Recomendations for decent walkie-talkies please

PCSB

Featured Posts

Looking for recomendations for a walkie talkie, 2 handsets (obviously - otherwise talking to myself ;) ) and ideally weather proof. Decent range too (few hundred metres perhaps). Strap or belt fitting would be useful.

TIA

Paul. 

Cobra AM1035 is what i’ve just upgraded ours to after the previous Binatone Terrain 750’s.

If you’re not in a desperate hurry stick them in your Amazon basket hit Save for Later and wait, prices fluctuate at random intervals, managed to get the Cobra’s for £52 by waiting a month or so instead of the more usual £80

• Greenie 1

Baofeng UV-5R

Not only will they do the 'walkie talkie' frequencies, but they can be programmed for the full VHF Marine channels (both TX & RX) not suggesting that you do it, as it is illegal, but its good to know.

Occasionally you will see them on Ebay for around £10 each, more usually £15-£20 but sometimes suppliers start a price war, I picked up some at £8 inc delivery.

Baofeng UV-5R Walkie Talkie UHF VHF Dual Band Two-Way Radio with Headsets UK | eBay

OR, you can get just the Baofeng Walki-Talkies at £18.49 for the pair.

2x BaoFeng BF-888S Walkie Talkie 16CH UHF 400-470MHZ Two Way FM Radio + Earpiece | eBay

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Idle Days said:

And possibly with rechargeable batteries? 

Thanks, yes makes sense, especially if they are AA or AAA as have lods of those and can always use "normal" ones in a pinch.

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Cobra AM1035 is what i’ve just upgraded ours to after the previous Binatone Terrain 750’s.

If you’re not in a desperate hurry stick them in your Amazon basket hit Save for Later and wait, prices fluctuate at random intervals, managed to get the Cobra’s for £52 by waiting a month or so instead of the more usual £80

Thank you, will check that out - not in a blinding rush so can stick them in my save for later.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Baofeng UV-5R

Not only will they do the 'walkie talkie' frequencies, but they can be programmed for the full VHF Marine channels (both TX & RX) not suggesting that you do it, as it is illegal, but its good to know.

Occasionally you will see them on Ebay for around £10 each, more usually £15-£20 but sometimes suppliers start a price war, I picked up some at £8 inc delivery.

Baofeng UV-5R Walkie Talkie UHF VHF Dual Band Two-Way Radio with Headsets UK | eBay

OR, you can get just the Baofeng Walki-Talkies at £18.49 for the pair.

2x BaoFeng BF-888S Walkie Talkie 16CH UHF 400-470MHZ Two Way FM Radio + Earpiece | eBay

Thanks Alan, will check them out too. 

Great help guys, much appreciated.

On 02/07/2021 at 11:04, Hudds Lad said:

That's what the Camels are there for. Been using them to check historic price movements, and to track future prices, for several years now and had many Amazon bargains as a result. Set your desired price and then wait for the notification email to arrive (hopefully).

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com

• Greenie 1

We bought a pair of rechargeable Cobra MT975 sets about 8 years ago and they've been excellent. They have a very good range and the battery life between charges has been brilliant. We rarely have to recharge them and unlike some which lose the charge when not used for a long time, these hold the charge from one year to the next.

They weren't cheap (around £90) but you get what you pay for.

They are the same as these 2nd hand ones currently on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/77141511?iid=133788111514

I don't think they are available new anymore

• Greenie 1

• 7 months later...
On 06/07/2021 at 10:50, Grassman said:

We bought a pair of rechargeable Cobra MT975 sets about 8 years ago and they've been excellent. They have a very good range and the battery life between charges has been brilliant. We rarely have to recharge them and unlike some which lose the charge when not used for a long time, these hold the charge from one year to the next.

They weren't cheap (around £90) but you get what you pay for.

They are the same as these 2nd hand ones currently on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/77141511?iid=133788111514

I don't think they are available new anymore

Had missed this, sorry. Quick update, ended up getting a pair of Motorola's T92's - they were on offer at the time, paid around £60 delivered and they have worked well so far. 

Thanks for all the suggestions, it gace me plenty to look at :)

• Greenie 1