More volockie hassle

nicknorman

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well REGina at London ain't the Queen either.

And nothing is registered at Watford.

Ah happy days - when there was some esprit de cours and the navigation authority knew something about boats.

Now its all about pen pushers (or to be kinder - about folks who don't have the waterways at heart - merely have to administer it).

You're all - all of ye - doomed, doomed I say....

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I think in some circumstances it can be hard to see if there is a boat coming the other way (bridge etc in the way) but at Glascote I am struggling to think of any justification!

I was ascending the bottom lock at Glascote when someone turned the top lock some years ago. As there was only one top paddle working at the time this produced an extra long delay that irritated the queue behind me. When someone (not me) asked him about it he first said it was helpful to raise the water level above a slow lock to keep the pressure up. When this was questioned he said he was in a hurry as he had to get to his sister's funeral. Things seemed to be getting a bit heated after that, so I was glad that the lock had finally filled and I was on my way.

I had a lad attempt to turn a lock as I was entering the bottom gates, he hadn't even noticed that the bottom gates were open but had a surprise when I blasted the horn at him and suggested in the future he has a look before opening a paddle.

17 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

Wow that's appaling (the instances above), are people really that selfish and retarded..?! When I get to a lock the first thing i do is look to see if anyone is approaching open gates and wave then innit needs be...

More and more boaters seem to now arrive at a lock and start operating it without any checking of whether another boat is approaching.  I was pleasantly surprised a few weeks ago when I saw a boat arrive at a lock we were approaching and the lady set the lock for us and waved us in. I've also had boaters surprised when we have opened the gates for them as they just assumed that it would be our lock because we got there first.

• Greenie 1

On 17/07/2021 at 08:49, Nightwatch said:

We had a lock turned against us on Thursday. Really annoying, but what can you do. 

I had a lock at Atherstone ( lock 2)turned on me by a volocky as I was coming up the flight a couple of years back.  When I remonstrated with him, he said it was so he could show a party of schoolchildren how a lock works. When I said to him that surely it would be better with a boat in the lock he didn't seem to understand.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I've also had boaters surprised when we have opened the gates for them as they just assumed that it would be our lock because we got there first.

Yup I do that, it's polite and saves water, why fill or empty an empty lock when there's a boat monents away!

Edited by Quattrodave
  • Greenie 3

Ah happy days - when there was some esprit de cours and the navigation authority knew something about boats.

Now its all about pen pushers (or to be kinder - about folks who don't have the waterways at heart - merely have to administer it).

You're all - all of ye - doomed, doomed I say.... Old Goat

His boat is up for sale. I wonder why?

8 minutes ago, Loddon said:

If both sets of gates are closed, the lock is half full and two boats arrive from opposite directions at the same time how do you decide whose lock it is, toss a coin?

You carry on filling the lock, saves water, rather than dumping half a lock.

• Greenie 3

5 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

What do you guys mean by 'the locks turned whilst you were in them'?

Many years ago I had the Bascote Locks on the Grand Union turned on me and the boat I was sharing with whilst we were descending.

Turned out the "turner" had a short boat and wanted to come up as we were going down, to save time and water.

It was my introduction to the Bunbury Shuffle.

• Happy 1