Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Juliansum said:

Thanks for this . Most of the comments say walk away and maybe there right .

im expecting 6k for plating and any other steel work.  Other works will mainly be done by myself but obviously there will be the material costs to take into account. 
I think unless I get an offer of an extremely low price I will walk . Save some more cash and look again in spring 

With a boat, whatever costs you forecast, double them.

When it comes to major steel work, the number of times it starts as a 'small' repair and they find that the adjacent steel is so thin it cannot be welded to, so more is cut out, then the nexy section is too thin, ad infinitum until the £6k job becomes £8k and then £10k and at the end of it all you have a boat that is worth considerably less than you have spent on it.

Keeping and maintaining a boat is expensive enough at the best of times (estimates hover around the £5k per annum mark) don't start your boating with a millstone around your neck even before you have got in the water.

You Know It makes Sense.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The advisory for hull-fittings (vents, drain pipes etc) is actually 10" (250mm) it is only the weed hatch that is allowed to be 6" (150mm) as it has a sealed lid.

Again, from the BSS :

To reduce the risk of your boat sinking if it keels over or is excessively weighed down, it's a good idea for privately owned boats to only have openings which are at a height of at least 250mm (10ins) above the waterline. Where openings are necessary below this level this risk can be reduced by ensuring that these openings are permanently and securely connected to ducts or pipes, which are watertight up to that level.

Self-draining cockpits may not be able to meet the 250mm (10ins) recommendation but, for privately owned boats, it's a good idea to stop water getting into other parts of the hull by incorporating non-return valves in the drains and/or having bulkheads or cills up to a height of 150mm (6ins).

when I did my RCD in 2008 the requirement for "downflooding" was 250mm when the boat was listing (tilted to one side) with the maximum allowable number of persons on board (which should be stated on the builder's plate) standing on the gunwale while hanging onto the roof rail.  On my widebeam with 12 persons on board the engine vents were just within specification.

• Greenie 1

On my last canal trip met a couple at 'Slawit' who had just bought a really good looking 57 footer.Built by a builder I have not heard of but the owner said it was the forerunner of Liverpool boats which became Collingwood.

Although built in the nineties it wasn't launched untill 2020,as the first owner (a joiner,and highly skilled from the look of the beautiful interior) it cost the present owner £52k plus another £5k for painting and blacking.

It was fully equipped for living aboard and had a lovely quiet engine.If I had that sort of money,that is the sort of boat I would like.

There is a rather amusing story here.

The couple have a little dog (don't know the breed)but looks like a black and white King Charles.

Talking with the couple,they told me they were thinking of selling the boat because the dog was terrified of it and would jump off into the canal as soon as they cast off.

When the boat cast off for Marsden,the wife was walking the dog along the towpath to Marsden and when I asked their eventual destination I was told Worcester!!

A long walk for a little dog!

39 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

when I did my RCD in 2008 the requirement for "downflooding" was 250mm when the boat was listing (tilted to one side) with the maximum allowable number of persons on board (which should be stated on the builder's plate) standing on the gunwale while hanging onto the roof rail.  On my widebeam with 12 persons on board the engine vents were just within specification.

That is (one of the reasons) why an RCD built boat should have no problem with meeting the BSS recommendations. The problem comes in where NB / WB builders or DIY fit-outs have self-certified having never even read the requirements.

To the OP.If possible it may be better to avoid all the trouble with an old rust bucket to see your friendly bank manager about a personal loan.Borrowing money is quite easy,the pain comes paying it back! but probably less stressful than having one expensive problem after another.

I think with a budget of about £50k,you can expect to find a good trouble free boat.

18 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

My forty footer needed replating, bottom and sides to above the waterline. Cost nine grand three years ago.

Blimey things have got more expensive. I paid £2,000 to have 2/3rds of a 45ft Springer (bottom and about a foot up the sides) overplated 23 years ago. Only 4mm gauge and yours was probably done in 6mm, but still it just shows how much more expensive it's all become.

Edited by blackrose