River Nene, Wadenhoe Lock EA

matty40s

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, enigmatic said:

But seriously, do people think this is the sort of problem that won't be fixed by the time I plan on getting there in a couple of weeks or so? And how full are the public moorings looking and is 48hrs still in place?

Above the lock there is plenty of mooring, not sure how full it is. Below the lock not a lot.

I'm glad we turned round when we did or we would still be stuck on the Nene, although lovely, some of us still have to work and a paint job was waiting for me.

Very disappointing really for the EA, one of the reasons we went down was to report back on why not many boats visit....

The latest intel I have (from a local boatyard) is that the contractor pulled out all the stops for the Wadenhoe repair, but has not been able/willing to do the same this time, given the other work they have on at the moment. Not helped by EA not carrying any spare motors or gearboxes. 

I have commented to EA that CRT seem to me to be doing a better job of communicating, eg sending out notices and updates saying "X has happened, an engineer is visiting on Thursday" and then on Thursday "We have now inspected the problem, and will solve it by doing Y. This requires mobilisation of ABC" and then "we hope to reopen on date Z, with supervised operation between the hours of D and E". etc etc.  Sadly we are not getting any of that transparency from the EA.   

17 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

The latest intel I have (from a local boatyard) is that the contractor pulled out all the stops for the Wadenhoe repair, but has not been able/willing to do the same this time, given the other work they have on at the moment. Not helped by EA not carrying any spare motors or gearboxes. 

I have commented to EA that CRT seem to me to be doing a better job of communicating, eg sending out notices and updates saying "X has happened, an engineer is visiting on Thursday" and then on Thursday "We have now inspected the problem, and will solve it by doing Y. This requires mobilisation of ABC" and then "we hope to reopen on date Z, with supervised operation between the hours of D and E". etc etc.  Sadly we are not getting any of that transparency from the EA.   

Today's bulletin:

* Yarwell lock closed. Gearbox removed for repair.

* I had a really helpful conversation with the team leader at EA, who knows what is going on.

* Yarwell should be fixed later today.

* Gearbox is being reinstalled at Irthlingborough today. The rumour reported above about the contractor is not correct.

* Main outstanding risk is that some idiot has been locking boats through at Irthlingborough (some sort of manual DIY operation of a rather large guillotine - what could possibly go wrong?). EA not sure if they have done more than cosmetic damage (still criminal damage in my book!). They should know later today.

• Greenie 1

I think everything is fixed now, CW Boatmovers has just brought 2 boats over from the Gt Ouse, Nene and up the GU.

Unfortunately, his mate (Andy) on one of the  boats "Linda Rose" has no respect for slowing down much, other boats, or who-evers boat he is moving which was at full throttle to within 10 feet of us.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

I think everything is fixed now, CW Boatmovers has just brought 2 boats over from the Gt Ouse, Nene and up the GU.

Unfortunately, his mate (Andy) on one of the  boats "Linda Rose" has no respect for slowing down much, other boats, or who-evers boat he is moving which was at full throttle to within 10 feet of us.

Yes, was fixed a week  ago. 

• Unimpressed 1