No more nails on painted surfaces?

Featured Posts

I’m currently restoring our roof which had a parapet fixed to the metal (coated) capping with a lot of liquid nail blobs.  I’ve noticed a lot of occasion where there is significant rusting under the fixing once I chipped it off.  Exclusively the rusting is associated with the adhesive.  I cant see anything in the product blurb cautioning its use on painted surfaces so wondering if anybody has similar experience and its use on boats.  I’m guessing there might be an element of moisture under the adhesive on application but its still concerning that it ‘eat’ through the paint.

Liquid Nails is solvent based. As such it will destroy the paint structure and lift it off the substrate enabling air and moisture to attack the steel.

Using such adhesives on painted surfaces is a poor idea as the bond will only be as strong as the paint film's bond to the substrate anyway.

• Greenie 2

No more nails is far too brittle as an adhesive on boats anyway. You need a flexible adhesive. I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do but Marineflex or Stixall PU adhesive/sealants do most jobs as long as you don't need lots of instant grab and can let the adhesive cure for 24 hours.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

No more nails is far too brittle as an adhesive on boats anyway. You need a flexible adhesive. I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do but Marineflex or Stixall PU adhesive/sealants do most jobs as long as you don't need lots of instant grab and can let the adhesive cure for 24 hours.

Thanks,

I'm not doing anything yet, but would have probably naturally reached for NMN without thinking about it.  I now know better. 

22 hours ago, JJPHG said:

Thanks,

I'm not doing anything yet, but would have probably naturally reached for NMN without thinking about it.  I now know better. 

If it is outside structure then it will be subjected to a fair bit of thermal movement. OK if both the parapet and the roof are steel, but otherwise the fastening must be flexible enough to cope with the differing thermal expansion coefficients. 

2 hours ago, DandV said:

If it is outside structure then it will be subjected to a fair bit of thermal movement. OK if both the parapet and the roof are steel, but otherwise the fastening must be flexible enough to cope with the differing thermal expansion coefficients. 

Yep - I’m guessing thats why it failed earlier this year.  Trouble is when you buy a house you cant really pull stuff off to find out how its fixed.

Sorry if this isn’t relevant to this topic entirely, but I am just about to fill my painted metal doors including hatch with ply, glued with something like pink grip (other brands are available). Then I was going to dress the door with some hardwood overlaid on the ply. My doors and hatch have a 30mm recess. Should I be removing the paint prior to gluing,

or is there an alternative method? 

thank you in advance 

If the paint is well and truly bonded to the substrate you really can do no more. If you remove the paint you risk rusting which will force the ply off anyway.

I screw door panels with stainless countersunk screws from the outside after I have painted the decoration on the panels and varnished them all over.

Hi Tracy, thanks for replying, that’s what I thought tbh and I can only hope the bonding is as intended by the paint manufacturer.! 

do you mean you screw from the outside of the boat through the door? Thus, leaving the screws exposed? Or you paint over them? 

kind regards 

4 minutes ago, Robert.80 said:

Hi Tracy, thanks for replying, that’s what I thought tbh and I can only hope the bonding is as intended by the paint manufacturer.! 

do you mean you screw from the outside of the boat through the door? Thus, leaving the screws exposed? Or you paint over them? 

kind regards 

Countersunk screws, ground flat, painted over. Then its easy to take the panel off to refinish the castles, roses and varnish.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Countersunk screws, ground flat, painted over. Then its easy to take the panel off to refinish the castles, roses and varnish.

Good idea, hadn’t thought of that to be honest, thanks for the idea 👍🏼

56 minutes ago, Robert.80 said:

Sorry if this isn’t relevant to this topic entirely, but I am just about to fill my painted metal doors including hatch with ply, glued with something like pink grip (other brands are available). 

If you are using adhesives to bond things on boats please see my previous response. Don't use no more nails, pinkgrip, or any other house builders adhesives, they're not flexible enough for boats.

10 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If you are using adhesives to bond things on boats please see my previous response. Don't use no more nails, pinkgrip, or any other house builders adhesives, they're not flexible enough for boats.

Hi, I know I said pink grip, but I’ll likely be using CT1, pricy, but strung and flexible. 

1 minute ago, Robert.80 said:

Hi, I know I said pink grip, but I’ll likely be using CT1, pricy, but strung and flexible. 

Strong 🙄