Irish canal archive

Pluto

Featured Posts

I could waste hours on that!

Understandably it only covers WI waterways (I think), however I know Delany at least has a collection that covers the Boyne which is my particular focus at the moment, hopefully one day either WI or IWAI will cover the other waterways too

The Boyne is certainly a problem with regard to archive material, as I don't think I have found anything in the Office of Public Works records, which do cover almost all the other canals. There are some papers in the record office in Belfast, but I have never been to look at them. I have added a photo to remind you of the canal.

1999 Boyne 802.jpg

1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

Dukart's Canal is the one I had trouble wit.

Quite a bit has been published about Duckart's Canal, so you can trace down material. The problem generally is that the Office of Public Works records only begin in 1800, and there is not much earlier material. I have copied most of the maps in the National Archive in Dublin, though my copies are a bit variable in quality. However, they do show some of the proposed canals in the south which were not built. I haven't photographed the 'dry hurries', but this is one of the lock bridges on the Coalisland Canal.

Coalisland 7.jpg