Does anyone at C&RT understand boaters' needs?

Midnight

Featured Posts

A friend has been trapped in at Ripon since the Oxclose lock failed back in April and even if he could escape to reach the Club drydock he would be trapped by the failure of Selby swing bridge or face travelling around Trent Falls . Today C&RT announced "The lock (Oxclose) should be available from Saturday 17th July." There website also proclaims "The pedestrian footbridge (Selby) is programmed to be installed between the 5th and 20th of July. Following this installation we will be able to swing the bridge to allow boaters to move." Alas poor boaters and friend wont be able to move too far for too long as the latest from C&RT says Ferrybridge Flood Lock will be closed from 19/7 to 13/8 for "A stoppage is required to replace the downstream gates and cills." Now isn't Ferrybridge a Flood Lock ? So why does it need to be closed if there's no flood? Why does it need to be repaired now? The gates at the other end could be used to in a flood. Don't C&RT understand boaters need the boat?

There are uncharitable people who suggest the C&RT North East office have less brain cells than an amoeba and care nothing for boaters needs and judging by the never-ending stream of stoppages in the area who could argue with that?

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Now isn't Ferrybridge a Flood Lock ? So why does it need to be closed if there's no flood? Why does it need to be repaired now?

Only complete idiots would try and repair a flood gate whilst the river was in flood!

If they're working on the gates and chills they certainly won't want boats going past while they do the job, and they might even need to dewater a section to do the work.

38 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Only complete idiots would try and repair a flood gate whilst the river was in flood!

If they're working on the gates and chills they certainly won't want boats going past while they do the job, and they might even need to dewater a section to do the work.

In any event, it is a flood lock, not flood gates. This means that it needs both ends in order for a boat to pass through.

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You obviously don't know that stretch. Dewatering a river??? BTW its the down stream gates that need repairing.

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Stop making disparaging remarks about amoeba comparing them to C&RT managers.

Sorry I apologise to all amoebas or is that amoebaii?

4 hours ago, Midnight said:

A friend has been trapped in at Ripon since the Oxclose lock failed back in April and even if he could escape to reach the Club drydock he would be trapped by the failure of Selby swing bridge or face travelling around Trent Falls . Today C&RT announced "The lock (Oxclose) should be available from Saturday 17th July." There website also proclaims "The pedestrian footbridge (Selby) is programmed to be installed between the 5th and 20th of July. Following this installation we will be able to swing the bridge to allow boaters to move." Alas poor boaters and friend wont be able to move too far for too long as the latest from C&RT says Ferrybridge Flood Lock will be closed from 19/7 to 13/8 for "A stoppage is required to replace the downstream gates and cills." Now isn't Ferrybridge a Flood Lock ? So why does it need to be closed if there's no flood? Why does it need to be repaired now? The gates at the other end could be used to in a flood. Don't C&RT understand boaters need the boat?

There are uncharitable people who suggest the C&RT North East office have less brain cells than an amoeba and care nothing for boaters needs and judging by the never-ending stream of stoppages in the area who could argue with that?

Has your friend made a formal complaint to CRT? I certainly would have done by now. 

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

You obviously don't know that stretch. Dewatering a river??? BTW its the down stream gates that need repairing.

Ferrybridge Flood lock allows passage when the river levels and the canalised section levels differ. It is only open both ends when the Aire and the canal levels are equalised. Like Castleford.

If only one set of gates was in operation passage would only be possible when the levels where completely equal. Like Sawley.

We rarely encountered Ferrybridge with gates open both ends, nor Castleford.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ferrybridge Flood lock allows passage when the river levels and the canalised section levels differ. It is only open both ends when the Aire and the canal levels are equalised. Like Castleford.

If only one set of gates was in operation passage would only be possible when the levels where completely equal. Like Sawley.

Which would be infinitely more helpful than closing it. 

Having passed that way many times I would say the flood locks at Ferrybridge and especially Castleford are open both ends more than not in the summer months.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Which would be infinitely more helpful than closing it. 

Having passed that way many times I would say the flood locks at Ferrybridge and especially Castleford are open both ends more than not in the summer months.

Ah right. We used to boat in winter/spring too and often couldn't boat straight through either of them. Along with West Haddlesey come to think of it.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I have on a number of occasions which is always a bonus!

13 hours ago, Midnight said:

Lots of friends have made formal complaints up here but apart from the usual courteous and apologetic reply the amoebas are still running the shop

The stoppage was originally planned for this autumn but the condition of the gates suggested an early replacement was highly desirable to avoid complete failure.  With a seven month stoppage of the waterway about to end it made sense not to then have another long one shortly afterwards. Doing the work now during the better weather and longer daylight hours means a shorter stoppage which should be completed in time for the re-opening at New Bridge mid August. This was agreed by the stoppage sub group of the Trust's Navigation Advisory Group as the best way forward taking everything into consideration. 

It is also fair to say that some of the delay to reopening navigation at Selby has been caused by the council not playing ball and allowing a temporary closure of the road.

I have to say I was also rather alarmed yesterday to see the Ferrybridge stoppage as it has caused a rapid adjustment to my plans but I do understand the rationale for doing it now.

27 minutes ago, fanshaft said:

The stoppage was originally planned for this autumn but the condition of the gates suggested an early replacement was highly desirable to avoid complete failure.  With a seven month stoppage of the waterway about to end it made sense not to then have another long one shortly afterwards. Doing the work now during the better weather and longer daylight hours means a shorter stoppage which should be completed in time for the re-opening at New Bridge mid August. This was agreed by the stoppage sub group of the Trust's Navigation Advisory Group as the best way forward taking everything into consideration. 

Obviously didn't consider the paying customers at Ripon & Selby all we need now is an announcement that the Pollington breach is fixed then C&RT can piss the Goole boaters off too. How about leaving a week between Ripon and Selby opening to allow trapped boaters to escape? Too much to think about  at C&RT HQ? 

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Obviously didn't consider the paying customers at Ripon & Selby all we need now is an announcement that the Pollington breach is fixed then C&RT can piss the Goole boaters off too. How about leaving a week between Ripon and Selby opening to allow trapped boaters to escape? Too much to think about  at C&RT HQ? 

Go to sea, you know you want to .................................

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Go to sea, you know you want to .................................

Yes I do,but how do I cope without the reassuring sight of dry land a few feet either side? 😰

2 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Yes I do,but how do I cope without the reassuring sight of dry land a few feet either side? 😰

I agree. My parents had several sea-going boats but I find the sea a scary and unpredictable place. I even find some rivers quite nerve-wracking. Give me stagnant shallow muddy ditches any day!

11 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Once Selby is open it would be possible to escape to the rest of the network via Keadby and the tidal Trent. 

Not much help to my friend who has had to cancel his dry dock booking at Battyeford for the third time.