Battery powered CCTV security system?

Jonkx

Featured Posts

Hi, does anyone know of a battery powered CCTV security system that you can use on a canal boat, i.e. one that requires no external power source and allows you view images remotely, by Internet or phone, while away from the boat, say for 2 weeks?

We have Blink cameras at home.  The cameras are internal battery powered but the sync module is USB powered, and then you need a router to provide internet to the sync module.  System works very well.

There are generic names cameras that are available that take a SIM card and are completely self contained, which if you just want one camera on a boat might work well.

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Less moaning about the BBC and more tidying your electrics please :D 

Yes I know!.... its coming.... a bit more painting first along top of boat sides, but the prep for the electrics is coming on. Sorting the buffalo board to mount everything on currently.

As an aside anything I do about the BBC tends to be the most watched vlogs - odd isn't it!?

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

As regulars know I like to inflict these on you!!

Hi Rob, thanks, that's brilliant and looks like just the kind of system I'd want. Any thoughts on how you'd powere the control unit and WiFi  if you didn't have shore power?

Just now, Jonkx said:

Hi Rob, thanks, that's brilliant and looks like just the kind of system I'd want. Any thoughts on how you'd powere the control unit and WiFi  if you didn't have shore power?

They both just need 12v. The control unit for the Blink system plugs into USB, so that should be quite straight forward, maybe a convertor like you'd get for a car?

WiFi depends on what you use, it might be the same or if you have a bigger router you might need an alternative 12v connector?

1 hour ago, Jonkx said:

Might be sensible to have the battery/batteries kept charged by a solar panel.

• Greenie 1

I have used Eufy battery powered cameras. Good stuff, and Anker who make Eufy gear are well established. You'd need an internet connection onboard to view from afar, obvs, but the good thing about Eufy is you don't need to pay for an online storage subscription.

We use Eufycam on our house.  Battery charge suppose to last a year, cant say thats true or not yet but still showing near full charge after 2 months.

I've got one of these units. smarty £10 a month SIM in it. App on phone. It's excellent just needs 12v supply and cell signal.

s-l400.jpg

Programmable via app to send notification to phone of any movement (phone vibrates) in a user defined area. This sensing won't work through windows so the unit has to be exterior of you want this feature. IP67 if I remember right so no problems. Its nice and quiet looking and low profile which I like. Also has on board recording to SD card. 

A feature I did not expect but which is handy is that it makes its own hotspot so you can use this as an in internet connection for other things. That's quite handy as it gives extra data and a second network plus if it is mounted outside high up better chance of good signal. 

Pretty good image quality as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313471752716

£160 although that price does change a bit sometimes. There is also a cheaper one available around £85 but I don't think the camera is any good on it and some listings put 4G in the description when what you get will be a WiFi non-sim type. 

This is mine right now. I am actually beside the boat but could view this imagery anywhere my phone works, obviously. 

Screenshot_2021-07-09-13-04-19-565_com.hichip.jpg.a34dd22e8e8a4af8361859e2c1c6a0d9.jpg

There arrr no ongoing Screenshot_2021-07-09-13-04-19-565_com.hichip.jpg.a34dd22e8e8a4af8361859e2c1c6a0d9.jpgcosts other than the sim data plan. The app is free. 

Another one with more features is the Reolink with remote pan and tilt but I would be nervous about one of these being a theft risk unless you can mount it in an inaccessible position, because it is so obvious and valuable. 

Reolink: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reolink-3G-4G-LTE-Pan-Tilt-Battery-Security-Camera-Outdoor-1080P-HD-Go-PT-Solar-/264842208626?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

All the above assuming you don't have a network already running all the time on the boat. If you did then WiFi cameras seem better and a lot cheaper. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

I read a cruising club newsletter not long back.

It bore an interesting account of a member who had gone the route of fitting an internet linked remote camera.  I don't remember the full details, however it transpired that they missed a signal that scrotes were on board.  

The first thing they knew their boat was on fire.

When they accessed the recording later from their internet account they discovered a trio wearing ski masks had broken in and within seconds had spotted the camera by following cables.  Listening to their chatter they were well versed in looking for electronics/valuables etc. by following what had been hard wired in.

Upon discovering the camera, they jumped to the conclusion it was recording to a hard drive somewhere on the boat possibly by wi-fi or bluetooth. They decided the safest thing was to destroy all evidence, hence they burned the boat.

