Thoughts on this boat welcome, please

NB DW2

Featured Posts

It is a striking-looking boat. They didn't skimp on the fit-out (Franco-Belge stoves don't come cheap, for a start), and much care and attention appears to have gone into the woodwork.

Its lack of fenestration does count against it, though it does have dog-boxes (there's one over the galley, for example). To me its most glaring fault is that it's fitted with a modern engine; surely something chuggier such as a a Russell Newbery or a Gardner would have been more in keeping with the craft's style. But if the O.P. isn't worried about that, beta engines are reputed to be efficient and reliable.

I'm not sure that it's overpriced, as a lot went into its creation and a lot's gone into its upkeep. Viewing recommended, I'd say.

For me that fore end is the elephant in the room (The 'rivets' are more like a warthog in the room) Its trying much too hard. If you look at e.g. a station boat, that is a beautiful shape, good long taper, no exaggerated or sudden curves, no starved pinched look and I guess reasonably straightforward to build with the added bonus of being probably easier to push through the water.  Somewhere on the forum is a thread about the 'Frobisher' boats that were built years ago. They had the shape about right. If the front 20` was cut off and done again I might be happier with it.

• Greenie 1

Interesting reading the mixed views on this boat. For me, I am not a fan of tug decks and what is the use of the big box on the front? At that price I would expect decent worktops and not formica. Not enough windows for me either.  Over all it seems a very "fussy" boat and not one that says to me " I would LOVE to own that". 

But we all have different tastes,

haggis

14 minutes ago, haggis said:

what is the use of the big box on the front?

haggis

One of the photos shows it open, revealing a folding table, a ladder, a hurricane lamp, a hose reel and other items, so it obviously had come in useful for the storage of things which the owners didn't wish to keep tripping over.

I'm wondering also why it has a red seagoing Beta 50 as opposed to a green inland waterways Beta 50 Greenline?

Is there much difference?

I'm still not a fan of it, good lady wife is a bit miffed, we've recently become very divided on what we like in boats :( 

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

One of the photos shows it open, revealing a folding table, a ladder, a hurricane lamp, a hose reel and other items, so it obviously had come in useful for the storage of things which the owners didn't wish to keep tripping over.

Thank you. I missed that

I took a trip down first things this morning and knocked on a few doors, with lots of bemused older people answering the door and unable to help, despite trying.  The occupant of the last house I visited took a look at the photo and said the house and boat in the location was theirs...great, except their boat isn't Tarn.  After showing them some photos they didn't recognise it either.

I rang Great Haywood - they confirmed it's outlying and available, but a same day viewing wasn't possible.  So I'm booked in for tomorrow.  Usual questions over 'how much have you got to spend', and the answer's always the same from me; I'm looking for the best deal possible (I'm not telling you my budget else you'll do all you can to max me out!).

They did remind me the owner is looking for the full asking price.  Even without seeing it I'm not prepared to pay that, so we'll see how it goes.

4 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

I took a trip down first things this morning and knocked on a few doors, with lots of bemused older people answering the door and unable to help, despite trying.  The occupant of the last house I visited took a look at the photo and said the house and boat in the location was theirs...great, except their boat isn't Tarn.  After showing them some photos they didn't recognise it either.

I rang Great Haywood - they confirmed it's outlying and available, but a same day viewing wasn't possible.  So I'm booked in for tomorrow.  Usual questions over 'how much have you got to spend', and the answer's always the same from me; I'm looking for the best deal possible (I'm not telling you my budget else you'll do all you can to max me out!).

They did remind me the owner is looking for the full asking price.  Even without seeing it I'm not prepared to pay that, so we'll see how it goes.

I am so sorry if I sent you on a bum steer. I did try.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

I think Brian highlighted the wrong set of houses, I think the house is down the lane next to the garage on the main road just up from Wolseley Bridge.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am so sorry if I sent you on a bum steer. I did try.

Honestly, no need for an apology!  Your help was much appreciated!  It might still all work out for the best yet.  To be honest I saw the funny side.  The first elderly lady resident I met was overly helpful and inviting considering my Bic'd head and appearance.  

The only boat I incidentally saw which I recognised was Holly the Cafe Boat - one of the few tolerable 'Youtubers' - moored near Rugeley but it wasn't open.

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I think Brian highlighted the wrong set of houses, I think the house is down the lane next to the garage on the main road just up from Wolseley Bridge.

