River Nene, Wadenhoe Lock EA

matty40s

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I am watching a Facebook thread on this subject too, and will cross post any new information. My current ETA at Wadenhoe is 31 July! I still don't quite understand how an underpowered motor can damage a gearbox, but never mind!

Our ETA there is 3rd August so hopefully it will be sorted by then  😉

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I still don't quite understand how an underpowered motor can damage a gearbox, but never mind!

They were probably hoping to l forget about it for a while and leave the "temporary" underpowered motor there for the rest of the season. But it sounds like bodging it and not fixing it properly in the first place created a much bigger problem. 

As DIYers we all know the principal of a half arsed job causing more problems don't we? Why don't they?

Edited by blackrose

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

They were probably hoping to l forget about it for a while and leave the "temporary" underpowered motor there for the rest of the season. But it sounds like bodging it and not fixing it properly in the first place created a much bigger problem. 

As DIYers we all know the principal of a half arsed job causing more problems don't we? Why don't they?

When we used it seemed like the gearbox was making a lot of noise and the gate hesitated now and again (perhaps it was getting momentarily jammed?) but that still doesn't explain how a underpowered slow lift and decent would jigger the gears. I could see how it may jigger the motor.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Midnight said:

When we used it seemed like the gearbox was making a lot of noise and the gate hesitated now and again (perhaps it was getting momentarily jammed?) but that still doesn't explain how a underpowered slow lift and decent would jigger the gears. I could see how it may jigger the motor.

Maybe the gearbox was on the way out before the motor

41 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe the gearbox was on the way out before the motor

The EA used to have a shed load of spares, now they have none. They used to turn up and just replace the damaged bits with new, now they bodge and scarper.

Fitting non standard bits to something designed to operate a certain way may work for a short time, it's not a permanent fix which it's looking like the Wadenhoe bodge ended up like being.

At least 2 boaters had boat jobs booked the other sides, we had a potential pilot booked for the Wash, the local pub probably lost a weekends or more trade from boaters as the queues built up...and the farmer below the lock probably had a hernia having to swear at so many boats trying to stick pins in his land.

Titchmarsh lock has been wheel operated for quite a while, the motor is lying on the ground next to the box. You would think an local boating club like the Titchmarsh would have some influence.

The Wellingborough pumpout hasnt worked for at least 6 months, another EA site can get theirs repaired within 48 hours. 

• Greenie 1

It seems to me, (and I have been tasked with doing a report), that one part of EA wants more boats on it's beautiful river, and another part, doesnt want to provide a basic service that moving boats require....

More shall follow..

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

Titchmarsh lock has been wheel operated for quite a while, the motor is lying on the ground next to the box. You would think an local boating club like the Titchmarsh would have some influence.

I'm sure they've made efforts. They've also been trying to get what looks like a perfectly good lock landing below Titchmarsh lock reopened. It just needs a bit of repointing to fill the cracks in the cement fascia. They're not structural cracks but if they're not addressed then they will probably become structural.

And now there is a similar problem at Irthlingborough. Early rumours suggest might be fixed by 6 August.

My current plan is to remove the newly fitted part at Wadenhoe and carry it up river by boat, and install it at Irthlingborough. What could possibly go wrong??

3 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

And now there is a similar problem at Irthlingborough. Early rumours suggest might be fixed by 6 August.

My current plan is to remove the newly fitted part at Wadenhoe and carry it up river by boat, and install it at Irthlingborough. What could possibly go wrong??

Can you wait until I have passed Wadenhoe so at least I can get back to Blackthorn. ;)

• Greenie 1

Luckily for us, we came through before it broke, didnt seem to be a problem the other day.

I feel sorry for the crews of Black Swan(Gayton share boat), last weeks crew were supposed to get to Peterborough and changeover Friday for the next crew to bring her back. Because of Wadenhoe closure, they did top half, returned and changed over at Stoke Bruerne.  This weeks crew will be beyond Irthlingborough at the moment..

Very very many years ago I recall the guillotines on almost all or possibly all being wound by hand. It took a while, but it did give time to get the minnows and stickleback off the guillotine protrusions nicely. I've not been down there since the 70s, are they all electric now? 

Just now, Stroudwater1 said:

Very very many years ago I recall the guillotines on almost all or possibly all being wound by hand. It took a while, but it did give time to get the minnows and stickleback off the guillotine protrusions nicely. I've not been down there since the 70s, are they all electric now? 

Six manual guillotines, plus about the same number with  V doors at both ends. 

I'm down river from Irthlingborough and tried contacting EA this morning as advised in the closure notice but can't get an answer to phone call or the email given to me by Customer Services.

As EA monitor this forum PLEASE can they give an update on the situation as this helps those affected by unexpected breakdowns to plan how to survive around the chaos.

EA Customer services are there to advise us and help us. The posts on Wadenhoe show that EA haven't grasped the impact and how to improve their reputation.

Is it too much to ask for just one call back each day?

Seems to me a couple of electric winches and a generator in a truck ready to deploy could solve any problems.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, Slowmover said:

I'm down river from Irthlingborough and tried contacting EA this morning as advised in the closure notice but can't get an answer to phone call or the email given to me by Customer Services.

I just ask @Ang_WaterwaysEA on Twitter it usually gets an answer. I also report navigation blockages the same way.