Radio onboard

Featured Posts

Hi all,has anyone got any recommendations for a radio on board a narrow boat, I,m looking to see if there are any radio,s with a plug in external aerial so it can be mounted outside for better reception, many thanks,sorry I should of said the radio is for music like,radio 2,gold,smooth, that sort of thing,at the moment I have to put inverter on then the wi fi then a tablet then a Bluetooth  speaker  a right faff, TIA

Edited by dreadnought
More information

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Are you looking for a VHF two way marine radio, or a radio to listen to The Archers? I've got both sorts on board.

Jen

I have a Status tv/radio aerial plugged into a Panasonic car radio

I now have about the simplest radio possible. A battery powered  analogue FM/LW one with an extending aerial that sits on top of a jar of rice in the kitchen so that the aerial is by a nice big window. 4 of AA rechargable batteries will last weeks and weeks between charges. Few places it won't pick up what I want to listen to. I have used a car radio connected to a roof aerial in the past and this is just as good for reception. Old style steam radio still has a lot going for it, in terms of low power consumption on a boat and the plans to sell off the frequencies keep getting put back.

Jen

29 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I now have about the simplest radio possible. A battery powered  analogue FM/LW one with an extending aerial that sits on top of a jar of rice in the kitchen so that the aerial is by a nice big window. 4 of AA rechargable batteries will last weeks and weeks between charges. Few places it won't pick up what I want to listen to. I have used a car radio connected to a roof aerial in the past and this is just as good for reception. Old style steam radio still has a lot going for it, in terms of low power consumption on a boat and the plans to sell off the frequencies keep getting put back.

Jen

That's a nice setup. What sort of rice is required?

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Basmati for the best quality reception.

I've heard you get a lot of static with Couscous and that Lentils cause feedback, what's your experience? :D 

@dreadnought, we run a Sony car head unit connected to a rubber duck-type aerial on the roof (although someone keeps snapping it?!?) Seems to get all the stations the more senior members of the syndicate enjoy.

Has anyone tried a DAB head unit? I stuck one in the car years ago and it required an additional DAB aerial that stuck down the side of the windscreen.

We have given up with AM/FM/LW/DAB both at home and on the boat. We now just stream all programs direct to a Bluetooth Speaker. If we want better quality than Bluetooth gives we have a Chromecast attached to the TV soundbar and stream using that.

I still have a Pioneer car radio/6cd changer in the boat that has almost never been used since we bought the boat.

Edited by Loddon

Battery radios are / can be a pain - thus I fitted a car radio instead. The Management then demanded to listen to The Archers (I'm so worried about Jim...) from the front deck whilst we cruised in the summer evenings - Soo - I put a second one in the forward cabin- loud enough to hear while workning the locks ... (sorry).

Both 'do' VHF and DAB bands. Two sets of stereo speakers means that you can be defeaned from anywhere i the boat.

Works out cheaper than a good quality w.h.y. or Roberts radio and more powerful to boot...