Watford Lock Delays

Featured Posts

Those heading for Watford Locks may wish to be aware that the 3.15 pm last entry does not necessarily mean you get through if you're at the head of the queue by then. We arrived at the bottom shortly before 2pm,  and the boat before us went in minutes later. However, because there's a 3 hour(?) queue above, we won't be going in until 10am tomorrow.

It's quite lovely here on the lock landing, and we're in no rush so all is right with the world. However, those on a tighter schedule might need to check their timings. :)

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

14 minutes ago, matty40s said:

1. I am amazed it is still open.

2. I am not amazed it is still on Winter timings even though it is high season on the canals busiest ever summer. CRT not interested in  boating again.

They filled the hole with pea gravel and some resin. Lockie amazed it is all still there!

20 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

So what is the reason for the restricted hours? I may have to get through there in August.

They’ve drained down the summit reservoirs so it’s an attempt to save water…or put people off going that way if you are cynical…

Im hoping that repair does hold….I guess time will tell. 

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

They’ve drained down the summit reservoirs so it’s an attempt to save water…or put people off going that way if you are cynical…

Im hoping that repair does hold….I guess time will tell. 

Why drain the reservoirs?

We were the last boat down the Watford flight today. We arrived at the top lock just before 2pm and were tack on the a group of 3 craft descending. There were 3 or 4 boats in the lower pound by locks 1 and 2 on their way up.  Sea Dog looked comfortable as we passed.  

The Vlogies had thing under control and were working very efficiently as far as I could tell.  They each sort my permission to proceed, something I was pleased to see. 

19 hours ago, Idle Days said:

Sea Dog looked comfortable as we passed.  

Actually, we were very comfortable indeed! It was quite a lovely place to spend the afternoon and evening. The top end would be a bit noisier though, eh? I failed to recognise you as you passed ID - should've given me a high 5 or something!

Anyway, successfully through this morning. The lockies were all very friendly and efficient, and the transit as smooth as an oiled wheel!

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the restricted openings to be honest. It does put people off making unnecessary journeys through the locks, you'd be surprised how many hire boats go through some extra locks just to turn and go right back again. It also deters people making leisurely north/south transits (like me) and sends us the sensible way via the Coventry or B'ham 😂. All of which hopefully saves enough water for the locks to stay open for those that have to go that way 😁