River Nene, Wadenhoe Lock EA

matty40s

Featured Posts

Bollox, I'd planned to go through on Thursday. I came through about a month ago and literally had to keep my finger on the button for 10 mins solid. 

Apparently it had been like that for a while with an undersized motor fitted, so the EA has had ample opportunity to get it fixed. 

Theres already 4 boats below the lock, only us above so far.

According to inside information, the EA will probably fix it very quickly, the engineers were on site today within 2 hours, but left at 4.30pm.

Edited by matty40s

Theres some lovely walks, we might move back towards a tree filled island for the weekends heat though.

Pub is blaming crap service on Covid. Cant serve you in garden as not enough staff...but when you try to find someone to pay, theres 6 surrounding the bar chatting. Mowing the lawns next to the boats after 10pm is also a bit anti social.

21 hours ago, blackrose said:

Bollox, I'd planned to go through on Thursday. I came through about a month ago and literally had to keep my finger on the button for 10 mins solid. 

Apparently it had been like that for a while with an undersized motor fitted, so the EA has had ample opportunity to get it fixed. 

I found a thin bendy willow twig wedged between door and button worked very well. Gave you time to put the kettle on,make coffee and drink it while watching the gate creep up 🙂

8 hours ago, enigmatic said:

What a great place to be stuck (unless you really need the water point that's also a pub but are the wrong side of the lock, I guess)

No he's on the right side of the lock, less than a 100 yards from the bar,

10 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

No he's on the right side of the lock, less than a 100 yards from the bar,

If you want to abide by the silly rules and disappoint yourself,  yes.

However, today we found the Nene way and discovered a fantastic little shop in Aldwincle called Watties, HG Watts which has everything you need at normal prices.

Then we paddled up and down past the wier getting used to the new paddle boards before another bloomin  barbeque.

20210715_000258.jpg

20210715_000425.jpg

Edited by matty40s

We were one of the last boats to get through. The gearbox was making a lot of clicking and clanking. Two boats followed and the  then one who managed to lower the guillotine but it wouldn't go back up. Two EA chaps came out and managed to get another boat through then it gave up completely.  We were lucky to make it to the King's Head water, good food and good beer. 

47 minutes ago, Midnight said:

We were one of the last boats to get through. The gearbox was making a lot of clicking and clanking. Two boats followed and the  then one who managed to lower the guillotine but it wouldn't go back up. Two EA chaps came out and managed to get another boat through then it gave up completely.  We were lucky to make it to the King's Head water, good food and good beer. 

We must have passed you then, as the last boat throughs crew were having an afternoon tea when we moored up.

Latest update is a 48 hour turnaround on the gearbox rebuild, the EA used to have lots of spares, but dont any more!! 

So we are turning round and going to chunter back up slowly, taking in more of the little villages and lovely FOTRN moorings. 

Edit to add, just clicked, you were the John Wright boat owner.

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

We must have passed you then, as the last boat throughs crew were having an afternoon tea when we moored up.

Latest update is a 48 hour turnaround on the gearbox rebuild, the EA used to have lots of spares, but dont any more!! 

So we are turning round and going to chunter back up slowly, taking in more of the little villages and lovely FOTRN moorings. 

Edit to add, just clicked, you were the John Wright boat owner.

You tied up next to us at the Kings Head. That was me you were talking to. 

I've got a couple of days off so left my mooring at Lilford this afternoon and went the other way towards Fotheringhay. I'm moored at an unofficial mooring the other side of Oundle tonight.

I'll be keeping my eye on the situation at Wadenhoe.

IMG_20210715_205045.jpg

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1