Satellite TV problem

jenevers

Featured Posts

But to answer the original question: yes, it could be the cable. The signals involved are tiny, so it's essential that the cable is the right quality satellite cable (not just any old coax) and joints are very well made and kept to a minimum. Ensure its kept dry and well sealed where exposed and don't exceed the recommended "bend radius" of the cable where you go round corners.

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

and don't exceed the recommended "bend radius" of the cable where you go round corners.

<pedant>Surely you should exceed the recommended "bend radius" of the cable. Problems will occur if you don't exceed it.</pedant>

• Greenie 1

Umm - have you tried the signal at the receiver end of the cable?

Regardless of the above - how strong is the signal reading? What sor of meter do you use? 

I ask because I use HUmax kit and its usually very reliable and in a similar  vein I have a largish dish (because it's the only one I could find that I could store it inside the boat whe cruising. Over the years and with previous dishes I've found that only a 'big fat deflection of a meter ' lots of bars on an LED indicator really work .

A small blip often meaans I'm pointed at a different satellite group which is not for TV...

On 02/07/2021 at 09:22, john6767 said:

Try the sat finder on the cable at the TV end, that should let you see if it is a cable issue, and as said are you certain you at on the correct satellite.

That’s a good idea?

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

But to answer the original question: yes, it could be the cable. The signals involved are tiny, so it's essential that the cable is the right quality satellite cable (not just any old coax) and joints are very well made and kept to a minimum. Ensure its kept dry and well sealed where exposed and don't exceed the recommended "bend radius" of the cable where you go round corners.

Could be the recommended bend radius is the problem. I didn’t know there was one!

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

<pedant>Surely you should exceed the recommended "bend radius" of the cable. Problems will occur if you don't exceed it.</pedant>

Yeah, ok Jen, you may have a pedantic point! :rolleyes::D

Exceeding the minimum bend radius is the generally accepted term for bending it too much, but in effect you would be failing to stay above the minimum radius.

Anyway, don't do it or you'll squash the dielectric and bugger up your signal! :captain:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jenevers said:

That’s a good idea?

Could be the recommended bend radius is the problem. I didn’t know there was one!

Yep, and it's also a bit of an issue with fibre optics. Nice curves rather than corners and you'll usually be ok. Thing is, you can't always tell someone's done it if they don't leave it too tight.

That said, whilst the cable is crucial, I reckon you might be on that other bloomin' satellite - I've always find that one quite easily but struggled to find  the Astra one nearby.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Edited by Sea Dog
Right/tight and some other quote shenanigans!

IME - and I have quite a bit of 'E' , any form if TV cable (can't memember the type number) is very 'lossy' and the connectors even more so.

Accordingly I wired the boat with 'best' quality sat cable and more importantly the correct style of cable adaptors, using further adaptors if the end use is direct to a TV (if using a terrestrial channel in some areas). For example on the Oxford there are several nice moorings between you and the satellite, but the Oxford terrestrial transmitter is clear from the boat. I used aq Fringe electronics signal finder that works with both sets of signal and has loads of LEDS that light up as well as giving you a measure if the sttrength.

If you set up your cable with socket boxes at the 'far end' and short cable from the antenna to that (assuming you take them down when cruising) - then setting up can be rediced to a minute or less. Great if it's tissing down with rain....   

Since freeview upped the power and closed analogue tv ,I dismantled the freesat as simple omni antenna and amp lifier work well enough ,and simple to just raise pole ,and return if moving to new transmitter

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Straightened the cable where it goes through a Mushroom, result ……picture on the TV! yippee! ?

thanks to all for advice.

Just now, jenevers said:

Straightened the cable where it goes through a Mushroom, result ……picture on the TV! yippee! ?

You might find the problem will recurr as it is likely the central core has broken and has re connected when the strain has been taken off the cable. The true proper fix would be to replace it.

24 minutes ago, jenevers said:

You can actually get a special 'piece' for passing thru windows, down mushrooms etc, it is a short length of thin flat cable with a connector on each end. You can bend it thru 180 degrees and it still works

'ere U go.

