wide beam boat stuff weight

rutxi

Featured Posts

Hi!

I bought a wide beam boat 50ft x 12ft I know its weight is 24.500 tones whit both tanks full but I don't know how many kilos I can put on it in furnitures and all suff.

Any knows how to measure it?

Thank you! 

Archimedes is the man who can help.

Work out the surface area of your floor (50ft x 12ft but a little bit less for the boaty shape).

Water weighs 1000kg per cubic metre or 28kg per cubic foot.

So as an example:

1 inch is 1/12 of a foot so to "sink" the boat by an inch the water displaced will be 50 x 12 / 12 = 50 cubic feet = 1400kg

so 1400kg will cause the boat to sit 1 inch lower in the water.

..............Dave

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Love that composite unit, 28kg per cubic foot. Or 219.97 UK gallons in a cubic metre.

Boats and canals are imperial entities trapped in a metric universe. 😀

I live in a 21.34 metre'er

.................Dave

• Haha 1

Somewhere in your documentation (assuming you have some) or on a plate somewhere in the boat the builder should have listed the official figures for maximum number of people and weight of belongings.

The posts about give some pragmatic approaches to working this out.

Solid-Brass-Commissioning-Plate-Nameplate-RCD-CE.jpg.914ea468d72915d792c78044f6563ac2.jpg

2 hours ago, rutxi said:

Hi!

I bought a wide beam boat 50ft x 12ft I know its weight is 24.500 tones whit both tanks full but I don't know how many kilos I can put on it in furnitures and all suff.

Any knows how to measure it?

Thank you! 

Why do you need to know that exactly?

A boat of those dimensions may already have 5 or 6 tonnes of ballast in the bilges (my 57' x 12' boat has about 8 tonnes of ballast). Whatever furniture and personal stuff you  put in a widebeam isn't really going to make that much difference. 

Edited by blackrose

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

"A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter"

"A litre of water's a pint and three quarters."

From the Metrication Board I believe, along with:

"Two and a quarter pounds of jam, weigh about a kilogramme." 

and

"A metre measures three foot three. It's longer than a yard, you see."

Edited by David Mack

An L&LC short boat, 60ft by 14ft, could carry 50 tons. If you take a person as 2cwt, a very conservative average estimate, you could have 500 people on board before it was fully loaded. I don't think you will find a few pieces of furniture a problem, unless they are solid cast iron. You will need to balance them such that the boat does not heel over to one side, which is probably the main problem you will encounter.

51 minutes ago, Pluto said:

An L&LC short boat, 60ft by 14ft, could carry 50 tons. If you take a person as 2cwt, a very conservative average estimate, you could have 500 people on board before it was fully loaded. I don't think you will find a few pieces of furniture a problem, unless they are solid cast iron. You will need to balance them such that the boat does not heel over to one side, which is probably the main problem you will encounter.

For just how many people it is possible to fit in a roughly 60' x 14' cargo boat see these photos of the Rechabites trip on the Rochdale canal. There is still plenty of freeboard. Very pre-'ealth'n'safety!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

In general it will be much less of a problem on a wider boat. A solid granite kitchen worktop installed on one side of a 12ft widebeam might cause it to list by a couple of inches.  

Thanks guys for all your answers, some of them quite funny 😂

the plate it says 1200 kilos between people and luggage but nothing about furnitures but a roughly calculation I did gave me around 3500 kilos.  So I guess is not a problem. 

but I like you calculation @dmr I'll take that one 🤪

2 minutes ago, rutxi said:

Just thinking that 1200k is not that much for furniture plus people plus people stuff 🤔

My 23 foot wide 'widebeam' has a 3011Kg weight capacity and between 8 and 14 people depending on 'type' of waters (Cat A is open Ocean, Type B is 'Sea going', Type C is coastal and Estuaries, Type D is Inland waterways)

The modern  RCD categories are very different to the 'no-limits loading' that applied to barges 100 or 200 years ago.

CAM00263.jpg