Proposed cruise from GU to Shropshire Union - comments?

max campbell

Featured Posts

We're leaving Ventnor Marina, near Napton, next week to spend a couple of weeks on our Viking 28 NB.

We propose to follow the GU to Salford Junction, then the Tame Valley through Perry Bar, then a loop either through Rushall or through Walsall to the top of the Wolverhampton locks, and via Autherley Junction into the Shropshire Union, hoping to get as far as Gnosall, where we used to live nearly 40 years ago.

Should we expect queues for locks? Any other comments? 

We have transited Birmingham a couple of times before, and will try & find somewhere reasonably rural for overnight stops.

Are your windows leak free now?

I would do the Rushall loop rather than the Tame Valley /walsall due to the volume of rubbish in the 2nd. It's far easier to find rural spots on the Rushall and there are some interesting arms off, well.worth doing. 

We did see a yoghurt pot sink on the Perry Barr flight a couple of years ago(BCN challenge) speared by a wooden pole.

Edited by matty40s

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Nothing wrong with the proposed route, via Rushall.  But have you thought about going, North Stratford, W&B, Main Line, Ryders Green, Tame Valley, Rushall, …

I will mention one thing, the Great Ryders Green Trolley Barrier Reef (sponsored by Asda) and a Viking 28 are not a good mix.

Edited by matty40s

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Are your windows leak free now?

I would do the Rushall loop rather than the Tame Valley /walsall due to the volume of rubbish in the 2nd. It's far easier to find rural spots on the Rushall and there are some interesting arms off, well.worth doing. 

We did see a yoghurt pot sink on the Perry Barr flight a couple of years ago(BCN challenge) speared by a wooden pole.

Having done the Walsall a few weeks ago I would agree with that. as for queues, last week we did Farmers Bridge and Aston without seeing another boat on the move. Not a single boat moored in Gas Street. We have moored at Star City, Perry Barr top Lock, Longwood, Pelsall Common, top of the Walsall canal , Top of Wolverhampton

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

I will mention one thing, the Great Ryders Green Trolley Barrier Reef (sponsored by Asda) and a Viking 28 are not a good mix.

Didn't have a problem last time we went that way

3 hours ago, max campbell said:

Thanks, but we have done that before, so prefer to try unknown, or at least un remembered, waters.

How polite. My pleasure and I hope you have a great trip. ?

20 hours ago, max campbell said:

We're leaving Ventnor Marina, near Napton, next week to spend a couple of weeks on our Viking 28 NB.

We propose to follow the GU to Salford Junction, then the Tame Valley through Perry Bar, then a loop either through Rushall or through Walsall to the top of the Wolverhampton locks, and via Autherley Junction into the Shropshire Union, hoping to get as far as Gnosall, where we used to live nearly 40 years ago.

Should we expect queues for locks? Any other comments? 

We have transited Birmingham a couple of times before, and will try & find somewhere reasonably rural for overnight stops.

Or you could go via Netherton, The Delph, and Stourton.

The Wolverhampton 21 are hard work - with jammed anti-vandal locks and the odd faulty paddle.  Only saw one other boat end of April when we went up and down

the visitor mooring at the top is next to a very open park near the ring road, better to go into the old FMC basin which now has a small outside bar - in April it closed by 10.  Room for 2 boats there.

We did part of the route from Birmingham via Wolverhampton then the Shropshire Union at the end of April.  No queues then, except one boat at the solitary Wheaton Aston lock of course!  Didn't find the Wolverhampton Locks too bad to be honest, seemed quite reasonably. We moored by Tipton the night before and went to Mad O'Rourkes,  I've also moored at Wednesfield before and it was fine and not far from the Wolverhampton locks.