Blacking paint choice

Featured Posts

Morning

I am having my boat blacked in the not too distant future, and have been given a choice of paints: Intertuf and Two Pot Epoxy.

The price difference is not huge so wondered what would be the best choice. This is the first time I have had the boat blacked and have no idea about the choices.

I have searched (probably not as much as i should have) but still not sure.

Any help hugely appreciated as i have to fill in a consent form with my choice

Thanks

Thanks David. The service includes pressure washing, which I presume is not shot blasting 🙂 - so essentially my choice depends largely on what was applied before? (assuming I can't get it shot-blasted).

14 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

Thanks David. The service includes pressure washing, which I presume is not shot blasting 🙂 - so essentially my choice depends largely on what was applied before? (assuming I can't get it shot-blasted).

Grit blasting, not so destructive.  There are surface tolerant epoxies but I have no experience with them over bitumen.

Are you doing the base plate? It has probably never been painted, worth considering if you are keeping the boat. Beware of MIC!

Thanks Tracy. I'm sorry, but I think I have wasted your time somewhat. Just spoke to the yard where it is being done. They don't do shot-blasting and feel sure that there is bitumen on there at the moment - they think they did it last time. Intertuf it is going to be then!

I wasn't planning on doing the base plate, but happy to do so if possible / convenient when out of the water.

Thanks again

I had mine done like this 2 years ago at Northwich Drydock, I can't see underwater but the waterline looks to be holding up very well. For the difference in price I felt it worth the risk of the extra cash, it can't be worse than standard blacking IMO

Edited by ditchcrawler