River Nene, Wadenhoe Lock EA

matty40s

Featured Posts

Woodford, absolutely stunning other than having to chase a young inquisitive bullock away, I just explained we were eating lamb tonight and moo-ed loudly.

The pear tree moorings are stunning, and will probably provide good shade for the weekends heat, but wanted to cruise a bit further.....and the Local boat club will probably descend en-mass as they cant go anywhere else.

Edited by matty40s

50 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've got a couple of days off so left my mooring at Lilford this afternoon and went the other way towards Fotheringhay. I'm moored at an unofficial mooring the other side of Oundle tonight.

I'll be keeping my eye on the situation at Wadenhoe.

IMG_20210715_205045.jpg

What a lovely boat!

46 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Woodford, absolutely stunning other than having to chase a young inquisitive bullock away, I just explained we were eating lamb tonight and moo-ed loudly.

The pear tree moorings are stunning, and will probably provide good shade for the weekends heat, but wanted to cruise a bit further.....and the Local boat club will probably descend en-mass as they cant go anywhere else.

I moored at Woodford for 2 nights a couple of years ago. Yes it's lovely there and there's a good pub in the village.

36 minutes ago, paul68 said:

What a lovely boat!

Thanks. It's frowned upon by many on this forum (they take delight in fat shaming) but I think it's superb! 😋

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I moored at Woodford for 2 nights a couple of years ago. Yes it's lovely there and there's a good pub in the village.

Thanks. It's frowned upon by many on this forum (fat shaming) but I think it's superb! 😋

Nowt wrong with yours, it's on a river,  moves, actually has an anchor ready, a ladder so you can access the roof, looks good with potholes...

Perhaps I will get shot now.

We did meet a cream one 12x70 at Islip lock , us going down, who thought just a centre line on the lower pontoon would be enough....he spent 10 minutes getting it out of the left hand trees, 4 crew and didnt have a clue.

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

Thanks. It's frowned upon by many on this forum (they take delight in fat shaming) but I think it's superb! 😋

It has a rugged, almost military look about it, I really like it and if you do that's all that matters!

Well, the farmers down here really dont like boaters do they. Our chairs were thrown in the nettles behind the mooring early this morning(Kathy had been out with camera at 5.30am and they were ok then) just before the farmer started to mow the upper field.

He has put a brand new barbed wire fence across the top end of the mooring with the access stile covered with barbed wire too....and theres no other way of accessing the village. So we've had to cancel our dinner booking at the Dukes Arms, hopefully the landlord who is a boat owner will have a word with the farmer.

34 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Well, the farmers down here really dont like boaters do they. Our chairs were thrown in the nettles behind the mooring early this morning(Kathy had been out with camera at 5.30am and they were ok then) just before the farmer started to mow the upper field.

He has put a brand new barbed wire fence across the top end of the mooring with the access stile covered with barbed wire too....and theres no other way of accessing the village. So we've had to cancel our dinner booking at the Dukes Arms, hopefully the landlord who is a boat owner will have a word with the farmer.

Is this a FOTRN mooring?

Blimey, you're not having much luck with farmers on this trip!

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Yes, Woodford. He's cut the mooring off from the Nene Way, the footpath is on the other side of the field he has barely wired off.

I thought you could just walk to the top of that field and hang a right to the footpath past a couple of houses and possibly church to get to the village? I'm sure some local residents walk their dogs in that field. 

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Just cut it down, you must have the kit on board to do that.

Its an offence to obstruct a public right of way, if it is indeed a ROW.

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

I thought you could just walk to the top of that field and hang a right to the footpath past a couple of houses and possibly church to get to the village? I'm sure some local residents walk their dogs in that field. 

You could, thats the way we headed out to dinner, you can still see the old track, now barred by fence. NENE WAY is the right of way across the top of the field, which is no longer accessible.The pub, fish n chip shop and local store will all lose a bit of revenue. 

Edited by matty40s

Oh dear that was a good mooring for the village.

I wonder who or what pissed the farmer off?

Has the farmer fenced off the path from his field  or has he fenced off the moorings from his field ?

I know the effect is the same for boaters but it might give some insight into why.

I was hoping it was the footpath from the field to keep the walkers in check, looks like something/someone has hacked him off :(

Or he has just done it and not considered the ramifications to boaters.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

I was hoping it was the footpath from the field to keep the walkers in check, looks like something/someone has hacked him off :(

Which is why a lot of good moorings ended up with "No Mooring" signs a few years back.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

The only person who could have come down and chucked our chairs around 2 mornings ago was the farmer.

How did he get past the fence..........................it could mean there is/was a way through ;)

Edited by Loddon

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

How did he get past the fence..........................it could mean there is/was a way through ;)

maybe he flung the chairs  then put up the fence?

Edited by paul68

49 minutes ago, matty40s said:

There is a barbed wire covered gate, with a padlock and chain on it.

Thanks for answering that, I had visions of a continous fence with no gate.

23 minutes ago, matty40s said:

No update as of 9am.this morning, BoaterO2 above seems to have a better indication of timescale.

I am watching a Facebook thread on this subject too, and will cross post any new information. My current ETA at Wadenhoe is 31 July! I still don't quite understand how an underpowered motor can damage a gearbox, but never mind!