Does anyone at C&RT understand boaters' needs?

Midnight

Featured Posts

43 minutes ago, Pluto said:

I found a good use for old lock gates at Workum, in Friesland. There is also an excellent wooden boatyard there as well.

http://andrewconway.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/DSCF0070.jpg

Then there is the alternative use in the UK on the Staffs and Worcs, (Though I am sure these arent made from old gates !) 

Edited by Stroudwater1

5 hours ago, Pluto said:

I found a good use for old lock gates at Workum, in Friesland.

DSC_0258 lockgate seat.jpg

But if the gates have reached their end of life as lock gates, how long are they going to last like that, before they become a danger to passers by and people sitting in the seats?

12 hours ago, David Mack said:

But if the gates have reached their end of life as lock gates, how long are they going to last like that, before they become a danger to passers by and people sitting in the seats?

The photo was taken in 2017, so the gates were 48 years old then, and they had been installed as seating in 2009, so I would have thought that their new use would last at least 10 years. If installed near to the lock where the gates had been used originally, there should be marginal additional cost for installing them as seating. I would think that most canalside 'Art' installations only last 10 years.

17 hours ago, Pluto said:

I found a good use for old lock gates at Workum, in Friesland. There is also an excellent wooden boatyard there as well.

DSC_0258 lockgate seat.jpg

It wouldn't work in the UK, someone would set fire to them,  There use to be some old gates standing like that beside the Bridgewater Canal and they got burnt down.

• 2 weeks later...

CRT sent me an alert this morning to say the pound above lock 42, T&M, was going to be drained to let the CCTV survey team in. They promised that navigation would be restored by 14:00.

At 2 minutes past 2 I had another email to say the canal had been reopened and navigation had been restored. 

This seems like a good thread on which to say:

Well done CRT and its contractors!

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

CRT sent me an alert this morning to say the pound above lock 42, T&M, was going to be drained to let the CCTV survey team in. They promised that navigation would be restored by 14:00.

At 2 minutes past 2 I had another email to say the canal had been reopened and navigation had been restored. 

There seems to have been a number of these types of notices recently, looks being repaired early in the morning or late in a day to minimise impact to boaters but generally these sorts of notices go unmentioned on here.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Oh well done, not difficult to drain a pound and fill it, is it?

9 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

There seems to have been a number of these types of notices recently, looks being repaired early in the morning or late in a day to minimise impact to boaters but generally these sorts of notices go unmentioned on here.

We were below Colwich lock when they planned to close it between 6AM and 10AM. I got an email at 9-30 AM to say it was open. They have also been doing work overnight.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

On time, with due notice being given. I'd say that was fitness for purpose. 

The problem is Ian that some of the stoppages around here are months over and causing commercial boats real problems 

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

On time, with due notice being given. I'd say that was fitness for purpose. 

Not exactly a damaged lock gate to replace or removal and repair of a swing bridge is it?
 Stage 1: Close a paddle, open a paddle, pound drained, Survey team in filming.

Stage2: Survey team out, close a paddle, open a paddle, pound refilled.  Do you think that’s difficult?😂

17 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The problem is Ian that some of the stoppages around here are months over and causing commercial boats real problems 

Sounds like they’re spoiled down South. They talk in minutes, we talk in weeks and they’re not exactly damage repair stoppages. They drained a pound and refilled it, just think about it, not hard to do👍

Edited by PD1964

11 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I got one yesterday proclaiming the Rochdale was open, regrettably it isn't. The notice was about Lock 84, Lock 13 is a long term problem - bit like C&RT really.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Braunston sani disposal all chained up, do C&RT expect us to dump it in the cut? I am sure that a lot do out of necessity. I have not seen a notice about this.

Which one?? I’ve not had a notice either. 

Edited by frangar

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Which one?? 

The one at the water point on the towpath. Is there another one?  Oh, yes, the one on the bend at bridge 90 but I cant stop there long enough and its a long way for the hose, I'm pump out.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

The one at the water point on the towpath. Is there another one?  Oh, yes, the one on the bend at bridge 90 but I cant stop there long enough and its a long way for the hose, I'm pump out.

I didn't think either of the elsans in Braunston were suitable for self pump out. You should go in to Braunston marina and use their pump out.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

I didn't think either of the elsans in Braunston were suitable for self pump out. You should go in to Braunston marina and use their pump out.

No I should not have to.

They are both on mains drainage, there is absolutely no reason why I should not pump out there, my effluent is not going to block anything  unlike a porta potti or cassette.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The one on the towpath is deffo on mains. I’ve often done a self pump out there. As Tracy says the other is a way for a self pump out hose. Why should I line Tim’s pockets when I have my own kit? 

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ahhh yes. I haven’t had any notifications about that being closed. I shall ask crt about it! 

• Greenie 1