Ailsa Craig gearbox

glynnbarry123

Featured Posts

More thoughts. Its hard to get any idea of the size from your image, but have a  search for Watermota or Wortham-Blake gearbox parts. They may have used a multi-plate ahead clutch and if you are very lucky they will be bronze and perhaps near enough dimension wise to fettle to fit. Try Sheridan Marine at Moulsford and Chertsey Meads marine for a start. I suspect it will have to be second hand parts. There were a fair number of gearboxes with mluti-plate ahead clutches made pre about 1960 but finding parts is the problem, as you have found.

I think it is an actual Ailsa Craig gearbox.  I would guess that new plates will be the answer and I don't know where you might find them off anybody's shelf.  its probably not a huge engineering challenge to get some made but how you dismantle the box is something else. I made new bushes for the planetary gears on one of them and how on earth you got to the clutches was a mystery.

11 minutes ago, Bee said:

I think it is an actual Ailsa Craig gearbox.  I would guess that new plates will be the answer and I don't know where you might find them off anybody's shelf.  its probably not a huge engineering challenge to get some made but how you dismantle the box is something else. I made new bushes for the planetary gears on one of them and how on earth you got to the clutches was a mystery.

I am sure it's an Alsa box and the OP seems to have got the plates out because he knows they are burned out. I was trying to think of a more common box where the plates might be persuaded to do the job. Don't know if @RLWP has the wherewithal to make new plates. I think they could be time-consuming because of accurately cutting the splines.

If you can accurately draw the plates in CAD, to a .dwg or .dxf file it should be practicable  to get them laser or water jet cut.  Try Model Engineers Laser.  They have done jobs for me and I found them helpful and quick to respond.

Do you know what the plate material is?

N

29 minutes ago, BEngo said:

If you can accurately draw the plates in CAD, to a .dwg or .dxf file it should be practicable  to get them laser or water jet cut.  Try Model Engineers Laser.  They have done jobs for me and I found them helpful and quick to respond.

Do you know what the plate material is?

N

Good to know, files in the back of my  brain for future use. Thanks

I dare say that these days it would even  be possible to have them 3D printed.  You would need to draw a 3D CAD model for that as well as find a suitable printer and feedstock.

N

Try contacting Jonathon Hewitt (Jonno) at Union Canal Carriers in Braunston. He regularly rebuilds Ailsa Craig engines and may have spares, or know where you can get them.

Edited by David Schweizer

Thanks

On 11/07/2021 at 10:01, Bee said:

I got clutches out thanks for help