Does anyone at C&RT understand boaters' needs?

Midnight

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, sueb said:

There was a manhole behind the elsan at Braunston turn which we used to pump out. A connector for a pump out would have been a welcome addition. 

I have used inspection chambers but you have to be very certain that they are on a foul drain, many near canals are surface water and run into the canal or streams behind.

@Tracy D'arth Just had this back from customer services. Apparently closed since June although I didn’t notice when I passed it and there seems no urgency to get it fixed! I also don’t remember getting it as an alert at the time. 

Braunston Customer Service Facilities - Grand Union Canal

Detail

From Date: 04/06/2021 00:00

To Date: On-going

Type: Advice

Reason: Information

Is the towpath closed? No

Closest waterway: Grand Union Canal

Starts at: Braunston Elsan disposal

Ends at: Braunston Elsan disposal

Description

We are having sever problems with the Elsan at Braunston.  We are working hard with our contractors to get this fixed, but it has become a much more complicated job then we expected. 

In the meantime, we advise customers to use the Elsan at the Braunston Midlands Chandlers, which is in the nearby area, just off the Grand Union Canal, onto the Oxford Canal.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will update the website as soon as we have more information on the repair works taking place. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19908-braunston-customer-service-facilities-grand-union-canal

Edited by frangar

I am sure I never got that notice either. Its a disgrace that it is still out of service, the contractors want sacking and a local guy given the job. It would be done in a day. Have they never heard of Dynorod?

The biggest problem with these sluices is that the yellow cap off cassettes fits perfectly down a 110mm pipe and causes a bad blockage.

45 minutes ago, frangar said:

@Tracy D'arth Just had this back from customer services. Apparently closed since June although I didn’t notice when I passed it and there seems no urgency to get it fixed! I also don’t remember getting it as an alert at the time. 

Braunston Customer Service Facilities - Grand Union Canal

Detail

From Date: 04/06/2021 00:00

To Date: On-going

Type: Advice

Reason: Information

Is the towpath closed? No

Closest waterway: Grand Union Canal

Starts at: Braunston Elsan disposal

Ends at: Braunston Elsan disposal

Description

We are having sever problems with the Elsan at Braunston.  We are working hard with our contractors to get this fixed, but it has become a much more complicated job then we expected. 

In the meantime, we advise customers to use the Elsan at the Braunston Midlands Chandlers, which is in the nearby area, just off the Grand Union Canal, onto the Oxford Canal.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will update the website as soon as we have more information on the repair works taking place. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19908-braunston-customer-service-facilities-grand-union-canal

"We are working hard with our contractors to get this fixed....." Joke?

Sounds to me like the prelude to closing it all together 'cos some walker or other has complained about it. After all there is another one, irrespective of why there was the need to provide two in the first place.

1 minute ago, JamesWoolcock said:

"We are working hard with our contractors to get this fixed....." Joke?

Sounds to me like the prelude to closing it all together 'cos some walker or other has complained about it. After all there is another one, irrespective of why there was the need to provide two in the first place.

There was a rumour from a fountains cleaner mentioned on here or Facebook…I can’t remember which…who said it might be closing. It was dismissed at the time as just a rumour but it makes you wonder. 

With the congestion on the bend for the other "services" in Braunston, closing the one near the marina would seem to be a very foolish thing for C&RT to do but then that is the way they do most things now.

There is the water point there too, would they close that as well?   It would be mayhem if they did.

Its an open air sluice so the rain does the cleaning for them, what's the beef?

Edited by Tracy D'arth