So sometimes you can be too clever especially if your intruders aren't.

Three outcomes were, everything saved to their account only showed masked faces, and nobody was identified.  Even if they hadn't missed the signal about intruders, it was only a minute before they discussed their way out and acted on it. The owners had little chance of stopping anything or notifying anyone remotely.

The other was. as it clearly recorded their panic when they realised they were being recorded, and especially their decision to destroy the hidden hard drive by burning it.  This was evidence shared with the Police, Media and Insurance Company.

So the craft was unnecessarily destroyed.  To impound the problem their insurance company went down the route of "Owner Imposed" damage.  They claimed the intruders felt cornered into destroying, which wouldn't have been necessary if they had put a warning notice on the door warning and explaining the situation.  They wanted to reduce the value of the claim by a hefty % accordingly.  At the time of reading the newsletter it was still rambling on and involved solicitors etc.

Be careful of what you do which may trip you up with your own insurance cover,  they look for any reason to squirm.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, zenataomm said:

They claimed the intruders felt cornered into destroying, which wouldn't have been necessary if they had put a warning notice on the door warning and explaining the situation.  They wanted to reduce the value of the claim by a hefty % accordingly.

That's shocking. It makes me wonder who are the bigger crooks....the scrotes or the insurance company.

Next they'll be refusing payout because a CEN certified high security padlock is on the rear hatch thereby making criminals think you have valuables inside. 

There's also a Reolink CCTV that comes with an internal battery, solar panel and SIM card for data. They're on Amazon. I use one on my boat and I can remote into it and PTZ to look around. It's great.

Edit: ah, here's my original post about it: 

Edited by ronnietucker

20 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I read a cruising club newsletter not long back.

It bore an interesting account of a member who had gone the route of fitting an internet linked remote camera.  I don't remember the full details, however it transpired that they missed a signal that scrotes were on board.  

The first thing they knew their boat was on fire.

When they accessed the recording later from their internet account they discovered a trio wearing ski masks had broken in and within seconds had spotted the camera by following cables.  Listening to their chatter they were well versed in looking for electronics/valuables etc. by following what had been hard wired in.

Upon discovering the camera, they jumped to the conclusion it was recording to a hard drive somewhere on the boat possibly by wi-fi or bluetooth. They decided the safest thing was to destroy all evidence, hence they burned the boat.

So sometimes you can be too clever especially if your intruders aren't.

Three outcomes were, everything saved to their account only showed masked faces, and nobody was identified.  Even if they hadn't missed the signal about intruders, it was only a minute before they discussed their way out and acted on it. The owners had little chance of stopping anything or notifying anyone remotely.

The other was. as it clearly recorded their panic when they realised they were being recorded, and especially their decision to destroy the hidden hard drive by burning it.  This was evidence shared with the Police, Media and Insurance Company.

So the craft was unnecessarily destroyed.  To impound the problem their insurance company went down the route of "Owner Imposed" damage.  They claimed the intruders felt cornered into destroying, which wouldn't have been necessary if they had put a warning notice on the door warning and explaining the situation.  They wanted to reduce the value of the claim by a hefty % accordingly.  At the time of reading the newsletter it was still rambling on and involved solicitors etc.

Be careful of what you do which may trip you up with your own insurance cover,  they look for any reason to squirm.

Thats not good... maybe the way to do this is to wire up a switch that switches the earth and live of the shorepower - that'll catch 'em out (joking by the way!)

26 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Thats not good... maybe the way to do this is to wire up a switch that switches the earth and live of the shorepower - that'll catch 'em out (joking by the way!)

Dusty had a big notice saying this boat is booby-trapped or words to that effect. As a teenager a local scrote broke into an engineering workshop within a mile of where he lived via a window he forced, climbing in he started a machine that ate him. The company that owned the workshop were prosecuted under the H&S at work act for not having the machine fully guarded even though it was within a locked building

The story goes that if you have a warning 'dangerous dog lives here' sign on your gate / house then you are automatically admitting liability should anyone break in and get bitten.

The dangerous dogs act.

What if my dog is protecting me from an intruder?

The law does provides a defence if your dog attacks an intruder in your own home.

However, rather confusingly, if your dog attacks an intruder in your garden this is an offence which could land you in court.