How rivery are these rivers?

Marbling

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Marbling said:

It would be a very bad idea for us to have the boat an hour or more from home as we'd never get there!

Thorne is a good place to be. I live in Hull also and keep my boat in Bluewater, although it is currently in Leicester. I'll be back onboard next weekend and on a 4 week leisurely trip back home. Hope you enjoy the life and relaxation from the very important and appreciated job you do.

4 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Thorne is a good place to be. I live in Hull also and keep my boat in Bluewater, although it is currently in Leicester. I'll be back onboard next weekend and on a 4 week leisurely trip back home. Hope you enjoy the life and relaxation from the very important and appreciated job you do.

See you next month then! Safe cruising!

• Happy 1

14 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Nowt wrong with Hull either

Had a couple of years in Hull marina. (Railway Dock) Good, Happy.

Town a bit run down but all the clean up for the City of Culture improved things, but it is still basically an old fishing port.

CAM00070.jpg

CAM00083.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Had a couple of years in Hull marina. (Railway Dock) Good, Happy.

Town a bit run down but all the clean up for the City of Culture improved things, but it is still basically an old fishing port.

CAM00070.jpg

CAM00083.jpg

The two swing bridges in your photos were built at Wigan, and were carried dismantled on the L&L Canal across the Pennines.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

We are based at the top of the Rochdale, going out east was our most common route. We had a 22 ft dawncraft with an old honda 10, very little power output, but with 3 batteries charged up before we set off, they would last for a couple of weeks. Is yours a more modern honda with a higher output?

We went up to York and Ripon, out of keadby onto the Trent round via Stoke and Macclesfield, Manchester and home. 

Fuel - Take a folding trolley or bike with a back rack, maybe a folder, the old shoppers are cheap as chips but there are several places adjacent for fuel. We had 2 15ltr  tanks so would always keep the spare full. You could carry a Jerry can but don't refuel on the boat, with proper fuel tanks you can swap on the move as it were, if you run out while travelling. We tended to use 5ltr a day. Cooper bridge, fall Ing Wakefield, Brighouse, all have fuel close to the canal, Castleford too. Now have a 35ft NB with a Honda 20 OB pushing it, 135w solar, 440ah batteries, running led lights, water pump, radio, dometic compressor coolbox, charging phones etc and have no issues. 

Our first ever trip, apart from a short go beforehand, was bringing a mates 17.5ft cruiser back from Casteford to Sowerby Bridge. Go for it, you'll be fine, keep an eye on potential heavy rain. The river bits stop at Brighouse.

Ps, when using a few batteries, connect them all in parallel, they last longer than connecting one at a time and using it up. You can always use the pull start on a Honda to start it. 

Edited by Jim Riley

Thanks Jim - encouraging to know that it’s doable with a bit of logistical forethought. We've already got two interchangeable 12L petrol tanks and a trolley (bought for the toilet cassette and gas cylinders), and we're getting the batteries sorted. I'd be pleasantly surprised to only get through 5L of fuel per day, we'll see!

23 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's the problem. When your year is up they send a lorry round to take all the culture to the next place.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1