Stainforth & Keadby

MrsM

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if a 62ft nb will be permitted passage and/or will fit through the locks on the Stainforth and Keadby canal? The published maximum length is 61'8". Asking for a friend. Thanks. 

Thanks Alan. It's the Hull length and d they've already removed them for some of the L&L locks. They are waiting to do the Pollington to Sykehouse transit and some locals have told them they won't be allowed through Thorne & Bramwith locks.

3 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Yes, it will definitely fit. When I used to moor in Sheffield basin a boat came up from the trent that was 64', he had no problems in the locks diagonally but did admit to telling the lockies he was 61' when asked.

Excellent thank you!

2 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Who exactly will be stopping them? Unless things have changed recently you work Thorne and Bramwith locks yourself. 

Strange - I wonder why on earth they were told that then?

Thank you all. That will come as a big relief. X

17 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Thanks Alan. It's the Hull length and d they've already removed them for some of the L&L locks. They are waiting to do the Pollington to Sykehouse transit and some locals have told them they won't be allowed through Thorne & Bramwith locks.

Excellent thank you!

You can get the QE2 through Bramwith.

It has three sets of gates.

Or rather it did when we boated there, I presume it still does.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You can get the QE2 through Bramwith.

It has three sets of gates.

Or rather it did when we boated there, I presume it still does.

It does.  Which of the YouTube plebs did it recently and tried to use it as a staircase lock?! 

• Haha 3

The biggest mistake written is Thorne lock which makes many boaters shy away from doing the northern canals. When I took my 70 footer up there we were prepared and thought we would be going round Trent end but actualy went to Thorne and found we had very nearly a quarter of an inch clearance :D so depending on how long my steve Hudson seventy foot boat was is precisely how long a narrow beam you can get through Thorne lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

The biggest mistake written is Thorne lock which makes many boaters shy away from doing the northern canals. When I took my 70 footer up there we were prepared and thought we would be going round Trent end but actualy went to Thorne and found we had very nearly a quarter of an inch clearance :D so depending on how long my steve Hudson seventy foot boat was is precisely how long a narrow beam you can get through Thorne lol.

It did catch me out first time we used it because the gates are from memory independently operated on each side unlike the other locks up there which hydraulically operate both gates at each end simultaneously.

I couldnt initially work out why only one gate was operating.

Of course if I'd read the instructions on the panel.........

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Sykhouse lock!! If only someone hadn't removed the instructions it would have been easy that first time?

Daftest thing I ever did at Sykehouse was whilst locking through with a GRP boat.

As by then I was familiar with the sequence  I offered to operate the lock and talk a crew member from the other boat through it. The son of the skipper was happy with this and he stepped ashore and joined me.

All was going well till the end when I was letting our boat out the lock and whilst distracted chatting to the son started closing the gates.

At first he didnt say anything but when the gates where just about to touch he piped up.....

'Er...... are you going to let my dad out the lock.......?   ??

Oops.

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It did catch me out first time we used it because the gates are from memory independently operated on each side unlike the other locks up there which hydraulically operate both gates at each end simultaneously.

I couldnt initially work out why only one gate was operating.

Of course if I'd read the instructions on the panel.........

I think they must have changed it since then. Locked up a few weeks ago by the lock keeper, then brought ourselves back down. Paddles operated simultaneously, although more gently than the keeper did it. There are very few instructions - the control box assumes that you know the order in which a lock works, and where in the sequence the bridge falls, although it won’t let you do it unsafely, and it won't give you your CaRT key back until the bridge is open to traffic, all gates are closed and all paddles down. And hopefully most of the time that will be after your boat has escaped the lock!

33 minutes ago, Marbling said:

I think they must have changed it since then. Locked up a few weeks ago by the lock keeper, then brought ourselves back down. Paddles operated simultaneously, although more gently than the keeper did it. There are very few instructions - the control box assumes that you know the order in which a lock works, and where in the sequence the bridge falls, although it won’t let you do it unsafely, and it won't give you your CaRT key back until the bridge is open to traffic, all gates are closed and all paddles down. And hopefully most of the time that will be after your boat has escaped the lock!

From memory you can operate the gates simultaneously but both sides need to have a button pressed to do this.

All the other locks up there the gates open and close on a single button not two.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

My memory might be faulty then! It was the first and only lock I've ever operated without windlass and bum power and was just hoping to get the boat out again at the end of it… I definitely got all the gates open (and closed) using the buttons on one control panel, not so certain about the paddles.

20 minutes ago, Marbling said:

My memory might be faulty then! It was the first and only lock I've ever operated without windlass and bum power and was just hoping to get the boat out again at the end of it… I definitely got all the gates open (and closed) using the buttons on one control panel, not so certain about the paddles.

Yes, Thorne is unusual in that I recall there is only one control panel/pedestal. Normally the hydraulic locks have a panel at each end of the lock that operate the respective gates and paddles. With one button to open both gates at that end and one button to close. Ditto on paddle operation.

12 hours ago, Marbling said:

Cross-purposes here?  Possibly you are referring to Sykehouse, while the post you are answering is about Thorne.  There is no lock-keeper at Thorne.   There are bridges at both, though - Sykehouse in the middle of the lock, and Thorne just above it.  Both have to be operated correctly.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Cross-purposes here?  Possibly you are referring to Sykehouse, while the post you are answering is about Thorne.  There is no lock-keeper at Thorne.   There are bridges at both, though - Sykehouse in the middle of the lock, and Thorne just above it.  Both have to be operated correctly.

I think you are correct.

2 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Usually Volunteer lock keepers at Thorne lock and Bramwith this time of year. 

18 hours ago, MrsM said:

Does anyone know if a 62ft nb will be permitted passage and/or will fit through the locks on the Stainforth and Keadby canal? The published maximum length is 61'8". Asking for a friend. Thanks. 

They will be fine through there, I’m over 62ft with fenders and go through regular with no problems, actually will be going through in the next couple of days, enough room in Bramwith and Thorne, Volunteer lock keepers on both what I’ve heard from passing boats.

😀They’re just going through Bramwith now 3x boats, if they use the far/end gates they’ll all get through😀 No lock keeper on there today though. “May the force be with them”

Edited by PD1964
  • Haha 1