More volockie hassle

nicknorman

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, frangar said:

Maybe.....the quote function is very useful in such situations to avoid confusion........

23 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

No, he was replying to Tracy’s post and seeming to agree with him.

Sorry, I missed adding this :

Tongue Cheek Small.png

39 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I remember graffiti on a canal bridge somewhere years ago "Stop motorway madness on canals" how astute that was. 

The motorways are more relaxing...."SMOKE PIES" over an M6 bridge today..

• Haha 1

I still think the answer would be to make volokies a bookable offering so if you want help book a volunteer to assist.  Then it would be clear which boats want help and which don't.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Rob-M said:

I still think the answer would be to make volokies a bookable offering so if you want help book a volunteer to assist.  Then it would be clear which boats want help and which don't.

So long as we know where Nick is going to be cruising before he sets off, I can see the entertainment value...

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Maybe we should all keep one of these on the boat, and display as required >

Orion Safety Products 458 Orion Packakged Help Safety Flag

Guardian LCHF Help Flag: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And the good thing about it is that those that don't, don't display it.

Those that do, do.

One day you may have had an accident, or a breakdown and be grateful for it

It not being 1975 I have mobile communications for such moments. 

21 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Been there many years, the author is a pensioner now!

It was repainted about 3 years ago, and the new/old graffiti reappeared within weeks. The old graffiti on the other side said "give pies a chance", this is now "vote pies"

On 02/07/2021 at 20:25, Arthur Marshall said:

Being old and slightly decrepit I do feel a sense of telief when I see a vlockie, and certainly last year they were much more careful about offering help than previously. Haven't actually seen one this year yet.

But there was a jobsworth on the Harecastle a year or three ago who insisted that you weren't allowed through with a stove alight,  damped down or not, even in the middle of winter. One this year told me the same. CRT have confirmed that it's perfectly ok. You get the odd one who just like making his own rules.

They were probably retired BSS examiners... ??

Edited by cuthound
Spillung
  • Haha 1

Let’s not make something out of this that it isn’t. The majority of volunteers are good, honest and helpful people. On the odd occasion you get a grumpy, irritating, awkward, miserable know it all that wants to rule the world.

Hold your breath, count to ten, you have ten digits on your hands to make it easier, and have a laugh as you move on.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Let’s not make something out of this that it isn’t. The majority of volunteers are good, honest and helpful people. On the odd occasion you get a grumpy, irritating, awkward, miserable know it all that wants to rule the world.

Hold your breath, count to ten, you have tens digits on your hands to make it easier, and have a laugh as you move on.

As I said, the one on Framers Bridge flight was first class

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Let’s not make something out of this it isn’t. The majority of volunteers are good, honest and helpful people. On the odd occasion you get a grumpy, irritating, awkward, miserable know it all that wants to rule the world.

Hold your breath, count to ten, you have tens digits on your hands to make it easier, and have a laugh as you move on.

The problem is like any negative experience is that they tend to overshadow the positive ones. In the case of vlockies it also puts property and possibly lives at risk especially if the other party isn’t forceful or experienced enough. That’s been shown on here a few times over the time they have been in operation. 

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

As I said, the one on Framers Bridge flight was first class

We had an excellent volockie on Farmer's Bridge last time we came up there. Mrs-M went ahead to set the next lock, I worked the lock with the boat in and he closed up behind me. He was really interested in watching how I single handed the lock and asked plenty of questions about the methods I used so he understood what I was doing and why I was doing what I did.

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Who remembers the 'near death' experience that Alan Fincher had 'a year or two ago' (2015)

I don't remember that 'satisfaction' into the incident was ever achieved.

Hung up on the lock and volley wouldn't drop the paddles.

C&RT Flamingo Incident Report.pdf 365.17 kB · 6 downloads

I think Alan got off lightly, at least the volockie didn’t twat him with his windlass!

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Every incident has to be dealt individually. The boater is in charge.

Not according to clause 11.2 in CRT new 'T&C' where it states that boaters must follow the instructions of volunteers. Which in effect puts them in charge. Yet if anything goes wrong you see them for the dust.  

1 hour ago, nbfiresprite said:

Not according to clause 11.2 in CRT new 'T&C' where it states that boaters must follow the instructions of volunteers. Which in effect puts them in charge. Yet if anything goes wrong you see them for the dust.  

If I am the boater, and I’m not happy then I am in charge. 

• Greenie 1

Good to hear the good comments about Farmers' Bridge-P used to do these on a Monday when he was volleying(after litter picking the canals).As a boater,he always asked what help was needed & did as asked-apart from when some boaters didn't have a clue & he 'assisted' their thinking.Those folk who know the Brum litter pickers on Aquarius,Albert  passed to the great marina in the sky recently.He was mid 80s & a smashing bloke.RIP Albert.

• Greenie 2

30 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Good to hear the good comments about Farmers' Bridge-P used to do these on a Monday when he was volleying(after litter picking the canals).As a boater,he always asked what help was needed & did as asked-apart from when some boaters didn't have a clue & he 'assisted' their thinking.Those folk who know the Brum litter pickers on Aquarius,Albert  passed to the great marina in the sky recently.He was mid 80s & a smashing bloke.RIP Albert.

This guy is a boater, yes he asked. Diana suggested it was his lunch time, but he said he hadn't done a lock all day.

50 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Which of course is absolutely as it should be. Unfortunately they are not all like Paul and Albert.

• Greenie 1