More volockie hassle

nicknorman

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

There are two issues that deserve comment

(1) Not wearing a name badge

(2) Refusing to give a name

The Volunteers have a responsibility to the boaters who use the waterways and part of that responsibility is identification. Yet stating this it should be possible to trace the said person through the work allocation schedule, I would have thought.

I feel there is a third issue here: accosting a Licence Holder (or anyone else really) with a windlass. 

What if it had made contact with Nick’s head????? A possible charge of GBH or manslaughter, depending upon the outcome?

18 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

I feel there is a third issue here: accosting a Licence Holder (or anyone else really) with a windlass. 

What if it had made contact with Nick’s head????? A possible charge of GBH or manslaughter, depending upon the outcome?

It's Nick so.... and he has beaten me to it

6 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

It's Nick so.... and he has beaten me to it

Ok, so it’s Nick who (although we have never met face to face) I am sure can handle himself.

But what I’d it wasn’t Nick? I’m 5ft 2 inch 60 something woman with a tongue like a razor and a certain turn of phrase and I’ as likely as Nick to they’ll the lock-in to go forth and multiply.

Should I be prepared to run the gauntlet of a thwack with a windlass because mini Hitler wasn’t getting i all his own way?

And at 5.2 it would be more likely for that windlass to have contacted with my head and caused serious damage. 

4 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Ok, so it’s Nick who (although we have never met face to face) I am sure can handle himself.

But what I’d it wasn’t Nick? I’m 5ft 2 inch 60 something woman with a tongue like a razor and a certain turn of phrase and I’ as likely as Nick to they’ll the lock-in to go forth and multiply.

Should I be prepared to run the gauntlet of a thwack with a windlass because mini Hitler wasn’t getting i all his own way?

And at 5.2 it would be more likely for that windlass to have contacted with my head and caused serious damage. 

No of course not, I never said that or meant to imply it, I had already seen Nick's lighthearted reply and was just being silly.

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

No of course not, I never said that or meant to imply it, I had already seen Nick's lighthearted reply and was just being silly.

I apologise. 

It’s just that when the whole world has turned into a snowflake, potentially serious issues get overlooked 

• Greenie 1

Unfortunately there are stupid people we meet in life. We had two problems with lockkeepers one on the Thames who was not a volunteer and one on the Llangollen who was a volunteer.

The lockkeeper on the Thames deliberately tried to cause an accident he positioned our boat next to the side fill outlet despite our being the only boat in the lock, he did not tell us that it was a side fill lock and then he opened the sluices 100%, the boat was swept across the lock despite my wife and I having ropes on the bollards front and back, he judging by the expression on his face thought it was very funny. 

The volunteer on the Llangollen was just wasting water sending six boats up but not allowing boats down,

We did report the idiot on the Thames he also refused to give us his name but an enquiry at the next lock revealed that our experience was not uncommon, it was clearly passed on as at the next side fill lock the lockkeeper was  at pains to explain it was a side fill lock and how we should secure the boat, I explained to him if we went flying across this lock he would end up in it, 

After the most gentle fill I have ever experienced we left that lock thanking the lockie.

We now boat in Europe it is rare to find lockkeepers most of the locks are automatic except for some of the French canals but they seem to be very professional and helpful except when they are on strike.

Ken 

1 hour ago, Dyertribe said:

Accosting? As described what is alleged is assault by beating, and should be reported to the police.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dyertribe said:

Accosting? As described what is alleged is assault by beating, and should be reported to the police.

1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

as I can't afford boating at the moment I was considering volunteering but with all the bad press and attacks they get on here I've changed my mind.

I volunteer with CRT as part of the heritage working boats group. We take working boats to various events, education days and CRT organised publicity. The most recent being at Coventry taking Prince Charles on a short boat trip.

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I volunteer with CRT as part of the heritage working boats group. We take working boats to various events, education days and CRT organised publicity. The most recent being at Coventry taking Prince Charles on a short boat trip.

Did anyone aim a windlass at Prince Charles’ head?

Thought not. 

2 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

as I can't afford boating at the moment I was considering volunteering but with all the bad press and attacks they get on here I've changed my mind.

What bad press? On here only and only by a few. Take no notice of these Vloggy bashers, A few people on here do not represent the thousands of boaters out there on the canals. The majority of boaters appreciate what the Volunteers do, giving their time for free to help the boaters. Please don’t be put off and give it a go.

Edited by PD1964

9 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

What bad press? On here only and only by a few. Take no notice of these Vloggy bashers, A few people on here do not represent the thousands of boaters out there on the canals. The majority of boaters appreciate what the Volunteers do, giving their time for free to help the boaters. Please don’t be put off and give it a go.

I appreciate what volunteers do (for those who want/need it) I just wish they would let me get on with the highlight of my cruising i.e. working the locks, I love it and don't want anybody taking that enjoyment away from me (I am not even keen on the rest of the crew "helping").

