Jump to content

Travelling to Liverpool


Featured Posts

I will be travelling to Liverpool Salthouse dock from Scarisbrick marina later this week. Are there any do's/dont's to be aware of? What are the highlights you would recommend visiting when in Liverpool? Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Western Approaches Museum.

Old Town Hall.

Old Dock.

Maritime Museum.

Williamson Tunnels.

City Library.

St George's/ Radio Tower

Victoria Gallery.

 

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Liverpool is a fascinating city, lots of history and architecture.  Ignore the doomsayers, Scousers are on the whole friendly but like everywhere there are the idiots and scallies.

 

Beatles feature largely.

 

The two cathedrals are interesting and awe-inspiring.  

 

There are many vibrant pubs and restaurants but explore the ones off the well beaten tourist trail.

  • Greenie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Liverpool has some amazing independent pubs, bars and restaurants but you won't find any of them around the waterfront unfortunately (those spots seem to be reserved for the big chains). If it's the kind of thing you're after, the area between Bold St and Duke St is not a bad starting place. There is also a growing scene along Jamaica St. starting where the Cains Brewery used to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Except for The Baltic Fleet, 33a Wapping just few minutes walk away.

When we did this trip in 2019, as with everywhere we go, we used CAMRA's WhatPub on the net and found some brilliant boozerias. 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

I will be travelling to Liverpool Salthouse dock from Scarisbrick marina later this week. Are there any do's/dont's to be aware of? What are the highlights you would recommend visiting when in Liverpool? Thank you.

I can't offer any tips or advice but I hope you have a great trip to Liverpool  I am hoping to do the same later this year or possibly next year so an account of what you found to be good or bad and the trip into Liverpool would be good to know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, churchward said:

I can't offer any tips or advice but I hope you have a great trip to Liverpool  I am hoping to do the same later this year or possibly next year so an account of what you found to be good or bad and the trip into Liverpool would be good to know.

All the people I have met that have done it all sing its praises. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Liverpool is a fascinating city, lots of history and architecture.  Ignore the doomsayers, Scousers are on the whole friendly but like everywhere there are the idiots and scallies.

 

Beatles feature largely.

 

The two cathedrals are interesting and awe-inspiring.  

 

There are many vibrant pubs and restaurants but explore the ones off the well beaten tourist trail.

 

And if you're walking between the two Cathedrals then a quick visit to The Philharmonic has to be on the cards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, StephenA said:

 

And if you're walking between the two Cathedrals then a quick visit to The Philharmonic has to be on the cards.

Probably one of the only buildings on the planet where the ladies ask to have a look at The Gents.

Edited by JamesWoolcock
  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Probably one of the only buildings on the planet where the ladies ask to have a look at The Gents.

Apart from Twickenham. There's always ladies walking through to the stalls in there cos of the queues at the ladies! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Apart from Twickenham. There's always ladies walking through to the stalls in there cos of the queues at the ladies! 

 

Not really the same thing - they don't go into use them, just to look at them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

 

Not really the same thing - they don't go into use them, just to look at them.

And photograph them!

These places were designed by men at the instructions of men so that the Gents often turns out more spectacular than the ladies facilties.

Certainly the case at the Philharmonic. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

And photograph them!

These places were designed by men at the instructions of men so that the Gents often turns out more spectacular than the ladies facilties.

Certainly the case at the Philharmonic. 

 

Have you looked at the Ladies then to make the comparison?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moor before the swing bridge ,close to the bootle arms on the way in. You can follow the track through the farm if you want to go the pub.  Then set off about quarter to nine in the morning of the day of your trip, so you can open the bridge at half nine on Wango lane. Stop for services at Litherland, if needed for pump out or Elsan ,as they are expensive at Liverpool marina. That should get you to top of locks about  one fifteen. You will then arrive in salthouse dock about half two.

Unless you have a cruiser stern ,you will want to reverse into the mooring ,otherwise you are facing a large wall. Make sure you know where your mooring is, as it’s hard to see the numbers on the end of the jetties.

We are there now and it’s a fantastic trip, have your camera ready as you sail past the liver buildings etc, and there were lots ofvlockies there at first lock to help and advise if you want them.They may ring you on the day to find out when you will be arriving ,so have phone handy.

Look at the map to see where you go coming out of last lock at Mann island.

Wish we could stay longer.

Edited by Timx
Spelling
  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Timx said:

Moor before the swing bridge ,close to the bootle arms on the way in. You can follow the track through the farm if you want to go the pub.  Then set off about quarter to nine in the morning of the day of your trip, so you can open the bridge at half nine on Wango lane. Stop for services at Litherland, if needed for pump out or Elsan ,as they are expensive at Liverpool marina. That should get you to top of locks about  one fifteen. You will then arrive in salthouse dock about half two.

Unless you have a cruiser stern ,you will want to reverse into the mooring ,otherwise you are facing a large wall. Make sure you know where your mooring is, as it’s hard to see the numbers on the end of the jetties.

We are there now and it’s a fantastic trip, have your camera ready as you sail past the liver buildings etc, and there were lots ofvlockies there at first lock to help and advise if you want them.They may ring you on the day to find out when you will be arriving ,so have phone handy.

Look at the map to see where you go coming out of last lock at Mann island.

Wish we could stay longer.

Interresting.  Why that time to leave and open bridge?  and why more at the point you suggest?

 

Nice tip on the Elsan disposal etc. too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, churchward said:

Interresting.  Why that time to leave and open bridge?  and why more at the point you suggest?

 

Nice tip on the Elsan disposal etc. too.

Because the bridge cannot be used during rush hours?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bridge 9, Handcock's Swing Bridge, Leeds and Liverpool Canal

Detail

From Date: 31/10/2019 09:00

To Date: On-going

Type: Advice

Reason: Information

Is the towpath closed? No

Location

Closest waterway: Leeds & Liverpool Canal

Starts at: Bridge 9, Handcocks Swing Bridge

Ends at: Bridge 9, Handcocks Swing Bridge

Description

Please be reminded, use of Bridge 9, Handcock’s Swing Bridge is restricted during peak traffic times and will be open for user operation from 9:30am to 2:00pm and 6pm to 7:30am daily (no assistance required).

 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/16514-bridge-9-handcocks-swing-bridge-leeds-and-liverpool-canal

Edited by David Mack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 "You can follow the track through the farm if you want to go the pub.  "

 

That farmyard is amazing. The track is on bedrock and the The foundations for the barn are are carved out of the bedrock as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.