Rattle noise from Barrus Shire

LeighC

Featured Posts

Sorry for late intervention, and something that I'm surprised Blackrose hasnt mentioned. You say it's worse when you swing the tiller.

How wide is your widebeam, and are there any cross beams welded across your uxter plate? (The two large flat areas that are either side of the top of the engine). Some of the wider widebeams need support across these areas to make them rigid, a single steel angle welded across the centre of this plate can suffice in most cases. 

The inflow of water underneath these causes a wallowing resonance which could be making other items aroun rattle, orbindeed, this may be the noise you are hearing.

Edited by matty40s

22 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not sure what the white plastic looking disc and the black disc on the prop shaft is for. The coupling is not one that readily allows for engine misalignment and vibration movement.

My advice about feeling the gland will not apply to yours because it is mounted on flexible hose. If the shaft bearings are Cutless rubber ones, that will minimise the effect of engine vibration.

Definitely try the deck board thing. If you have any old carpet, lay that over the deck board area and put the boards back onto that. It should prove if it's the deck boards vibrating on the suports.

Ok,  many thanks for the advise.  I have placed some rubber seal and thinking of getting some sound proof for the board and side of walls in engine bay.  This may help reduce noise a bit.  

regards 

leigh 

19 hours ago, matty40s said:

Sorry for late intervention, and something that I'm surprised Blackrose hasnt mentioned. You say it's worse when you swing the tiller.

How wide is your widebeam, and are there any cross beams welded across your uxter plate? (The two large flat areas that are either side of the top of the engine). Some of the wider widebeams need support across these areas to make them rigid, a single steel angle welded across the centre of this plate can suffice in most cases. 

The inflow of water underneath these causes a wallowing resonance which could be making other items aroun rattle, orbindeed, this may be the noise you are hearing.

Hey Matty,

thanks for some reassuring advise.  I will take a picture and show you. Now I can upload.  
we are 12ft wide and from what you described we do have plates built up of the boat floor and then the engine is mounted on here. 

ill take a picture when I can get some help lifting the board up again.  

regards

Leigh

17 hours ago, Tacet said:

Check the propeller for something tangled round.  It's cheap and easy.

Done this first.  Nothing wrapped, though we did have a plastic box which was under the boat and  the prop chopped up ?

2 hours ago, LeighC said:

Hey Matty,

thanks for some reassuring advise.  I will take a picture and show you. Now I can upload.  
we are 12ft wide and from what you described we do have plates built up of the boat floor and then the engine is mounted on here. 

It's not the engine bay, the uxter plates are the two areas either side of the engine hole where you probably have a calorifier and maybe battery banks.

One more suggestion, from my own experience. Do you have an ‘anti-cavitation’ plate attached to the underside of the weed-hatch lid, which fills the hole level with the hull? Ours was a close enough fit that prop turbulence could cause it to vibrate against the inside of the weed-hatch. I pushed some pvc edge strip onto the edges of the plate which made it a push fit (after dropping into place at an angle) which cured the vibration. 

18 hours ago, Thames Bhaji said:

One more suggestion, from my own experience. Do you have an ‘anti-cavitation’ plate attached to the underside of the weed-hatch lid, which fills the hole level with the hull? Ours was a close enough fit that prop turbulence could cause it to vibrate against the inside of the weed-hatch. I pushed some pvc edge strip onto the edges of the plate which made it a push fit (after dropping into place at an angle) which cured the vibration. 

Hey, do you mean that metal plate thing with the handle on I pull up when I remove the weed hatch lid? 
if so there seems there was rubber sealant on the lid under neath so I’ll put more of that on and see if it helps? 

Regards 

leigh 

35 minutes ago, LeighC said:

Hey, do you mean that metal plate thing with the handle on I pull up when I remove the weed hatch lid? 

Not quite - it’s the thing discussed here (which you may or may not actually have). Someone on this thread also mentions it chattering in the weed hatch. 

44 minutes ago, Thames Bhaji said:

Not quite - it’s the thing discussed here (which you may or may not actually have). Someone on this thread also mentions it chattering in the weed hatch. 

We had that on a GT hull, they connected top and bottom plated with a piece of steel tube, a second piece changed the resonance or just stiffened it up and stopped it. It took me a long time to find it only being on the boat for 4 weeks a year. It actually started to wear a grove in the bottom of the weed hatch shoot.

On 02/07/2021 at 12:16, matty40s said:

That wouldn't be a problem on flat water. The only time I ever heard any resonance from the uxter plates was on tidal waters or once on the Severn when the wind was whipping up foot high waves. It's waves moving underneath the big uxter plates that causes this effect so wouldn't be an issue on canals or calm rivers. 

Hi All,

so, after moving we’ve resolved the sound.  It turns out it was the weed hatch plate banging against the weed hatch lid. 

thanks so much for all the advise and help it was much appreciated. 

Leigh 

29 minutes ago, LeighC said:

Hi All,

so, after moving we’ve resolved the sound.  It turns out it was the weed hatch plate banging against the weed hatch lid. 

thanks so much for all the advise and help it was much appreciated. 

Leigh 

How many years has it taken ?

🤣

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

I’m glad you found the problem 

I was going to suggest the stays that hold the covers up when you open them  .

we was on a abc boat two  weeks ago and the stays where rattling like mad  

Graham

So far all seems good with it 👌🏻👌🏻