I said to one volockie (thinking he would take the hint) "the only reason I come on the canals is to work the locks".   Rather than taking the hint he continued to take over my enjoyment doing as much as he could with a big smile saying "me too".

23 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

The majority of boaters appreciate what the Volunteers do,

Some Volockies are a danger, I had to report this one to C&RT.

River Trent 14/10/17

Departed Cromwell Lock heading upstream for Newark.

Called the Lock keeper at Nether Lock when 10 minutes out and asked to pen-up when convenient, received the reply “Lock is in your favour, gates are open, lights are green come straight in”

Entered the lock-cut and as the bow passed the gates, the gates started to close, - immediately stuck both engines into full reverse and just managed to back out as the gates closed to leave about a 3-foot gap  - we are a 14 foot beam GRP cruiser, we would have been totally crushed.

Called the Lock Keeper on the VHF: “Nether Lock, what the hell are you doing ?”

No reply but the gates opened and we entered.

As we finally got into the lock another boat called up “10 minutes out would like to lock up” the lockie replied he would hold the gates for them.

Normally the lockie would come and inspect our licence, ask for our destination, pass the time of day but this time (I presume he was so embarrassed) he just stayed in his hut until the other boat arrived, at which time (being ‘safe’ and having a witness should anything happen) he stuck his head over the edge of the lock and (sort of) apologised.

Asked him what had happened and he said: “I closed the gates because I thought you were already in the lock”  

Just a young lad - I think (hope) he has had a scare and will be more careful in future.

I’m all for volunteer lock keepers but they really should be taught the importance of looking out of the ‘hut window’ and awaiting the OK from the skipper before closing gates or raising paddles.

After an investigation it was found that C&RT had built a new 'hut' &  moved it further away from the lock side, and, even when on his "balcony" he could not see into the lock, I suggested that C&RT should install CCTV, or at least a mirror on the lock gates angled down into the lock, or insist that the lockie got confirmation either visually or via VHF that the boat was in the lock and secured before closing the gates.

In the end all I got (no apology) was a statement that C&RT would improve the training levels of the volunteers and, that they would investigate the overide pressure of the hydraulic rams, as they believe that they would lock-out before crushing a GRP boat.

I was not best pleased.

They would let me know their findings, but of course, it was just all whitewash and nothing was heard.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

I appreciate what volunteers do (for those who want/need it) I just wish they would let me get on with the highlight of my cruising i.e. working the locks, I love it and don't want anybody taking that enjoyment away from me (I am not even keen on the rest of the crew "helping").

I said to one volockie (thinking he would take the hint) "the only reason I come on the canals is to work the locks".   Rather than taking the hint he continued to take over my enjoyment doing as much as he could with a big smile saying "me too".

You obviously need to get out more or do longer days, as if your bothered that a lock keeper/volunteer does one lock for you, you obviously don’t do many in a day.

Just now, PD1964 said:

You obviously need to get out more or do longer days, as if your bothered that a lock keeper/volunteer does one lock for you, you obviously don’t do many in a day.

We cruise 8 hours a day and I work all the locks we pass.   My point is why should anybody take away my pleasure.  Plenty of people mutter and complain when CRT introduce anything which has the result of making changes to their cruising.   As a result I feel free to complain about Volockies who are supposed to ask if I want help and don't.  Then take away my pleasure.

40 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Did he steer, his old man gave it a go when he went on the Wherry, Albion

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

We cruise 8 hours a day and I work all the locks we pass.   My point is why should anybody take away my pleasure.  Plenty of people mutter and complain when CRT introduce anything which has the result of making changes to their cruising.   As a result I feel free to complain about Volockies who are supposed to ask if I want help and don't.  Then take away my pleasure.

So what do you do when you come to an official manned lock flight something like the Bingley 5 rise? Do you get off and tell them not to touch the locks as you want to do them all? No as you wouldn’t get through. 

29 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Apart from the infirm and people who have no idea what they are doing, I don’t really see the point of going boating on the canals if you “appreciate” other people doing most of the work. Why not just stay at home and watch one of those 8 hour videos of cruising eg the K&A in real time?

Im guessing you are a volockie and think you are god’s gift to boaters, well I have news for you, you ain’t!

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

Just now, PD1964 said:

So what do you do when you come to an official manned lock flight something like the Bingley 5 rise? Do you get off and tell them not to touch the locks as you want to do them all? No as you wouldn’t get through. 

I climbed up the lock and had a word with the lady lock keeper when I was coming up Bingley. It didn't do any good, she had me all over the place, bit of a pull on the paddle one side, then a bit on the other. If she had just done one or the other I would have sat against the side. She took me right to the top before she would let a following boat into the bottom chamber