Humber Barge Capabilities

Dave6669

Featured Posts

Just buying a 1945 humber barge.

My question is should I assume that this barge is capable of going down the Humber estuary to the north sea and would a it be able (I'm guessing weather conditions permitting) cross the channel?

My old tub is 80ft X 15ft 

I've alot of work to do yet but would rather know if I need to make any prep for this in my referb if it's at all possible

Thanks in advance for any help and advice

Edited by Dave6669
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Dave6669 said:

My question is should I assume that this barge is capable of going down the Humber estuary to the north sea and would a it be able (I'm guessing weather conditions permitting) cross the channel?

I've alot of work to do yet but would rather know if I need to make any prep for this in my referb if it's at all possible

You need to give more info before anyone can give a meaningfulresponse. Type of “Humber Barge, rough condition, etc etc etc.

Howard

3 minutes ago, Dave6669 said:

Do you have any sea going / tidal waters experience ?

The Channel is the busiest waterway in the world and not somewhere the inexperienced should be boating.

The most sea-worthy boat is a going to sink if you drive into a traffic lane with HUGE tankers and container ships going past at (up to) 6x the speed you can go, It'd be like you riding your moped the wrong way up the M1.

6 minutes ago, Dave6669 said:

Humber keels were predominately made for inshore, river, and canal operations. Not crossing the sea.

5 minutes ago, howardang said:

You need to give more info before anyone can give a meaningfulresponse. Type of “Humber Barge, rough condition, etc etc etc.

Howard

Sorry I don't know much more at the moment

This is my first boat of any sort so learning as I Go but as I asked what if any would I need to know about making it possible

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you have any sea going / tidal waters experience ?

The Channel is the busiest waterway in the world and not somewhere the inexperienced should be boating.

The most sea-worthy boat is a going to sink if you drive into a traffic lane with HUGE tankers and container ships going past at (up to) 6x the speed you can go, It'd be like you riding your moped the wrong way up the M1.

I'm not suggesting I would do this myself I would seek out someone experienced to do this for me

I'm wanting to know if it's possible with my barge.

Looking at my retirement and hoping to get further afield is all

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Humber keels were predominately made for inshore, river, and canal operations. Not crossing the sea.

I understand that but I'm asking if it's possible.

I'd like to explore France and if possible future afield.

Sorry if this is a mute question

4 minutes ago, Dave6669 said:

Sorry I don't know much more at the moment

This is my first boat of any sort so learning as I Go but as I asked what if any would I need to know about making it possible

I'm not suggesting I would do this myself I would seek out someone experienced to do this for me

I'm wanting to know if it's possible with my barge.

Looking at my retirement and hoping to get further afield is all

If crossing the channel is your aim there are far more boats suited to the task. You do see Humber and Sheffield keels on the continent so they do get there but they are not common.

Just now, blackrose said:

Yes, just take it down the humber estuary and into the north sea without knowing anything about the boat or it's condition and without any boating experience. You'll be fine. That's what the RNLI is there for. 😋

Hang on Mate

I'm New and I'm asking a question

No need need to be a sarcastic male member

We all have to start somewhere.

Hope you Spring a leak you helpful person

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If crossing the channel is your aim there are far more boats suited to the task. You do see Humber and Sheffield keels on the continent so they do get there but they are not common.

Just wanted to know if it could be a possibility as like you I've seen them over there.

Just wondered how it was possible

2 minutes ago, Dave6669 said:

I understand that but I'm asking if it's possible.

I'd like to explore France and if possible future afield.

Sorry if this is a mute question

Anything of course is possible (just about!) But a far better bet would be to buy a boat actually properly capable of crossing the channel/north sea or able to be transported or even better buy a boat in France and cut out the middle man.

If you are really interested in continental boating the Dutch Barge Association is a useful join.

21 minutes ago, Dave6669 said:

It would be best to assume it is not capable of anything util proven.

image.png.b0fd97286ddbcefd5d3a51fa08f5d580.png

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

All I will say is that those I have seen seem to have exceptionally bluff bows compared with Dutchmen and Thames barges, so I would not like to try them with much of a sea running.

Thanks for your input

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It would be best to assume it is not capable of anything util proven.

image.png.b0fd97286ddbcefd5d3a51fa08f5d580.png

This is true

Just wanted to know if it was something that was possible

Thanks

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes, just take it down the humber estuary and into the north sea without knowing anything about the boat or it's condition and without any boating experience. You'll be fine. That's what the RNLI is there for. 😋

People like you put newbies off using forums like this.

