Water and Rust: How I Thought We Were Sinking

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Winkwell dock, Middx & Herts boatyard, by winkwell swing bridge. That's just north of Hemel which is where you said you were.

Allegedly they no longer have anyone that does welding as Big Kev wont do it anymore.

UPDATE: 

I'm back aboard today after my 2nd covid jab yesterday 💉🎉

Only a few mm of water present after 24h and the concrete is drying nicely. I'll keep vacuuming the standing water, and I'll get the stove on later. Still need to drain the water tank. 

Edited by spicemouse

On 11/07/2021 at 21:31, Loddon said:

Allegedly they no longer have anyone that does welding as Big Kev wont do it anymore.

It's a boat yard that mainly services steel boats. How can they be in business without a welder? Anyway presumably the OP could bring his own welder in, he just needs a dry dock.

58 minutes ago, J R ALSOP said:

Herts & Middlesex has just been sold.

Any idea what it went for ?

Last time it was offered up it was 1mil but that was a while ago.

Could be some good development land there :(

Update 2:

I've spent the last few days drying out the area, and it doesn't seem like any water is coming through. 

PXL_20210715_103251187.jpg.b89267585b0f84348744270d46094870.jpg

Still a little moist, but certainly no standing water now. I suspect the water was coming from the drying iron and concrete (and originally from the overflowing water tank). 

Does this rust still worry you lot? It worries me! 

3 minutes ago, spicemouse said:

Does this rust still worry you lot? It worries me! 

In an ideal world you wouldn't have rust like that. But I suspect there's an awful lot of converted older boats with that much rust unseen behind the fitout.  Most of them don't sink!

Just now, David Mack said:

In an ideal world you wouldn't have rust like that. But I suspect there's an awful lot of converted older boats with that much rust unseen behind the fitout.  Most of them don't sink!

I worry mostly that it extends down below the level of the ballast 

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

I would be concerned, but as tempting as it may seem to have a go at removing the rust, don't start chipping away while the boat is in the water.  I speak from experience.

Oh goodness no, I want someone who knows what they are doing to fix that! 

Is this rust were there is some doubling? If so it’s not a problem. We brought the NB Crane from Willow wren and when we started to paint the inside of the hold found real heavy scale. Certainly wasn’t going to start chipping at that but the realised it had been overplated all of the footings. It was a proper job done years before at Bentford and some other joshers were done at the same time. Must say it wasn’t something we looked for when buying but we could see the hole in the counter and state of the cabin.

5 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I would be concerned, but as tempting as it may seem to have a go at removing the rust, don't start chipping away while the boat is in the water.  I speak from experience.

I was thinking of your experience when I wrote "most of them don't sink"! 😱

The area in question has a knee and rivets through overlapping plates, a build up of scale (rust trapped between) can force them apart and eventually the rivets will fail. 

It could be this is happening, and a leak like this will often self heal as rust builds up - it would still be worth having an experienced person to look at it at some point. South island marine may be your best bet in the London area. 

The area in question has a knee and rivets through overlapping plates, a build up of scale (rust trapped between) can force them apart and eventually the rivets will fail. 

It could be this is happening, and a leak like this will often self heal as rust builds up - it would still be worth having an experienced person to look at it at some point. South island marine may be your best bet in the London area. 

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE 3:

I'm trying to get the area looked at professionally and hopefully it'll not be as bad as anticipated. The rust appears to be due to overflow from the water tank, rather than any ingress. I'll be having the tank looked at too. 

In the meantime I'm planning on blocking up the hole from the cabin to the water tank. This should avoid any repeat of the Great Flood. My plan is to place a sheet of acrylic over the hole and seal it with CT1. This will allow me to see if the water gets above the hole when I fill the tank. 

The hole I'm planning on covering is the one circled in red below:

317888310_PXL_20210710_134856467.NIGHT2_compress77.jpg.83bce4bef73f4a0a20bd46aaee978346.jpg

My questions now: 1) is this a good idea? 2) should there be a breather installed? 

Thanks!