Inverter Failurer

Theo

Featured Posts

Just at the wrong time our inverter has ceased to function.  It's a 3kVA PSW, has done three years' liveaboard duty and is now seven years old.

When I switch it on it goes "Beep" and then nothing.  The little green indicator light doesn't come on.  If I leave it switched on after five minutes or so it starts repeatedly beeping and still produces no output.  It's a Sunshine Power Inverter 3000W 12V Pure Sine Wave and can be viewed here.

My present thought's that it is dead, defunct, turned up its toes and no more but it would be good if it was repairable.  Does anyone have any thoughts.

It cost me £399 and I see that it is still sold at the same price.  I am inclined to get another of the same.  Is this wise?

Edited by Theo

I've had the same model in constant use for 5 years, and I'd buy another if the magic smoke came out.

Have you checked all the fuses before you do that though?  There are two covers on the back that hide the blade fuses.

Also if you have the remote switch and status lights it disables the switch on the inverter when used.

Thanks.

I haven't checked the fuses!  I will do that next but since the fault has been gradually appearing over the years, starting with the indicator light not working, I don't hold out much hope.

I'll be back...

N

Odd things happen to inverters when there is thunder about. Mine played up like yours, and I disconnected the 12v supply fuse whilst I checked it over. When I put the fuse back it worked as normal and has done ever since. Worth a try, dis it for a few hours whilst the capacitors discharge and see what happens.

It could simply be capacitors getting old, an easy fix.

So, I have been using (for just over a year now) an AIMS Power PWRIX120012S 1200W Pure Sine Inverter with Transfer Switch.

It worked pretty well, but it wasn't my favorite inverter because it did some <horrible things> with the ground floating equally in between the two neutral and hot AC output leads. (I contacted the manufacturer about this, it's normal on that model... dumb design. >:[)

Recently, it bit the dust. No configuration changes, etc. Just a cold morning and the system switched back to solar power (it simply disconnects the AC power incoming and the inverter would normally kick on) and I was greeted with a complete power outage inside and horrible shrill beeeeeeeeeeeep from the inverter.

I checked, the system did NOT over-volt according to my charge controller's logs. The voltage remained below the 15 volt threshold (and above the 10.5 volt minimum) since the inverter was last used 24 hours prior.

I checked the normal things, connections, input voltages, shorts on the output lines... nothing wrong.

So I took it out of the system for now. (Poor panels are now doing nothing with no where for the power to go. :/ ) I've got it on the bench in front of me now and I pulled the bottom cover to check the internal fuses -- They look and test good, so it's not those. I did also check the AC output fuse, it's also fine it.

24 minutes ago, aureliamarissa said:

So, I have been using (for just over a year now) an AIMS Power PWRIX120012S 1200W Pure Sine Inverter with Transfer Switch.

So I took it out of the system for now. (Poor panels are now doing nothing with no where for the power to go. 😕 )

Are we talking about a boat in the UK ?

Maybe I'm having a bad day but I'm not understanding your system - why would taking an inverter out of the 'system' stop the solar panels charging the batteries.

Normally the inverter would get its supply from the batteries, are you using the solar output as the input supply for your inverter ?

24 minutes ago, aureliamarissa said:

Just a cold morning and the system switched back to solar power (it simply disconnects the AC power incoming and the inverter would normally kick on) and I was greeted with a complete power outage

Can you provide a wiring diagram of your system ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 14/07/2021 at 16:03, matty40s said:

Was there any welding carried out when you had your paint job.? You seem to have lost both your inverter and solar controller at same time.

There was welding work.

The solar controller can be explained by the wong reconnection as described in the other thread.

The inverter has been showing signs of failure for a bit even before Theodora went in for painting.  The indicator light had been unreliable and there was an occasional beep from it.  It was working after the paint job and survived until 5 days into the present cruise.  All the fuses looked ok but when I tried to take them out (they are 35A rated) i needed pliers to remove most of them and then broke the holder when removing one of them.  It rather looks as if even if it was repairable before it no longer is. 😢

N

9 hours ago, Theo said:

There was welding work.

The solar controller can be explained by the wong reconnection as described in the other thread.

The inverter has been showing signs of failure for a bit even before Theodora went in for painting.  The indicator light had been unreliable and there was an occasional beep from it.  It was working after the paint job and survived until 5 days into the present cruise.  All the fuses looked ok but when I tried to take them out (they are 35A rated) i needed pliers to remove most of them and then broke the holder when removing one of them.  It rather looks as if even if it was repairable before it no longer is. 😢

N

It seems as though the inevitable decision is slowly dawning...

9 hours ago, Theo said:

There was welding work.

N

On 16/07/2021 at 07:44, Sea Dog said:

I am coming to that conclusion but will open it up at home when we get back.

Living without a fridge in this weather is not easy...

But we are going along with no. 1 son and family on their hire boat and that has a workign fridge so life is still pretty good.

N

3 years doesn't sound very long for an inverter to last unless perhaps it's been in constant use? My semi sine wave inverter is over 16 years old now and I've had various bits of welding done over the years. I don't see how welding makes a difference to the longevity of an inverter. If the earth clamp is near the work the circuit shouldn't affect anything should it?

Have to say I've never understood that either.

Is it one of those things thats repeated so often it become fact ? 

I'm not a good welder but I've welded or attempted to weld various things on boats tractors and cars and never disconnected batteries or alternators and as far as I know its never caused an issue...

Edited by jonathanA
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Have to say I've never understood that either.

Is it one of those things thats repeated so often it become fact ? 

I'm not a good welder but I've welded or attempted to weld various things on boats tractors and cars and never disconnected batteries or alternators and as far as I know its never caused an issue...

When attending a Lucas training course on alternators in the days of the 10 and 11 AC this was raised with the trainer. Bear in mind this was early days with alternators and most cars were still positive earth and both positive and negative earth alternators were available. The trainer says that they had investigated this and concluded that the welding but was just an excuse and the real cause of alternator failure during body work was idiots not checking the earth and connecting that battery in reverse for that particular vehicle. Hence, this belief gets a foothold. However, for the sake of twisting the master switches or disconnecting a battery terminal, my view is better safe than sorry.

• Greenie 3

Yes I would always isolate the batteries when having any welding done on the boat, but if you're really obsessive about protecting your boat's electrical systems you'd need to disconnect the alternators too and I'm not going to bother doing that. Ultimately most people rely on the proximity of the welder's earth clamp to the work he's doing.

That's all very interesting.  Perhaps I won't add that to my list of complaints, which, I have to say, is rather long.

N