Thoughts on this boat welcome, please

NB DW2

Featured Posts

If it's anything like what I saw today, those holes are the screw holes into the deck, with the photo having been taken looking up from within the tank.  The second photo is looking up and over the tank with the lid removed.  I think.

53 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

I made an offer, got knocked back and understand the full asking price of £80k is wanted.  Oh well.

I assume that the previous asking price (five thousand more, wasn't it?) was also wanted, but not obtained. Prices are not set in stone. If you really want the boat, there will surely be room for negotiation.

I wonder how many people ever have the insides of their water tank repainted? Our boat, now 14 years old, has an integral water tank. It doesn't leak and there are no brown bits coming out of the tap. So we presume that it doesn't need any attention. If it was a drinking water source, then we might pay it more attention, but of course it isn't.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I assume that the previous asking price (five thousand more, wasn't it?) was also wanted, but not obtained. Prices are not set in stone. If you really want the boat, there will surely be room for negotiation.

I wonder how many people ever have the insides of their water tank repainted? Our boat, now 14 years old, has an integral water tank. It doesn't leak and there are no brown bits coming out of the tap. So we presume that it doesn't need any attention. If it was a drinking water source, then we might pay it more attention, but of course it isn't.

Why isn't it a drinking source...?  I would want to use it for drinking water as I couldn't be bothered to use a separate source for drinking water 

Just now, Rob-M said:

Why isn't it a drinking source...?  I would want to use it for drinking water as I couldn't be bothered to use a separate source for drinking water 

Because we, in common with the majority of boaters I would think, don't drink the tap water.

It's hardly a "bother" to use a plastic bottle. What do you pour milk or Coke from?

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Because we, in common with the majority of boaters I would think, don't drink the tap water.

It's hardly a "bother" to use a plastic bottle. What do you pour milk or Coke from?

I have always drunk the tap water.

What container do you use for your drinking water? Not old plastic lemonade bottles I hope.

https://www.onegreenbottle.com/this-is-why-you-should-never-reuse-single-use-bottles/

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Strange thing, personal taste. I lived on board 4 different boats for a total of about 18 years, and three of the boats had integral steel tanks: the one with the stainless tank was a ridiculously small tank by comparison. Not once did I or the multitude of guests ever even think about not drinking the water from the tanks. Plastic bottles are an environmental nightmare, by the way.

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

What container do you use for your drinking water? Not old plastic lemonade bottles I hope.

No, milk bottles, washed before re-use of course.

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

https://www.onegreenbottle.com/this-is-why-you-should-never-reuse-single-use-bottles/

We have a couple of 15 litre (I think) camping water containers designed for potable water.

They live under the hob and are easily refilled every few days as needed.

9 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Plastic bottles are an environmental nightmare, by the way.

Yes, that's why we recycle them by using them as our drinking water containers, rather than throwing them away after we've finished the milk. It's better for the environment.

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's right.  Previously up for £85,000.  The feedback was, having had the offer rejected, the owner wanted full asking price.  I said there was no more room for negotiation on my part beyond what I'd offered (the figure started with a '7', so not unreasonable).  I had said to the broker compared to the Hudson they've just sold which looked in good order and was 5 years newer, and £10k less, the price is just too high.

It's almost as if the expectation now is that you'll knowingly have to massively overpay for what appears to be a good boat, or just overpay for an average boat.  That's based on brokers' attitude and backed up by the way boats are being bought and sold so quickly.

I've tried to justify it to myself in terms of price, depreciating the additional price over say, 5 years, but it's still a lot.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Athy said:

Yes, that's why we recycle them by using them as our drinking water containers, rather than throwing them away after we've finished the milk. It's better for the environment.

Without wishing to sound censorious, what do you do with them then? And to go back to the original point, what was wrong with the water in the tank?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ther looks to be a lot of screw holes with nothing in them, and a lot of mastic no longer 'masticing' the joints.

Did it leak ?

Edit

Is the that bow floor and the 'hole' is the water tank lid removed ?

The relection is looking down into the tank ?

Couldn't imagine the orientation initially.

The screw holes have had the bolts removed, only way to open it...

1st pic is the lid just off, 2nd pic is the inside of the tank, the only areas of fail (and not serious rust)are where the new anodes have been welded on the exterior.

2 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

That's right.  Previously up for £85,000.  The feedback was, having had the offer rejected, the owner wanted full asking price.  I said there was no more room for negotiation on my part beyond what I'd offered (the figure started with a '7', so not unreasonable).  I had said to the broker compared to the Hudson they've just sold which looked in good order and was 5 years newer, and £10k less, the price is just too high.

It's almost as if the expectation now is that you'll knowingly have to massively overpay for what appears to be a good boat, or just overpay for an average boat.  That's based on brokers' attitude and backed up by the way boats are being bought and sold so quickly.

I've tried to justify it to myself in terms of price, depreciating the additional price over say, 5 years, but it's still a lot.

I think it's very easy to let your heart rule your head ...especially so with boats! I agree they are asking to much; they are obviously hoping to take advantage of the current market demand - and who can blame them, I've been having the same thoughts! I reckon 2 years ago, this boat would have been marketed at around £60k (just my opinion). The sensible thing for any buyer would be to wait until the market rebounds back but how long will that take? I suppose if you think of keeping the boat long term i.e. 10 years plus and you find an boat which you really love, then just maybe it's worth paying over the odds.

We have an integral tank which hadn't been repainted since new (2008) and it was pretty ghastly. A couple of days nasty dirty work last summer and it is absolutely perfect now. We have decided to empty and dry the tank every year and touch up any bits that need doing. Very happy to drink the water, although we do have a seagull filter on the kitchen cold feed.  Re the price - it really doesn't matter how much someone does or doesn't want to pay if the owner is holding out for the asking price. Given the look and spec of the boat I don't blame him! 

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

Without wishing to sound censorious, what do you do with them then? And to go back to the original point, what was wrong with the water in the tank?

1. Fill them again.

2. I don't know, we've never drunk it.

The water tanks are surely drinking water, never considered anything else especially if it’s boiled for a cuppa.

It’s probably less safe sitting in an old plastic bottle 
Irons pretty good for you there’s plenty in most diets 

Leave them to consider the offer, it’s too much at the asking price I believe 

Edited by Stroudwater1
  • Greenie 1

All drinking water is tanked at some stage in its delivery.  The chlorine dissolved in the supply water will take quite a long while to disappear and in the meantime is sterilising your tank. 

Providing the tank is used regularly and refilled often I see no reason for not drinking the water, have done so for 50 years and I am only slightly do-lally and have only 6 toes on one foot.

• Greenie 2