Oil change gearbox newage prm 402D2

Featured Posts

Hi everyone. I'll be back on my boat soon and need to make on oil change on my gearbox.  I've bought the boat a few weeks ago and finished changing the filters and oil on the engine, but got stuck on the gearbox.

There is no dipstick and I don't even know how to drain the oil. If I pump it off and refill it, the level could be to high. So I would really prefer to drain it. How are you guys changing the oil on a prm gearbox??

Thanks for help and advice 

14 minutes ago, Paul canal said:

Hi everyone. I'll be back on my boat soon and need to make on oil change on my gearbox.  I've bought the boat a few weeks ago and finished changing the filters and oil on the engine, but got stuck on the gearbox.

There is no dipstick and I don't even know how to drain the oil. If I pump it off and refill it, the level could be to high. So I would really prefer to drain it. How are you guys changing the oil on a prm gearbox??

Thanks for help and advice 

the dipstick should be attached to a nut so is not visible until you undo the nut. @Tony Brooks will describe it a lot better then me

There should be a dipstick on the top of the gearbox. There is a brass bolt on the top and the dipstick is part of it. Under the box is a hex headed drain plug. It takes engine oil.  That's for the hydraulic gearboxes but the PRM 60,90 and I think 125 are different and I don't know about them.

That seems a huge gearbox for a canal boat - what boat and engine is it ?

The 402D was actually replaced by the 750D in 1997.

It is similar to the illustration shownof the 500, but it is not identical.

The recommended oil is 10w30 or 15w40

Oil capacity is 2.5 litres

I do have the Pdf of the manual for the 402 if you want it, let me know.

Part A9 is the dipstick.

Screenshot (432).png

Screenshot (434).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Hi folks. Thanks for your help. I took two pictures of the gearbox when I bought the boat.

On the one picture with the two red arrows these are the Nuts where I think one of them is for draining the oil. But I don't know which one it is.

On the other picture with the red and blue arrows I took the nut (red arrow) off but there is no dipstick.

Could it be the other nut (blue arrow)??

The drawing in the manual is not very clear. At least not for me???

20210701_134644.jpg

Next picture 

20210701_134603.jpg

Take the square headed cap off and look underneath it. If there is  a hole there the dip stick has fallen out.

I think that you need to phone PRM. Not many inland boats would use a box that size.

It is even possible, depending upon how far up the side of the box it is, that the hexagon on the side is a filler/level plug, but it is far from sure so contact PRM.

41 minutes ago, Paul canal said:

That was my first thought, but no it's not?

36 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that you need to phone PRM. Not many inland boats would use a box that size.

I had the 500s on my cruiser attached to straight 6, 6.2 litre engines, but the 402 is even bigger and weighs (from memory) 75kg dry.

Op - my offer still stands.

The knurled silver knob doesnt look like an original part, that is where the breather is usually located. The dipstick should be attached to the square headed plug as shown in photograph 1, it is part of the plug and can only be found when the plug is removed, the drain plug is not visible on either of your photographs it is in the centre underneath nearest the flywheel. The plug shown with the blue arrow is on the hydraulic pressure circuit and is normally used with a trolling valve. The large Hex plug on the side in pic 2 may have a  filter behind it on the suction pipe inlet, dont know when they started to fit them but my 750 has one