Safe mooring in Liverpool city centre?

jetzi

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, jetzi said:

Is mooring possible at the end of the L&L? And is it safe to leave the boat unattended there for a day trip around the city? First prize if there are any spots behind a gate perhaps?

Can't you still book into the Albert dock?

It felt perfectly safe there and very central.

Ooh, does that mean going down the Stanley locks and through all the docks? For some reason I thought that wasn't really possible, but great if so!

Is the Albert dock a CaRT site? Doesn't appear on the bookable moorings on the CaRT website. Although you can book passage on the Liverpool Link and Salthouse docks?

image.png.37f51954a3ecec7e3413f19d05fed9bb.png

I haven't ever been to Liverpool and I am not overly concerned, just wondering if anyone is going to shout out NOOO DON'T MOOR IN LIVERPOOL WHATEVER YOU DO!

2 minutes ago, pearley said:

Otherwise Litherland Visitor Moorings are gated.

Great, we'll definitely stop there, was hoping to actually get into Liverpool city though, if that's reasonable.

The canal ends at Eldonian village it used to be possible to moor there but how safe it is I have no idea. Its also quite a long way from the city centre.

Having gone all the way to the end it would be a shame not to do the last bit through the link to Salthouse dock.

If there are no spaces available on line give the CRT Wigan office a call unless the online system has improved it does not always register cancelations.

You can't use the online booking system if crossing the Mersey but the Wigan office sorted us out, very helpful.

Ken

Yeah, I imagined Eldonian village was the farthest I could hope to go, on Google Maps it looks suburban and safe, but though it looks like a good mooring there aren't any boats moored around there so I'm not sure it's allowed/possible. It looks like about a 10 minute cycle from here to the city, which is central enough for me.

image.png.415f99c3e64dbdec22df2b0107eec175.png

I think unfortunately crossing the Mersey is probably too much of an adventure for me, but if it's possible for non-crossers to enter the docks and maybe even spend a couple of nights there then I'm definitely up for that! I'll see if I can find the Wigan office phone number.

Liverpool link is what you need to book. Think it's under passages rather than moorings. And its brilliant and safe !

Just Google Liverpool link. The skippers guide is on the crt website and tells you all you need to know

Edited by jonathanA

The trip down Stanley Locks and through the docks to Salthouse Dock is really spectacular, one of our best days cruising. Book the Liverpool link and you get a mooring in Salthouse Dock allocated to you. You can stay seven days max.

Wow, that's great, I'm excited now! I wasn't intending to do the L&L but there was a stoppage on the Rochdale 9. Seems like I got more than I bargained for with this detour!

Are there any boating services/amenities at the moorings in Salthouse Dock?

Edit: I should have read the skippers guide before i asked (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/11495-liverpool-canal-link-skippers-guide.pdf)

Water and free electricity available at the pontoons in Salthouse, but no elsan.

Edited by jetzi

20 minutes ago, pearley said:

Empty the Elsan at Litherland in the way down. You can empty at Liverpool Marina, which gives you an excuse to cruise down through the linked docks, but they do charge.

And boy do they know how to charge!! 

3 minutes ago, MHS said:

I think it’s £10 per cassette!

It says 20 on the skippers guide, and 30 for a pump out!

They do also sell diesel though, which I do need, so I might use that as an excuse if I want to go down the linked docks ;)

Edited by jetzi

5 minutes ago, jetzi said:

It says 20 on the skippers guide, and 30 for a pump out!

They do also sell diesel though, which I do need, so I might use that as an excuse if I want to go down the linked docks ;)

You use to be able to get diesel on the way at Burscough Canal Services (NB Ambush & Viktoria)

There are toilets you can use at Albert Dock. I think there may be showers, someone may confirm that. 

There isn’t a water point at each finger jetty. You may need to borrow a hose if yours isn’t long enough. 

1 hour ago, MHS said:

There are toilets you can use at Albert Dock. I think there may be showers, someone may confirm that. 

There isn’t a water point at each finger jetty. You may need to borrow a hose if yours isn’t long enough. 

Yes there are public  toilets and boaters showers (crt key)at the far side of the Albert Dock.  

The maritime museum is nearer 😉

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

They're both 70x14 ... Not what I'd call a narrow boat!

I'm given to understand that 7'-14' beam boats built in the "style" of 7' beam narrowboats are called "widebeam narrowboats?

3 hours ago, MHS said:

Good to know if both my cassettes somehow fill in the couple of days I'll be there, but I would assume that most people would prefer to use their own boat's facilties than public showers/toilets wouldn't they?

3 hours ago, MHS said:

The skippers guide says there are two moorings per tap, but in any event I have a 10m+20m=30m hose, so should be OK :)

1 minute ago, jetzi said:

I'm given to understand that 7'-14' beam boats built in the "style" of 7' beam narrowboats are called "widebeam narrowboats?

Maybe, but those two are Leeds & Liverpool long boats, being ten feet too long to be L&L short boats.

They can't go up Wigan flight and through to Leeds, but can go Liverpool to Leigh on the L&L.

9 minutes ago, jetzi said:

Good to know if both my cassettes somehow fill in the couple of days I'll be there, but I would assume that most people would prefer to use their own boat's facilties than public showers/toilets wouldn't they?

The skippers guide says there are two moorings per tap, but in any event I have a 10m+20m=30m hose, so should be OK :)

These have absolutely no connection with fat narrow boats

starboard side view

Liverpool long boats Ambush and Viktoria travelling throug… | Flickr

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, MHS said:

Yes there is a secret door that takes a water mate key.

If your hose doesn't reach you could always turn the boat round ...

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

These have absolutely no connection with fat narrow boats

True, but Roger Lorenz built at least a couple of narrow boats in Viktoria's hold!