Gate and Ground Paddles

Porcupine

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, 

I have just arrived on the Grand Union and the locks have gate and ground paddles. Previously I have only ever done gate paddles on the K&A. How would you recommend tackling them? What order should I do the paddles for a smooth transit? 

Thanks very much, 

Matt 

Generally ground paddles first as some gate paddles have the potential to send a large rush of water in to the lock which could flood the bows of your boat.

If you are aware and a regular traveler through the locks though it may be different.

Edited by Rob-M

Most of the gate paddles have baffles which become filled with rubbish and weeds so are pretty ineffective anyway. However  occasionally, they work properly, and a couple have no baffles, which can catch you out.

My way of going up with a single narrowboat in a GU lock is to loosely tether boat to one side not too close to cill.

Open ground paddle on that side, the flow should hold the boat against the wall. Cross gates and open opposite gate paddle..which also helps hold boat against wall, followed by ground paddle. The remaining gate paddle only gets used if theres a lot of water leaking from the bottom end.

• Greenie 2

What the other replies have said. If you ever have to fill an empty lock that is against you, try opening the gate paddles fully straight away and marvel at how violent it is. This is Swarkstone lock on the Trent and Mersey. Now imagine there is a boat well deck and maybe an open cabin door under that sheet of water. This is only the paddles on one of the gates opened.

swarkestone.JPG.e0f60584b3f8e4833c04fae340aa77ce.JPG

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

53 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Most of the gate paddles have baffles which become filled with rubbish and weeds so are pretty ineffective anyway. However  occasionally, they work properly, and a couple have no baffles, which can catch you out.

My way of going up with a single narrowboat in a GU lock is to loosely tether boat to one side not too close to cill.

Open ground paddle on that side, the flow should hold the boat against the wall. Cross gates and open opposite gate paddle..which also helps hold boat against wall, followed by ground paddle. The remaining gate paddle only gets used if theres a lot of water leaking from the bottom end.

Same here

Up Hatton or Stockton we normally only use the one paddle, you lose a few minutes a lock but you save a bit of work

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Exactly this ^^^

36 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Same here

Up Hatton or Stockton we normally only use the one paddle, you lose a few minutes a lock but you save a bit of work

Very different setup on the widened GU though, ground paddles with 3 outlets down the side of the lock.  But yes use the paddle on the boat side and it will hold you against the side.