Torch for help with navigating tunnels

Chris77

Featured Posts

Hi, apologies if this has been posted before.  I had a good look around but couldn’t see anything specific on this topic.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a rechargeable or 12v torch that they use at the stern for additional lighting when heading through tunnels?

many thanks

Edited by Chris77
Adding thanks

2 minutes ago, Chris77 said:

Hi, apologies if this has been posted before.  I had a good look around but couldn’t see anything specific on this topic.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a rechargeable or 12v torch that they use at the stern for additional lighting when heading through tunnels?

I have never needed to use a torch in a tunnel, the headlight does the job and its not as if you can take the wrong turn, get lost or need to read a map.

What are you thinking that you may need a torch for ?

Thanks Alan!  In the few trial goes I have had (on courses) I have found having the headlight and cabin lights on ok but as a newbie it’s a bit of a challenge when keeping to the wall when passing other boats.  I was hoping a bit of illumination at the stern might help with judging this.

Hopefully, over time it won’t be an issue but I don’t want to be a problem for other boaters on my first trip which is coming up soon!

22 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

For narrow tunnels, a torch at the back can be helpful. I sometimes use a head torch, which obviously illuminates where you are looking. But please be considerate when using a torch in a 2 way tunnel. There is no point in you being able to see clearly what you are doing if you dazzle and blind the steerer of the boat coming the opposite way. He will just wander into the middle of the tunnel and ram you, even if you are right at the side!

The only use I can think of for a torch at the stern is to prevent a boat ramming you from behind - unless Chris means he'll be pointing it forwards.

I find a head torch, in conjunction with the light at the bow, helps when judging the angle between the boat and the tunnel wall. I find it makes it much easier to keep on the path you intended without drifting in to a wall. Doing this gets easier with practice without a light at the stern, but a head torch helps even then. Also means you can study any interesting brick/stone/rock work as you pass and avoid some of the drips. As @nicknorman said, you have to be careful not to look directly at the steerer of an oncoming boat so as not to dazzle them.

Jen

• Greenie 1

When passing boats coming the other way I just slowed right down and set the boat at an angle to the wall so it gently rubbed the top rubbing band along the wall and as the other boat passed brought the stern towards the wall. I suppose there are some tunnels where this procedure would cause the front of the boat roof to contact the tunnel, but I never found any. However, my roof tapered in a bit at the front.

• Greenie 1

As far as recommendations for a torch go. Torches are one of those products that have changed and improved out of all recognition since the start of the century. A combination of white LED's and rechargeable NiMH and Li-ion batteries make them brighter, more reliable, longer running and cheaper to use than ever before. Pretty much anything recent will be super powerful and long lasting, even cheapo no name stuff from a back street factory in China.

Have used one of these in the past in combination with the boats own front light to illuminate the tunnel roof when transiting Harecastle, placed on the hatch and angled so it lit the ceiling about halfway down the boats length. Wouldn’t use it as a regular thing, it was just an experiment to have a good look inside a tunnel, didn’t save me from the usual inevitable drip of tunnel juice down the back of the neck :D 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S7BQNC8

We have a long double-sided led tube inspection lamp from Lidl or Aldi. It has magnetic mounts at each end that swivel. I like to put it on the hatch pointing upwards so we can see the tunnel as we go. Love looking for old markings and repair patches because we are a bit geeky when it comes to buildings. 

• Greenie 2

It’s good to have a hand held light on the stern. You can see some interesting features on the tunnels walls and roof.

I have a Sealy LED rechargeable lamp, but can be used and recharged from a 12v cigar lighter.

it would also be handy to have a lamp available in an emergency. Such as something getting wrapped round the prop or an engine failure, or even worse, god forbid, someone falling overboard.

• Greenie 1

One other issue that has not been mentioned here is the fact that if you look directly at the bright patch of light on the wall that is generated by your own torch, you will destroy your own "night vision" so that you will have trouble seeing properly when you look forwards again

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, Chris77 said:

many thanks

I like the Ring RIL83 - seems to be available from Amazon. I've got a similar battery version from?? Aldi. Magnetic base, led lamp (including torch at the end), swivels in the middle, rubbery body so you can stick it anywhere metallic and point it virtually anywhere. Mine proved invaluable whilst stuck in my water tank so a tunnel should be a doddle!

1 hour ago, MrsM said:

We have a long double-sided led tube inspection lamp from Lidl or Aldi. It has magnetic mounts at each end that swivel. I like to put it on the hatch pointing upwards so we can see the tunnel as we go. Love looking for old markings and repair patches because we are a bit geeky when it comes to buildings. 

Apologies - not a direct answer but, for travelling through tunnels, I have a solar powered lamp - el cheapo from cheep shop. Stuck in the centre of the roof at t' front. If you can see 'the light at the end of the tunnel' line up the solar with the exit - advantage is it works automatically. Charges during the day and comes on as you enter the tunnel. Simple and lazy but that's the way I boat🙄.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Given the curvature of the bow on a narrow boat, I can't imagine the cabin top getting any closer to the tunnel lining than when the boat is in contact with the wall over its length.

Just look at some of the boats being turned out today, no tumblehome and the roof running over the well deck 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

...the headlight does the job and its not as if you can take the wrong turn, get lost or need to read a map. What are you thinking that you may need a torch for ?

L2783_20180704_0212s.jpg

Height can change, which the steerer may see clearly sixty foot ahead, but it then disappears into the darkness, and the extent of necessary head-lowering is lost. Thump. Owwww. This one from Gosty Hill just demonstrates the potential problem. Harecastle is very head-bangable.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

For narrow tunnels, a torch at the back can be helpful. I sometimes use a head torch, which obviously illuminates where you are looking. But please be considerate when using a torch in a 2 way tunnel. There is no point in you being able to see clearly what you are doing if you dazzle and blind the steerer of the boat coming the opposite way. He will just wander into the middle of the tunnel and ram you, even if you are right at the side!

Can you find one big enough to fit?

• Haha 1

I often use a head torch in tunnels which has an adjustable angle so if a boat is approaching I can direct it at my own feet so I don't blind the oncoming steerer.

It is interesting in some tunnels being able to have a look around as you pass features in the tunnel.