This is my first boat and first post on here

I know your sort

Nothing better to do... Get a life you keyboard worrier

If you have nothing better to do... Take your face for a rape

11 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

The best person to ask is your surveyor.

Thanks for the advice

• Angry 1

17 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Anything of course is possible (just about!) But a far better bet would be to buy a boat actually properly capable of crossing the channel/north sea or able to be transported or even better buy a boat in France and cut out the middle man.

If you are really interested in continental boating the Dutch Barge Association is a useful join.

Thanks for the positive input

There are a number of British Humber and Sheffield style barges on the continent and all got there by sea. A well found barge and competent crew taking account of the weather etc can do it. One I know of was taken to France for a number of years and is now back in England as the owners work changed.(not this one)

6415B363-9607-4FDA-84E2-6D659C1B7091.jpeg

• Greenie 2

Having been up and down the Humber Estuary / Humber a number of times, up and down the North Sea and the Channel I'd be very reluctant to to take a Humber Keel out to Sea.

It is not really sea-worthy and the East Coast is possibly the worse area in the UK for 'harbours of refuge', if the sea 'picks up' (and it does quite quickly as it is so shallow) you would be in serious trouble very quickly.

You would need to be assured of very settled conditions for a number of days and have an experienced, qualified crew.

I not sure you apprecaite the size and number of the boats that go in & out of the Humber - there are 'traffic lanes' to try and keep order.

These boats are huge and as can be seen in one picture they are coming in in a continuous column riding in or out on the tide.

IMG_20160723_045138.jpg

IMG_20160723_052113.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

There are a number of British Humber and Sheffield style barges on the continent and all got there by sea. A well found barge and competent crew taking account of the weather etc can do it. One I know of was taken to France for a number of years and is now back in England as the owners work changed.(not this one)

6415B363-9607-4FDA-84E2-6D659C1B7091.jpeg

Good to know it's possible

Thanks for your input

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

Yes its possible.

Now the questions really need to start.

Like how do i make the possible safe and achievable.

Then there is the bureaucracy registering and becoming qualified.

Good luck, and enjoy the likely bumpy journey!

Wouldn't date attempt it myself. I'm not that draft but if it's doable then someone can do it that has the experience

Thanks

I was brought up in Hull and as a lad used to watch these barges ploughing along the Humber fully loaded with about a foot of freeboard.With their blunt bow I guess their fuel consumption was pretty horrendous.

The Humber estuary can be quite scary when it's in a bad mood,but these barges could still be seen working except in gale force winds.

My guess is they will go anywhere providing the weather is suitable and the skipper keeps an eye (ear) on the shipping forecast.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Having been up and down the Humber Estuary / Humber a number of times, up and down the North Sea and the Channel I'd be very reluctant to to take a Humber Keel out to Sea.

It is not really sea-worthy and the East Coast is possibly the worse area in the UK for 'harbours of refuge', if the sea 'picks up' (and it does quite quickly as it is so shallow) you would be in serious trouble very quickly.

You would need to be assured of very settled conditions for a number of days and have an experienced, qualified crew.

I not sure you apprecaite the size and number of the boats that go in & out of the Humber - there are 'traffic lanes' to try and keep order.

These boats are huge and as can be seen in one picture they are coming in in a continuous column riding in or out on the tide.

IMG_20160723_045138.jpg

IMG_20160723_052113.jpg

I would get it as far south inland as possible and hand it over to someone experienced

I appreciate the sea is dangerous place for those who don't know what they are doing

I'm a bit wiser than to attempt it myself

Thanks for your input

3 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I was brought up in Hull and as a lad used to watch these barges ploughing along the Humber fully loaded with about a foot of freeboard.With their blunt bow I guess their fuel consumption was pretty horrendous.

The Humber estuary can be quite scary when it's in a bad mood,but these barges could still be seen working except in gale force winds.

My guess is they will go anywhere providing the weather is suitable and the skipper keeps an eye (ear) on the shipping forecast.

Cheers

That was my thoughts as I drive past the Humber and through Hull twice a week and I've seen it like a mill pond and Aldo like you should have a surf board out

Cheers