Flat coax cable for window and doors. F-socket - F-socket.0.2 m: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

Flat coax cable for window and doors. F-socket - F-socket.0.2 m

Edited by Alan de Enfield

39 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You can actually get a special 'piece' for passing thru windows, down mushrooms etc, it is a short length of thin flat cable with a connector on each end. You can bend it thru 180 degrees and it still works

'ere U go.

Flat coax cable for window and doors. F-socket - F-socket.0.2 m: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

Bearing in mind you are introducing losses with the two connectors. Ideally a sat cable should only have two connections, one at the LNB and the other at the reciever.

That said on the lengths involved on a boat it is unlikely to cause a significant issue.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

As they on t'tele the inescpable truth is-

That you can't make a silk purrse out of a sow's ear.

If there's no signal there (because of range from a terrestrial signal) or not a clear view from a satellite, then you're doomed, doomed - I tell ye. No amount of gizmos / cable / w.h.y will improve that - ignore those who  who say you can...

Where you can win is by researching your signal area first, see what the BBC predictions are (try a post code near where you think you might moor). If they're poor  then use a dish - to that extent I use a satnav to show where you are / likely to be and see whether your target mooring is likely to have a good view of 21 degrees east (or whatever it is 'cs we haven't been longer distance cruising since the earliest lockdown.

It's called planning...

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

'ere U go.

?

Well I’ve learned a lot today. I didn’t know the cable was so crucial. Can someone give me an idea of where I can get a high quality cable and adapters. I’ll get a Fringe LED signal finder meter as per advice from OldGoat. deleyCON seems to be a decent brand, (gold plated plugs etc)

you never stop learning?

Edited by jenevers

10 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Well I’ve learned a lot today. I didn’t know the cable was so crucial. Can someone give me an idea of where I can get a high quality cable and adapters. I’ll get a Fringe LED signal finder meter as per advice from OldGoat.

you never stop learning?

Screwfix is as good a place as any. You need RG6 75 ohms screened co axial cable and 2 F connectors.

B&Q wil have it too along with the connectors, or indeed any good independent local DIY shop.

On 02/07/2021 at 08:22, john6767 said:

Try the sat finder on the cable at the TV end, that should let you see if it is a cable issue, and as said are you certain you at on the correct satellite.

I bought one of these finders because as soon as you connect it the first thing is shows with one of the leds is whether you have a good cable connection. My previous finder wasn't able to do that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00O0YA868/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_C2ZRKNH5EQQCTQGT13JN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

When I had a dish I set it up then glued a spirit level bubble (just the glass part) so that you can quickly adjust the up/down part  then a compass to find south then slowly turn dish till u hear the tv come alive .didnt have signal finder .

When I had a dish I set it up then glued a spirit level bubble (just the glass part) so that you can quickly adjust the up/down part  then a compass to find south then slowly turn dish till u hear the tv come alive .didnt have signal finder .

We have our sat. dish on a pole behind the wheelhouse, gets it a bit higher to get over wet bushes etc. Guess how many times I've had to straighten the whole contraption out just after the first bridge of the day........ (Its three actually to save you the bother)  Still works OK though

57 minutes ago, mickp said:

Works well, but better still Is to start facing east south east, then turn towards the south. That way Astra 2 is the first signal you get to, not the second. 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Screwfix is as good a place as any. You need RG6

@jenevers when it comes to coax, good old RG6 is cheap and is used everywhere and it was ok for terrestrial telly, but is not really up to the job for hd digital and satellite signals. You need a cable with a foam dielectric (it's better at stopping moisture than the plastic honeycomb type) and with copper as the main conductor, the wire mesh screen and the foil wrap. Look for WF100. Use a little silicone grease or vaseline to help keep damp out if  you make up your own F Type connectors, and be very careful that your screen and central conductor are kept separate - watch for those stray bits! YouTube will show you how to make up an F-Type effectively.