Thames pub moorings

umpire111

Featured Posts

Now in Staines and going west on Thames, need a quality pub/restaurant, preferably with moorings, to celebrate a special day. All suggestions greatly received. Reading web reviews we have found can be most misleading

You will need to book (...an appointment with your bank manager)

There are stacks of places and the vary from terrific but very Bohemian pubs to upmarket/celebrity chef eateries - what kind of celebration? Budget? Size of mooring?

ETA and how many days cruise up from Staines?

Edited by Bacchus

Beetle & Wedge @ Moulsford or The Old Leathern Bottle, Italian, (Goring) above Cleeve lock. Both have moorings, but best hone to check/book both the venue and mooring.

French Horne, Sonning.

No personal experience because they look as if they are "serve on plates that look as if they are left smears from the previous diners on the plates" type places.

You should not miss The Bounty opposite Bourne End. Moor just below the railway bridge against semi-submerged concrete and scramble up the bank. However, this one probably is way off your requirements

Plenty of choice in Windsor / Marlow / Henley (and indeed moorings!) depending on how far you want to go. The Kings Arms in Cookham has always been very good, a little way back from the river but loads of moorings. Avoid the obvious riverside option "the Ferry" there - although it has a nice terrace overlooking the river, food and service are always lacking although it has plenty of wasps. The Spade Oak in Bourne end is also a decent shout - again slightly back from the river but there are decent moorings (although not infinite space). Also recommend the Royal Stag in Datchet.

The swan at pangbourne and the st George and dragon in wargrave also recommended, although mooring opportunities limited at the latter.

39 minutes ago, phantom_iv said:

Plenty of choice in Windsor / Marlow / Henley (and indeed moorings!) depending on how far you want to go. The Kings Arms in Cookham has always been very good, a little way back from the river but loads of moorings. Avoid the obvious riverside option "the Ferry" there - although it has a nice terrace overlooking the river, food and service are always lacking although it has plenty of wasps. The Spade Oak in Bourne end is also a decent shout - again slightly back from the river but there are decent moorings (although not infinite space). Also recommend the Royal Stag in Datchet.

The swan at pangbourne and the st George and dragon in wargrave also recommended, although mooring opportunities limited at the latter.

But the OP asked for something special, and some of those are chain pubs

• Happy 1

I'm in Maidenhead, and would thoroughly recommend my local, The Boathouse at Boulters Lock.  Very good gastropubby type food, middling prices and pontoon mooring.

The Waterside is indeed fantastic, with Michelin stars and would be great it you wanted a very special formal dinner.  Not sure it'd accommodate a narrowboat on it's mooring though but worth asking ahead if you fancy it.  An alternative 'Roux' offering is located by Maidenhead Bridge at more Brasserie prices.

Oakley Court is good for a hotel.  Great location and a fantastic building which starred as the house in Rocky Horror and the School in St Trinians!

French Horn in Sonning is superb for very traditional French Cuisine at a high-ish price point, but is on a backwater and may be inaccessible depending on your boat and/or stream conditions. There's mooring in Sonning a five minute walk away though.  Also the Great House in Sonning which is good, or the pub, The Bull which George Clooney tried to buy so I guess is OK.

The Bounty is quirky but not a gastronomic destination unless you enjoy the 'prison chic' of having your (generally fried)meal served on a metal plate.

Spade Oak is good but don't bank on there being a mooring and if there isn't there's no alternative within a reasonable walk of the place. The King's Arms in Cookham as previously mentioned is excellent and the same 'mini chain' as the Spade Oak. Many other options in Cookham if you fancy a short stroll.  The restauranty White Oak is very good indeed, as is the pubby Old Swan Uppers.  

Marlow's got many options, the best IMO being Tom Kerridges 'The Coach'.   By the bridge and with potential moorings is the Compleat Angler with a great Michelin starred Indian restaurant.

Henley also has many offerings as mentioned.

Reading's not really the best for a 'special' experience IMO.

Hope this helps!

Bon Appetite 

• Greenie 2

On 07/07/2021 at 11:35, Tony Brooks said:

But the OP asked for something special, and some of those are chain pubs

True, I think the Royal Stag is the most “independent”, although I think the owners have a couple more pubs. I think the rest are chain pubs of some description, but some are better than others - vintage inns for example I avoid like the plague.

On 08/07/2021 at 19:10, Phlea said:

I'm in Maidenhead, and would thoroughly recommend my local, The Boathouse at Boulters Lock.  Very good gastropubby type food, middling prices and pontoon mooring.

The Waterside is indeed fantastic, with Michelin stars and would be great it you wanted a very special formal dinner.  Not sure it'd accommodate a narrowboat on it's mooring though but worth asking ahead if you fancy it.  An alternative 'Roux' offering is located by Maidenhead Bridge at more Brasserie prices.

Oakley Court is good for a hotel.  Great location and a fantastic building which starred as the house in Rocky Horror and the School in St Trinians!

French Horn in Sonning is superb for very traditional French Cuisine at a high-ish price point, but is on a backwater and may be inaccessible depending on your boat and/or stream conditions. There's mooring in Sonning a five minute walk away though.  Also the Great House in Sonning which is good, or the pub, The Bull which George Clooney tried to buy so I guess is OK.

The Bounty is quirky but not a gastronomic destination unless you enjoy the 'prison chic' of having your (generally fried)meal served on a metal plate.

Spade Oak is good but don't bank on there being a mooring and if there isn't there's no alternative within a reasonable walk of the place. The King's Arms in Cookham as previously mentioned is excellent and the same 'mini chain' as the Spade Oak. Many other options in Cookham if you fancy a short stroll.  The restauranty White Oak is very good indeed, as is the pubby Old Swan Uppers.  

Marlow's got many options, the best IMO being Tom Kerridges 'The Coach'.   By the bridge and with potential moorings is the Compleat Angler with a great Michelin starred Indian restaurant.

Hope this helps!

Bon Appetite 

That’s very useful, tx for taking time

On 08/07/2021 at 19:10, Phlea said:

Hope this helps!

Bon Appetite 

Many Tx, now off Thames but back on April next year to try those I missed