I did think  that didnt look right and it was nearer the garage but developments go up so quick these days so may have changed

Seems it's very much a "Marmite" boat. Personally I love it, there again I do have a "Northwich trader" which also generates equal number of love/hate comments. Interesting that it has two side hatches in the bedroom, I wonder if this suggest that this was originally meant to have an engine room and boatman's cabin but somewhere along its life, this was changed to a just a bedroom? Shame the owner is not looking in (maybe he is!) to give us some history. I will be interested to see what NB DW2 reports tomorrow.

• Greenie 2

I had a very decent viewing, much of it accompanied by the owner.  Plus points were the engine and cabin bilges - I've never seen such a dry boat.  Not a single drop of water or even condensation anywhere, or oil and general crap.  No sign of any water marks any where or any damp smell in cupboards.  I have a good look with a torch.  It's evident it's been well looked after.  All the equipment on board was demonstrated to be working.  The engine ran well, started first time and there's no smoke or fumes (3350 hours on it).  Pumps etc are all fairly easily accessible.  And there's pretty much all the equipment you could ever need on board.  Storage is just about OK for a liveaboard.  The bow storage unit is a very decent size and holds a lot, definitely a useful space.

The ply panels were painted white from new, so it's not a recent thing. Certainly no evidence of water staining.  But they could perhaps do with a re-paint, if I was being picky.  The water tank is integral which puts me off and hasn't been painted since new.  That's a £500+ plus job.  The exterior paint was done in 2016 - it generally looks well other than some of the red fading.  The biggest disappointment was the windows having not been removed during the repaint - there's very slight evidence of paint run on the portholes.  The bottom and sides were blacked in 2019 and the owner reckons to have had it done every 2 years or thereabouts (no reason to doubt him).

I made an offer, got knocked back and understand the full asking price of £80k is wanted.  Oh well.

Cheers.  It looks well considering its age.  The water tank, that is.  Integral isn't the end of the world.

It's very top money for what it is even in today's market.  That only my opinion of course.

I saw this a few days ago in person.  Same money, beautifully built and immaculate inside.  Very well looked after and equipment onboard is extensive.  Exterior paintwork is tired to say the least.  The roof's peeling etc.  But it's 8 years younger.  A very different kind of boat, granted, but just for context in terms of pricing.

The owner and his wife were lovely people to meet though.

7 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

I had a very decent viewing, much of it accompanied by the owner.  Plus points were the engine and cabin bilges - I've never seen such a dry boat.  Not a single drop of water or even condensation anywhere, or oil and general crap.  No sign of any water marks any where or any damp smell in cupboards.  I have a good look with a torch.  It's evident it's been well looked after.  All the equipment on board was demonstrated to be working.  The engine ran well, started first time and there's no smoke or fumes (3350 hours on it).  Pumps etc are all fairly easily accessible.  And there's pretty much all the equipment you could ever need on board.  Storage is just about OK for a liveaboard.  The bow storage unit is a very decent size and holds a lot, definitely a useful space.

The ply panels were painted white from new, so it's not a recent thing. Certainly no evidence of water staining.  But they could perhaps do with a re-paint, if I was being picky.  The water tank is integral which puts me off and hasn't been painted since new.  That's a £500+ plus job.  The exterior paint was done in 2016 - it generally looks well other than some of the red fading.  The biggest disappointment was the windows having not been removed during the repaint - there's very slight evidence of paint run on the portholes.  The bottom and sides were blacked in 2019 and the owner reckons to have had it done every 2 years or thereabouts (no reason to doubt him).

I made an offer, got knocked back and understand the full asking price of £80k is wanted.  Oh well.

Thanks for the viewing report. Did you by chance measure or ask about the draft? and did he give a reason for selling.

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

This is the water tank of a Stowe Hill from 2007, epoxied from new and opened up for the first time a month ago.

20210716_132501.jpg

Ther looks to be a lot of screw holes with nothing in them, and a lot of mastic no longer 'masticing' the joints.

Did it leak ?

Edit

Is the that bow floor and the 'hole' is the water tank lid removed ?

The relection is looking down into the tank ?

Couldn't imagine the orientation initially.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, BrandyMark said:

Thanks for the viewing report. Did you by chance measure or ask about the draft? and did he give a reason for selling.

I didn't ask / check, however the RCD manual and a rake of other booklets/paperwork is present.  I forgot to check.

The gentleman and his wife are 80+ years old and are retiring from boating after 46 years.  He was more agile than some 20 year olds I know though - pulling up mattresses, cushions and floor panels etc etc during the viewing like a good un.