Jump to content

River Nene, Wadenhoe Lock EA


matty40s

Featured Posts

Hi,

Thanks for that pointer.

I have received an email to advise gearbox returned to Rotork and assessment expected in 2 days!!

Just cannot understand why EA can't manually operate for 2 hours each day to keep boats moving?

Lack of spares is one thing but lack of solution to a recurring problem is a serious management failure - there is a solution EA go for it and get us moving PLEASE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find it interesting that there are two very similar failures to gearboxes, not something I have of heard before.

 

Still thank God it's not cart, the lock would be out of action for months with hazard tape and a laminated notice stuck to it.😱

 

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From our experience at Islip yesterday my money would be on that becoming another stoppage.

I've given EA my observations to help them address.

The River Nene is a great river and EA do so much good work but let themselves down by lack of application in some regions.

Toilet cleaning facilities at Wellingborough were broken 6 weeks ago when we came down river but see notice is still in place doh!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Slowmover said:

From our experience at Islip yesterday my money would be on that becoming another stoppage.

I've given EA my observations to help them address.

The River Nene is a great river and EA do so much good work but let themselves down by lack of application in some regions.

Toilet cleaning facilities at Wellingborough were broken 6 weeks ago when we came down river but see notice is still in place doh!!

 

Thanks! I'd be very interested to know what the problem at Islip was.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

Lowering the gate was accompanied by loads of sqealing from what sounded like a siezed guide wheel.

When raising the gate it stopped at the initial timer position but when time delay completed and green indication given would not raise any further even though lock was empty.

Lowering the gate again and re-lifting to delay position and waiting for green indicator then allowed gate to be fully raised.

I'd guess caused by excess resistance.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Slowmover said:

Hi,

Lowering the gate was accompanied by loads of sqealing from what sounded like a siezed guide wheel.

When raising the gate it stopped at the initial timer position but when time delay completed and green indication given would not raise any further even though lock was empty.

Lowering the gate again and re-lifting to delay position and waiting for green indicator then allowed gate to be fully raised.

I'd guess caused by excess resistance.

 

 

Thanks for that, I am prewarned ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Islip was squealing like a pig when we came through both ways.

Apparently the EA have 4 sets of spares of both gearboxes and motors, but this year there have already been 6 breakdowns so are applying for more funding for more spares.

Thank you. I will stock up on WD40...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Slowmover said:

Hi,

Lowering the gate was accompanied by loads of sqealing from what sounded like a siezed guide wheel.

When raising the gate it stopped at the initial timer position but when time delay completed and green indication given would not raise any further even though lock was empty.

Lowering the gate again and re-lifting to delay position and waiting for green indicator then allowed gate to be fully raised.

I'd guess caused by excess resistance.

 

Interesting. I can understand that if one end of the gearbox is going around (connected to the motor) and the other end is not (a seized guide etc) then something is going to fail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Interesting. I can understand that if one end of the gearbox is going around (connected to the motor) and the other end is not (a seized guide etc) then something is going to fail.

If one end of the gearbox is going round and the other end is not, then something has already failed!

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well another day of mixed information from EA

One source says assessment of gearbox fault expected by close of business tomorrow

One source says gearbox returned today assessment will take 72 hours.

Whichever is correct no repair this side of weekend.

Willy Watt/ Blackthorn Marina filling up with several boats that are trapped downstream.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Slowmover said:

Willy Watt/ Blackthorn Marina filling up with several boats that are trapped downstream.

I have been asked when I am coming back as they need to use my mooring, anyone on mooring 19 begone by Wednesday am as Islip permitting I will be back then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bosley Dave said:

Morning - does anybody have any news? I tried contacting the EA yesterday but got no info back. 

I have just popped in to Foxes at March. They knew no more than what is in the published EA notices. I may try calling or texting one of the inspectors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I have just popped in to Foxes at March. They knew no more than what is in the published EA notices. I may try calling or texting one of the inspectors. 

I just spoke to Andy Hall, one of the river inspectors. No promises as they are in the hands of the specialist contractor in Leeds. But he hopes will be one day towards end next week.

 

That matches Wadenhoe which was nine days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morning. I'm in Blackthorne marina. The staff have told me they have spoken to EA. Apparently they have the parts back and will start work over next few days. Could be open Monday or Tuesday. Anyone close enough to lock to spot any activity?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.