Boat wraps

colinashby

Featured Posts

A large portion of our boat is painted maroon and as maroon so often fades badly, so ours has. The green paint surrounding it is fine. 

We cannot afford to paint the boat but have heard a lot about wraps although we wouldn't be wrapping the whole boat.

What are your thoughts and experiences with vinyl wraps/stickers?

6 minutes ago, colinashby said:

Hi Jimmy, 

Perhaps you could give me a quote?

Thanks 

You should remove your email address. You can use personal mail on here instead. Access edit via the three dots, to the top right of your post. 

Edited by Athy
To remove personal information.

3 minutes ago, Higgs said:

You should remove your email address. You can use personal mail on here instead. 

Perhaps quoting it wasn't a great idea, then.

Both now removed.

Wish I thought of this when I had my narrowboat. I hated painting and everything that went with it. So with vinyl, I imagine you could prime the entire boat with red oxide and/or primer and then vinyl on top?

6 minutes ago, RichM said:

Wish I thought of this when I had my narrowboat. I hated painting and everything that went with it. So with vinyl, I imagine you could prime the entire boat with red oxide and/or primer and then vinyl on top?

can it trap water under it?

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

can it trap water under it?

Excellent point/question.  We recently had one of our cars wrapped and it took them a week to do with ‘baking’ to ensure it was dry and cured/adhered properly.  Reasonably easy to do with a car but cant see how this can be achieved so easily with a boat - not without it taking a long time and done bit by bit, to make sure moisture isnt trapped underneath.  Also our car was nearly new so there were no imperfections in the paint from which corrosion under the wrap could spread.  Preping a boat to ensure the same might be quite a task.

As for the finish on our car you cant tell its not a paint job.  Its warranteed for 2 years but been told it should last 10 in our climate here.

In a nutshell the better the prep the better the finished job, same as everything. The vinyl is very thin so will show any imperfections underneath. But then again so does paint. If it’s not done in the rain then there’s no reason why moisture would be trapped underneath. I’ve never heard of a car being baked after it’s been wrapped? If it’s a tricky part of a vehicle then a heat gun is used to help form the vinyl but that’s it as far as I know. But having said that, perhaps it’s a new thing, there’s new products on the market every week it seems. Just bear in mind it’s NOT going to be like a paint finish, but it’s not going to take as long to do or cost as much either. My advice to anyone thinking about this would be to order a sample of wrapping vinyl about A4 and stick it on your boat. 

Edited by Jimmiboy