New Springer - Sale Agreed - Need to organize a survey, etc...

Featured Posts

I think that in the present a pair of rose tinted glasses are a prerequisite for buying a Springer.  Don't be mislead or deluded about what you are buying.

Its an old very cheaply made boat that was never made to last this long and was not even a mid market product when new.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A bit more history :

Apologies to all the moaners who don't like cut and paste but I don't yet have a fully functioning time machine.

Springer Boats.jpg

I have been ringing frantically to put an order in but as yet I can't get through...

• Haha 2
  • Horror 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just remember the old sayings "quality costs" & "you get what you pay for"

I've just read the ad again, I don't think i'll bother, the prices don't include VAT, not only that, I'm fed up with ringing and not getting through..

Edited by paul68
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, paul68 said:

I have been ringing frantically to put an order in but as yet I can't get through...

Ah you need to put a 1 after the 0 these days.......01858 62982. Ask him for a long weight. 🤣

Edited by booke23
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Ah you need to put a 1 after the 0 these days.......01858 62982. Ask him for a long weight. 🤣

and someone yesterday suggested I don't have a sense of humour..albeit a warped one..

Edited by paul68
  • Greenie 1

That add is one of the later ones after the firm had changed hands I think. The price I remember was for  a 38 foot not 36 as I 

previously mentioned. I think it was £3800 plus VAT fully fitted in pine and with a 2 cylinder Ducati air cooled engine, supplied in primer.

VAT on luxury goods was 25% in those times.

Go on, try ringing 1974 -we definitly had a crap government.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All, Survey came back pretty good, or at least better than I expected!. There is a lot of work to do and the most important or major thing is some welding on the bow; though on the whole the hull is in good condition with no pitting and seems have been constructed from one of the "thicker" batches of steel than some other Springers.  The other major thing was the gearbox seems like it may have some issues. but there' also many many other things that I'll need to take care of! Oh and in general the whole boat could use a proper paint job, which there is no hurry though; but worth noting as if I don't do that myself it is a major expense too. 

The other liveable concern is the  batteries are totally dead and as they aren't taking a charge the DC essentially does not work. Also the water pump and fan were not tested, etc...   There are AC outlets, though and plugged it those do work. 

Plus there are some various leak issues around widows and ceiling fan, etc.. and many other little and perhaps not so little things.  On the whole though the boat seems comfortable and I'd have no problem staying in it as it is, and working on it as I go. 

This was not an engine inspection. I just got a bit of personal feedback from the surveyor as he was on the boat when it sailed 50 yards to the  drydock and back. The engine appears to hum along pretty good, but I'll need to get an inspection and tune up no doubt. 

Anyway, the project itself; well I have tons of questions and lots of things to do. So think I best post up a page perhaps?  Or just post up things as I go?  

I much appreciate everyone's feedback, positive and otherwise! I'm now a canal boat owner!  😊