More volockie hassle

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Of course there is a wide variety of characters who volunteer at locks. But there does seem to be a disproportionately high number of grumpy old men with zero social skills including an inability to even form a reasonable sentence. Mr canalboat being a good example. Which is odd because you would think CRT wanted public-facing volunteers who were vibrant, chatty and engaging with members of the public. Seems not!

17 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Of course there is a wide variety of characters who volunteer at locks. But there does seem to be a disproportionately high number of grumpy old men with zero social skills including an inability to even form a reasonable sentence. Mr canalboat being a good example. Which is odd because you would think CRT wanted public-facing volunteers who were vibrant, chatty and engaging with members of the public. Seems not!

But that in its self is a problem that you have to watch at Fradley, they will be working a lock and then turn and chat to passes by and not watch what is happening. Best example I saw of not communicating was at Bunbury, Us and another boat in the top lock, gates closed. Drew his side paddle then went and sat on his chair facing away from the lock and reading his paper. The couple on the other boat were ones that commented "O good I don't need to get off"

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

But that in its self is a problem that you have to watch at Fradley, they will be working a lock and then turn and chat to passes by and not watch what is happening. Best example I saw of not communicating was at Bunbury, Us and another boat in the top lock, gates closed. Drew his side paddle then went and sat on his chair facing away from the lock and reading his paper. The couple on the other boat were ones that commented "O good I don't need to get off"

Had same experience at Fradley two weeks ago. VL opened the paddles and never looked at me or the boat.  For the next ones we took over.

3 hours ago, PaulD said:

Had same experience at Fradley two weeks ago. VL opened the paddles and never looked at me or the boat.  For the next ones we took over.

When this has happened to me I have shouted to wind the paddles down and then took over myself.

3 hours ago, PaulD said:

I’ve yelled at vlockies and other people with a windlass when that’s happened. I have long held the opinion that if I’m not happy with a situation it’s better to sort it there and then than worry someone might be offended…..I know full well they wouldn’t take responsibility for any damage that was caused. 

Edited by frangar

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it’s a bit like the WW2 “send three and fourpence, we’re going to a dance”.

He has been reported to CRT along with a video taken by a passer-by!” without actually clarifying who was reported to CRT by whom.

Although of course bearing in mind a couple of weeks has elapsed, it could be an entirely different event. And for the record I resent people who “turn locks” in the face of oncoming boats, or “over-set” locks long before their boat arrives.

<strange font change and underlining not of my doing>

Edited by nicknorman

7 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Yes it’s a bit like the WW2 “send three and fourpence, we’re going to a dance”.

He has been reported to CRT along with a video taken by a passer-by!” without actually clarifying who was reported to CRT by whom.

Although of course bearing in mind a couple of weeks has elapsed, it could be an entirely different event. And for the record I resent people who “turn locks” in the face of oncoming boats, or “over-set” locks long before their boat arrives.

<strange font change and underlining not of my doing>

Everyday is a schoolday on CWDF. Had to Google that reference to understand the Chinese whispers meaning. Similar to the the three old chaps sitting on a bench.  1. It's windy isn't it? 2. No,  Thursday!  3. Me too, let's have a pint.

Edited by BilgePump
spooling

15 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

I think Our Nick might be interested in this...................

http://andmilliemakesthree.blogspot.com/2021/07/bancroft-basin-stratford-upon-avon.html

5th, or perhaps 6th if the final line counts as a paragraph, paragraph from the bottom.

Two of them were holding hands when we came up. the other was chatting to the tent dweller.

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We had a lock turned against us on Thursday. Really annoying, but what can you do. 

Breathe deeply. Put the kettle in (or pour a beer, depending on time of day). Drink with obvious relish when the lock turner eventually chugs past you.

They would have had the opportunity for a relaxing drink themselves, had they not been so bloody impatient.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Breathe deeply. Put the kettle in (or pour a beer, depending on time of day). Drink with obvious relish when the lock turner eventually chugs past you.

They would have had the opportunity for a relaxing drink themselves, had they not been so bloody impatient.

I was always the sort of bloke who would lend a hand at a lock, whilst waiting my turn, but if someone turned a lock against me...

I took pleasure in sitting and watching or maybe even walking around and just staring.

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

In the past fortnight I have had both the top and bottom Glascote locks turned when I have been in the other one.

I think in some circumstances it can be hard to see if there is a boat coming the other way (bridge etc in the way) but at Glascote I am struggling to think of any justification!

49 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think in some circumstances it can be hard to see if there is a boat coming the other way (bridge etc in the way) but at Glascote I am struggling to think of any justification!

And no one gains because the boat coming up, who we had to wait for then had to wait for the boat ahead of him to clear the top lock. O I might add it wasn't a hire boat it was one where its compulsory to have the engine room doors open.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

And no one gains because the boat coming up, who we had to wait for then had to wait for the boat ahead of him to clear the top lock. O I might add it wasn't a hire boat it was one where its compulsory to have the engine room doors open.

Ah, but they have right of way in Tamworth...