Engine Hours?

paul68

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

The acidic compounds in old sump oil are far less now we have to use low sulphur diesel, but I would certainly change it in the autumn if  there was to be little running over winter. It's not worth not to.

Indeed, and when ULS diesel came in, BT reduced the oil change frequency of its then 6,500 generators from 1 to 6 years or 250 hours, whichever came first.

However this change was supported by much oil analysis, and unlike boat diesel engines, standby generators are housed indoors, have crankcase heaters to ensure the coolant is always warm (to assist cold start load acceptance), so no condensation forms on the inside of the engine preventing oil emulsification and generally run at fairly high loads.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

I have a very ad hoc logbook mainly to keep a check on the holding tank. It includes the engine oil change hours, filter changes and generator oil change hours. If I ever sell I may hand over those pages but other comment are personal 

1 hour ago, luggsy said:

Just changed both fuel filters after 2000 hours still like new , I have a fuelguard fitted and have used fuelset from day one , also changed gearbox oil just the alternator belts to change now , going to leave them as my back is fxxking killing me , boat is in for blacking tomorrow so will change them tomorrow, for those who do not know wat the fuelguard is see picture 

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

Is that really a glass fuel filter housing?

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Part of the reason to change the oil is to remove the acid carbon 'infested' oil that will etch into your vital bits if left.

It is recommended that if a boat is to be left standing for a period (say over Winter) that the oil should be changed as part of the Winterising process.

If your boat has had the same oil for over 12 months, and you are proposing to leave it another 12 months you will be doing damage to your engine. It'll cost more in engine rebuilds than 5 litres of oil,

The base number (BN) is a property that is more associated with engine oils rather than industrial oils. It can be defined as the oil’s ability to neutralize acids that are produced during use. The higher the base number in the engine oil, the more acid it will be able to neutralize during use.

New engine oils usually have a range of 5 to 15 BN. As oil is used in service, it becomes contaminated with acids, causing the base number to drop over time. By using oil analysis for your engine oil, you will be able to track the BN of your oil and determine how much life is remaining. Once the base number drops below 3, this is considered too low and should trigger an oil change for your engine.

The most common reasons for a drop in the base number are related to low-quality fuel and oil oxidation. During combustion, a low-quality fuel with high sulfur content can produce sulfuric acid, which attacks the oil and causes a drop in the base number. Oil oxidation as a result of the engine overheating or an attempt to extend the oil drain interval is another reason you may see a drop in the BN.

The quoted bit cautions against extending the service hours - doesn't mention any issue from leaving it unused for long periods.  You will need to look elsewhere for advice on possible damage arising from that

30 minutes ago, Tacet said:

The quoted bit cautions against extending the service hours - doesn't mention any issue from leaving it unused for long periods.  You will need to look elsewhere for advice on possible damage arising from that

Engine manuals or, the RCD owners manual will normally state that for Winter Lay-Up the engine oil should be changed.

Example :

Screenshot (462).png

My Beta manual says on one page that the oil should be changed before the winter to get rid of harmful acids, but on another page it says it should be changed after the winter because of the condensation caused by the cold weather. I refuse to do both!