Any full timers on the Anglian waterways?

paul68

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

I'm glad that the sometimes navigable flood control system (R Nene) deters canal boaters from venturing East.

Having said that there appears to be a glut this year ?

See you next week...?

9 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Where are you off to ? 

Nene, with an outside possibility of a Wash crossing.

1 minute ago, pearley said:

You going to visit us at Hartford?

Dont think we are coming that far.

47 minutes ago, paul68 said:

Just looked at your flickr photos mate, very good, some great shots.

Thankyou

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Nene, with an outside possibility of a Wash crossing.

Assume a pilot is recommended for a crossing from the mouth of the Nene to the mouth of the Gt Ouse? I know you need one going from the Nene to the Witham, but just wondered if you need one to get the Gt Ouse as it's only a few miles. I did Bristol Avon to Portishead without a pilot but I guess there are more sandbanks in the Wash?

Edited by blackrose

21 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Assume a pilot is recommended for a crossing from the mouth of the Nene to the mouth of the Gt Ouse? I know you need one going from the Nene to the Witham, but just wondered if you need one to get the Gt Ouse as it's only a few miles. I did Bristol Avon to Portishead without a pilot but I guess there are more sandbanks in the Wash?

I would have a pilot for both, you still have to go a long way out before turning back up the Ouse channel.

Boston will be the destination for us if we get the tide/pilot and weather window.

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

I would have a pilot for both, you still have to go a long way out before turning back up the Ouse channel.

Boston will be the destination for us if we get the tide/pilot and weather window.

image.png.04c428df49a1423c698e0c93afa73ddc.png

On 03/07/2021 at 18:40, Loddon said:

Try Little Ouse Moorings, not sure if they allow livaboards but very nice helpful people.

Not all are 48hrs,  the moorings on Well Creek on the Middle Level are 36hrs max ;)

I've been in touch with Little Ouse Moorings, they said their moorings were for 'leisure use only'. I haven't replied but can someone explain this to me. I told them that we would only be using the mooring as a base and not moored up 24/7 all year and we would be going off cruising for weeks at a time. So what's the difference between that and someone who moors their boat up continuously and spends weeks aboard and never moves? We could probably be spending around the same amount of time actually on the mooring.

8 minutes ago, paul68 said:

I've been in touch with Little Ouse Moorings, they said their moorings were for 'leisure use only'. I haven't replied but can someone explain this to me. I told them that we would only be using the mooring as a base and not moored up 24/7 all year and we would be going off cruising for weeks at a time. So what's the difference between that and someone who moors their boat up continuously and spends weeks aboard and never moves? We could probably be spending around the same amount of time actually on the mooring.

Various Local Authorities apply different conditions to planning permission for marinas, some will say that no one can stay overnight on their boats, some may say a maximim of 28 days per year, others may say maximum of 364 days per annum.

A marina that I was in the rule for leisure use was that at least one night per month the owner (or owner and boat) must not be in the marina - ie take the boat out, moor up 100 yards down the canal / river, back in to the marina in the morning and all is well.

Maybe explain your planned usage and ask then what they, or their LA consider to be 'leisure usage.

One of the problems is 'those that have gone before' and may not be so honest as you.

They take a leisure mooring & once there, move in as liveaboards and are then very difficult to remove.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Various Local Authorities apply different conditions to planning permission for marinas, some will say that no one can stay overnight on their boats, some may say a maximim of 28 days per year, others may say maximum of 364 days per annum.

A marina that I was in the rule for leisure use was that at least one night per month the owner (or owner and boat) must not be in the marina - ie take the boat out, moor up 100 yards down the canal / river, back in to the marina in the morning and all is well.

Maybe explain your planned usage and ask then what they, or their LA consider to be 'leisure usage.

One of the problems is 'those that have gone before' and may not be so honest as you.

They take a leisure mooring & once there, move in as liveaboards and are then very difficult to remove.

Thanks Alan, you make some good points, I think maybe our best approach is to visit the marinas personally and speak to the people face to face. After all they don't know me from Adam and I could be someone from the authorities 'checking up' on them?. cheers

Edited by paul68
  • Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

The EA 'leisure moorings' state that you are allowed to stay for 3 nights out of every seven.

Do you mean permanent moorings?

There are not many EA permanent moorings about, Northampton, Denver and one other I believe.

All EA temporary moorings are maxium 48hrs, no mention of nights!

If you are looking for trouble free live aboard moorings look at the River Lark, we lived aboard for 10 years at Riverside Island Marina. We would take off for a week or two, returning for a few weeks before taking off again. 

And of course we just hunkered down for the winter 

Phil 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

20 hours ago, Loddon said:

Do you mean permanent moorings?

There are not many EA permanent moorings about, Northampton, Denver and one other I believe.

All EA temporary moorings are maxium 48hrs, no mention of nights!

Yes that's correct permanent moorings, the ones at Upware are great - but don't tell everyone......

6 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

If you are looking for trouble free live aboard moorings look at the River Lark, we lived aboard for 10 years at Riverside Island Marina. We would take off for a week or two, returning for a few weeks before taking off again. 

And of course we just hunkered down for the winter 

Phil 

That's exactly the type of place we had in mind but we are still in two minds to either go for that sort of mooring or say sod it and CC on the CRT canals.

On 10/07/2021 at 15:15, paul68 said:

That's exactly the type of place we had in mind but we are still in two minds to either go for that sort of mooring or say sod it and CC on the CRT canals.

Why not do both? Do some CCing for a year or three while casually looking for a mooring that suits you? 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

There are moorings advertised at Brandon Bank on the  Little Ouse

Says to contact Woodford  and co estate agents in Oundle

Thanks, i'll look into it. We will be having a few road trips down that way in a few weeks to have a look at a few places.