Flat-plate heat exchanger installation.

canute

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

So where did you get the connectors you needed?

We're looking at doing this on Mintball this winter.

I used short 3/4” female BSP to 22mm compression adapters (brass), however the female threads do not extend right up to flat seat! I was intending to bridge this with, one or two thick fibre washers, after being dissatisfied with the size of washers I could find (not wide or thick enough), I plumped for stacking three copper washers coated in a film of Loctite pipe thread sealant.

The I.D of standard 3/4” tap connectors is not the same I.D as the exchangers ports, fibre washers are to small and will crush if stacked, further; cutting back of the copper will weaken the clamping force exerted by the nut.

I did consider PTFE but these are parallel threads possibly subject to vibration so not a particularly good idea.

I also contacted Nordic Tech and suggested that they may make additional sales if they offered compatible irons for their exchangers.

If I’d know somebody who had a laith I would have had the internal corners bored out on the standard irons and used a single washer.

It’s unfortunate that someone doesn’t produce a 3/4” flat seat union like in some boilers, well I couldn’t find one.

Just now, canute said:

I used short 3/4” female BSP to 22mm compression adapters (brass), however the female threads do not extend right up to flat seat! I was intending to bridge this with, one or two thick fibre washers, after being dissatisfied with the size of washers I could find (not wide or thick enough), I plumped for stacking three copper washers coated in a film of Loctite pipe thread sealant.

The I.D of standard 3/4” tap connectors is not the same I.D as the exchangers ports, fibre washers are to small and will crush if stacked, further; cutting back of the copper will weaken the clamping force exerted by the nut.

I did consider PTFE but these are parallel threads possibly subject to vibration so not a particularly good idea.

I also contacted Nordic Tech and suggested that they may make additional sales if they offered compatible irons for their exchangers.

If I’d know somebody who had a laith I would have had the internal corners bored out on the standard irons and used a single washer.

It’s unfortunate that someone doesn’t produce a 3/4” flat seat union like in some boilers, well I couldn’t find one.

OK thanks for that - I assume that the same would apply to any heat exchanger with 3/4 connectors

• 1 month later...

Well I have finally completed phase 1 of the heat exchanger install, that being to mount the exchanger and plumb the calorifier loop though it. Tomorrow I will tackle plumbing my radiator circuit through the other side of the exchanger but I have a question: Should I be making the flow go in the opposite direction to the flow of the calorifier loop or does it not matter? 

23 minutes ago, Motters79 said:

Well I have finally completed phase 1 of the heat exchanger install, that being to mount the exchanger and plumb the calorifier loop though it. Tomorrow I will tackle plumbing my radiator circuit through the other side of the exchanger but I have a question: Should I be making the flow go in the opposite direction to the flow of the calorifier loop or does it not matter? 

Good question, and one which I pondered myself. I decided that in order to try to maximise the outlet temperature (ie keep it as close to the engine temperature as possible) the flows should be reversed, so that the already-warmed radiator water finally meets the hottest bit of the calorifier loop just before it exits the exchanger.

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Good question, and one which I pondered myself. I decided that in order to try to maximise the outlet temperature (ie keep it as close to the engine temperature as possible) the flows should be reversed, so that the already-warmed radiator water finally meets the hottest bit of the calorifier loop just before it exits the exchanger.

That would be my approach  as well.

Exchanger flow directions are usually marked on the unit, correct direction of flows is critical to the performance as turbulence from the flow is designed to keep the flow channels clear of debris and any suspended matter in the coolants, reversed connections will impede the flow velocity’s and reduced the self cleaning effect.