Former Norfolk Broads Boat Yard for Sale

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/former-norfolk-boatyard-st-olaves-auction-8132312

The former Alphacraft boatyard at St Olaves is for sale by auction. Sale will be freehold.

The yard has quite a substantial river frontage, although the basins are long since silted up and now filled in with reeds.

Could be an interesting project for someone with deep pockets. 

38 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/former-norfolk-boatyard-st-olaves-auction-8132312

The former Alphacraft boatyard at St Olaves is for sale by auction. Sale will be freehold.

The yard has quite a substantial river frontage, although the basins are long since silted up and now filled in with reeds.

Could be an interesting project for someone with deep pockets. 

4.25 acres plus river frontage for a guide price of £200-250k (although it will probably go for a fair bit more) doesn't sound that much to me. Your pockets don't need to be that deep.

I don't know that part of the world, but I imagine there must be potential mooring income more or less from day one, as well as the prospect of developing other leisure-based uses on the rest of the site.

17 minutes ago, billS said:

Is that the wreck of the boat that spent a few weeks hard aground by Somerleyton bridge in the pictures?

No. It was a mock up of the Alphacraft 35 Highliner. They cut down a 44 Highliner to create the 35.

It never was intended to be a boat to be fitted out and launched.

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

4.25 acres plus river frontage for a guide price of £200-250k (although it will probably go for a fair bit more) doesn't sound that much to me. Your pockets don't need to be that deep.

I don't know that part of the world, but I imagine there must be potential mooring income more or less from day one, as well as the prospect of developing other leisure-based uses on the rest of the site.

I assume you have not looked at the pictures?

The mooring basins are all full of silt and reeds and will need dredging and emptying of foliage before any boats can get in there!

No doubt you would need to get BA permission to do this which won't be a quick process.

11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

No doubt you would need to get BA permission to do this which won't be a quick process.

There may be a newt or toad in there. You wouldn't believe the agro a friend had repairing his slipway and that was already concrete.

25 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I assume you have not looked at the pictures?

The mooring basins are all full of silt and reeds and will need dredging and emptying of foliage before any boats can get in there!

I was assuming bankside moorings on the main river initially, perhaps with some basic staging. Opening up the basins could come later, but I agree getting the necessary consents could be time consuming (and uncertain).

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I was assuming bankside moorings on the main river initially, perhaps with some basic staging. Opening up the basins could come later, but I agree getting the necessary consents could be time consuming (and uncertain).

You would have to get to the river side from the yard area across the basins!!

What appears to be land on the aerial shots is the silted up basins now full of reeds.

I doubt the BA would give approval for linear bankside mooring in that location. It will be a case if moorings is the route the new owners go down of having to get the basins dredges and cleared out first. A time consuming and costly exercise.

There is then the ongoing costs of dredging. The other basins on that side of the river at the other yards are fighting a losing battle with silting up and they are not on the inside of a bend on a fairly tidal river!!