Lovely sight

MrsM

Featured Posts

Just watched a gorgeous catamaran yacht come up onto the L&L from the river Aire at Granary Wharf, Leeds. Haven't seen a boat like that on the canals before. Wonder how far it could get? 

I've taken some but am not sure what the protocol is when it comes to sharing images of someone else's boat. That said I've already probably boo-booed by sharing details about it. Any chance someone could remind me of the image shrinking app/site?

26 minutes ago, MrsM said:

I've taken some but am not sure what the protocol is when it comes to sharing images of someone else's boat. That said I've already probably boo-booed by sharing details about it. Any chance someone could remind me of the image shrinking app/site?

I use this one (and they host it also) so its just copy (2nd line down, click the blue box) and place once its downloaded

Postimages — free image hosting / image upload

Screenshot (437)_LI.jpg

There was/is one just like that on hard standing at Selby boatyard just rotting away. In the years that I had a boat at Selby I never saw anyone go anywhere near that boat. I wonder if it's the same one that someone has finally done something with. Unfortunately as I have now moved away from Selby, back to Wales, I cannot check. 

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If he fits through River Lock at Leeds, then presumably all the way to Liverpool.

What about depth?

How much including a keel do they draw?

Would love a catamaran or at least some kind of seagoing vessel that has the same amount of space as a narrowboat for similar money. I don't understand why they're so expensive in comparison especially when most are made out of plastic!

2 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Probably a bit high for Shipley.

And probably a good few other bridges between there and Liverpool surely?

Yes he said that bridges were the problem, as well as being over 14' wide. I think the draught was around 2'6". Fabulous looking craft and they were rightly very proud of it. Were planning to take it to the coast and put a mast back on. 

52 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

What about depth?

How much including a keel do they draw?

They dont really have much of a keel ;

We draw about 3 feet (but we are 23 foot beam and about 10 tonnes)

CAM00338.jpg

29 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Yes he said that bridges were the problem, as well as being over 14' wide.

14 foot, .........14 foot, .............. my cruiser is 14 foot (just goes thru the 'wide locks virtually touching both sides)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They dont really have much of a keel ;

We draw about 2 feet (maybe 2' 6")

14 foot, 14 foot, my cruiser is 14 foot (just goes thru the 'wide locks virtually touching both sides)

CAM00338.jpg

I knew you would know and tried to tag you into the post but the forum wouldnt play ball.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

If anyone is interested in life onboard a catamaran, I recommend subscribing to Youtube channel "Sailing La Vagabonde". It's in effect a documentary of a young Australian family who for the most part sail around the world on an Outremer catamaran. 

I know there's a lot of animosity on here about "vloggers" who make videos on Youtube with very little experience or knowledge but I can confidently say that's not the case here. They make content that is of professional quality and well worth a watch. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZdQjaSoLjIzFnWsDQOv4ww

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Look on Google Earth.

I did and this is all I could get. Image dated 5/7/2020. It's the big white blob in the middle of the pic.Image1.jpg.46df823b8b2d819ad86221df9accbb24.jpg

On 08/07/2021 at 22:02, RichM said:

If anyone is interested in life onboard a catamaran, I recommend subscribing to Youtube channel "Sailing La Vagabonde". It's in effect a documentary of a young Australian family who for the most part sail around the world on an Outremer catamaran. 

Outremer no longer; they've just 'traded it in' for something fast and shiny and with an additional hull 😁

Can also vouch for the quality of their production — they have both style and substance, and are really quite interesting to watch.