Travelling to Liverpool

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

59 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Because the bridge cannot be used during rush hours?

I don't know that is why I asked the question.

42 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Bridge 9, Handcock's Swing Bridge, Leeds and Liverpool Canal

Detail

From Date: 31/10/2019 09:00

To Date: On-going

Type: Advice

Reason: Information

Is the towpath closed? No

Closest waterway: Leeds & Liverpool Canal

Starts at: Bridge 9, Handcocks Swing Bridge

Ends at: Bridge 9, Handcocks Swing Bridge

Description

Please be reminded, use of Bridge 9, Handcock’s Swing Bridge is restricted during peak traffic times and will be open for user operation from 9:30am to 2:00pm and 6pm to 7:30am daily (no assistance required).

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/16514-bridge-9-handcocks-swing-bridge-leeds-and-liverpool-canal

thanks makes sense.

3 hours ago, churchward said:

Interresting.  Why that time to leave and open bridge?  and why more at the point you suggest?

Nice tip on the Elsan disposal etc. too.

Mooring by the bootle arms is the nicest mooring after you have passed through Maghull, it’s out in the country before you get to another built up area, and only half an hour to the timed opening bridge. Go through maghull at quieter times is best as well ,as there can be a lot of traffic at a couple of bridges, but it’s not essential to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2021 at 10:51, monkeyhanger said:

I will be travelling to Liverpool Salthouse dock from Scarisbrick marina later this week. Are there any do's/dont's to be aware of? What are the highlights you would recommend visiting when in Liverpool? Thank you.

Thank you for all the helpful advice. My stay in Liverpool was excellent. The trip through the docks was spectacular,  our mooring couldn't have been better, and Liverpool has a real buzz to it. Just strolling around, people watching and visiting the touristy sites put a permanent smile on my face. I don't think, in the previous posts, anyone mentioned Mathew St. That's a place no one should miss. We were there the weekend of the Euro final so perhaps the city was a bit livelier than normal. Queues waiting to get into bars at 5 o clock was quite common. Yes, Liverpool should be on everyone's "must visit" list. The only downside was the amount of weed we encountered getting there. From bridge 17 southwards the going was heavy and slow. The end result made it bearable however.

• Greenie 3