Rattle noise from Barrus Shire

LeighC

Featured Posts

Hi All, 

we noticed a rattling noise especially on the Thames.  We have a wide beam with 50hp Barrus shire engine. 
It comes and go’s but more when I turn the tiller. 
it’s driving us mad as it’s loud with revs on not pleasant to cruise with such a loud noise.

we lifted the engine board and can’t hear it, our board back on and we hear it. 

Check all the bolts associated with the engine mounts, but on the four large ones leave the top nut alone and tighten the bottom ones upwards. Then use a listening stick to further isolate the noise. It could be a rattling tiller, so what type of top bearing does it have and how old.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for reaching out. 

the bolts all seem tight, probably a bit to tight as I notice thread has come off one of the screws at top. 

it’s a 4 year old ABC build.  I’m out with dog at moment so will post some pics when back. 

regards 

Leigh 

An Enigneer did tighten the top screws last year when we noticed it, it’s so frustrating. 

15 minutes ago, LeighC said:

Hi Tony,

Thanks for reaching out. 

the bolts all seem tight, probably a bit to tight as I notice thread has come off one of the screws at top. 

it’s a 4 year old ABC build.  I’m out with dog at moment so will post some pics when back. 

regards 

Leigh 

An Enigneer did tighten the top screws last year when we noticed it, it’s so frustrating. 

That may be a red herring, but what do you mean by "notice thread has come off one of the screws at top." There are normally no screws on engine mounts, apart from possibly hexagon machine screws holding the foot to the engine bed. Many would call those bolts. Do you mean that the threads at the top of one of the studs with large nuts on it has been  stripped so it's nearly flat?

Unless you tighten until the tread strips you can't have an over tight nut in this context and once it has stripped it's probably loose.

If one of the engine mounting nuts had come loose, the engineer's action has almost certainly put your engine and shaft out of alignment unless you have an Aquadrive/Pythondrive coupling so a photo of the shaft coupling to confirm. An out of alignment engine can cause vibrations via the shaft and stern gland.

Hopefully the 'thread that has come off the top' is a bit of plastic from the nyloc nut. It must have been an awfully big engineer if he's stripped the metal thread.

4 minutes ago, Bee said:

Hopefully the 'thread that has come off the top' is a bit of plastic from the nyloc nut. It must have been an awfully big engineer if he's stripped the metal thread.

I do hope so, but that still leaves the effect of tightening the top nut down.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, LeighC said:

Silly question. Is it a deck board itself that is doing the rattling? Can you change, or remove the noise depending on where you stand, or by moving something stood on the board? Is something in the engine hole touching and rattling on the board? A bit of rubber between the board and metal support can stop the noise if it is the board rattling.

Jen

1 hour ago, LeighC said:

Had you considered that it may be the engine boards 'rattling' / vibrating ?

Edit Ooops - should read to the end of the thread before posting

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Silly question. Is it a deck board itself that is doing the rattling? Can you change, or remove the noise depending on where you stand, or by moving something stood on the board? Is something in the engine hole touching and rattling on the board? A bit of rubber between the board and metal support can stop the noise if it is the board rattling.

Jen

If it's just the boards then maybe strips of self-adhesive neoprene around the perimeter of the boards where they sit on the steel gutters? 

This is a long shot, but is it the weed hatch cover rattling? We recently hired a boat, and in feedback, several previous hirers had commented that the engine rattled a lot at higher revs. We experienced the same rattling, but after investigation, established that the noise was from further back, so took a look at the weedhatch. It was clearly missing one of it's gaskets, which were simply pieces of plastic pipe slit down the middle and pushed onto the weedhatch cover edges . Needless to say the "repair" was quickly effected using 150cm of the boat's hose pipe, slit with the bread knife!  Pushed onto the "bare" edge of the cover, the problem was solved.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Bee said:

It’s is the thread that has come off the top- it’s a bit of plastic- metal thread not stripped.

9 minutes ago, LeighC said:

It’s is the thread that has come off the top- it’s a bit of plastic- metal thread not stripped.

Just repeating "the thread has come off the top" is not really helping.

Is it the plastic ring off the top of a Nyloc nut ?

Correct terminology or description would really help, but posting a picture would make it so much easier.

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just repeating "the thread has come off the top" is not really helping.

Is it the plastic ring off the top of a Nyloc nut ?

Correct terminology or description would really help, but posting a picture would make it so much easier.

There is no need to try and intimidate the OP by demanding technically correct terminology. It seems perfectly clear to me from the OP's description that the bolt is secured with a Nyloc nut, and that  some of the nylon ring in the top of the nut has stripped out, possible because of loosening, followed by excessive tightening, in which case, a new Nyloc nut should resolve the issue.

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

There is no need to try and intimidate the OP by demanding technically correct terminology. It seems perfectly clear to me from the OP's description that the bolt is secured with a Nyloc nut, and that  some of the nylon ring in the top of the nut has stripped out, possible because of loosening, followed by excessive tightening, in which case, a new Nyloc nut should resolve the issue.

I agree with that, now the OP has said its a plastic "thread". As far as I am concerned, it's no cause to worry or do much about it. However, that tightening down the top nut does have potential/possible problems attached.

I would suggest that when the OP goes for a run after about an hour or so they feel the stern gland. Off cold/slightly warm is OK, Ouch and pull your hand away is not and needs attention. Also try turning the shaft by hand. If you can then you can then probably forget about the tightening down.

20 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I can’t upload the picture to show you all. File to big it says. 

1 hour ago, LeighC said:

I can’t upload the picture to show you all. File to big it says. 

If you upload it here :

Postimages — free image hosting / image upload

That site will host the picture and you can copy and paste from there to here.

Once it is uploaded onto the postimages site, click on the little blue box on the RH side of the second line (called "direct link")

This copies it, then simply come back here and write your message and right click 'paste' and it will be automatically inserted into your post.

Screenshot (437)_LI.jpg

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

If you upload it here :

Once it is uploaded onto the postimages site, click on the little blue box on the RH side of the second line (called "direct link")

This copies it, then simply come back here and write your message and right click 'paste' and it will be automatically inserted into your post.

Screenshot (437)_LI.jpg

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you upload it here :

Screenshot (437)_LI.jpg

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Hi All, 

thank for teaching me a new way to upload pics.  My dyslexia kicked in yesterday and frustration not being able to share.

I hope the pics make sense as I am disabled and found it hard to get in and out of engine bay. 

thanks all. 
regards 

Leigh 

22 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

I think we will try this as well ??

22 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

This is a long shot, but is it the weed hatch cover rattling? We recently hired a boat, and in feedback, several previous hirers had commented that the engine rattled a lot at higher revs. We experienced the same rattling, but after investigation, established that the noise was from further back, so took a look at the weedhatch. It was clearly missing one of it's gaskets, which were simply pieces of plastic pipe slit down the middle and pushed onto the weedhatch cover edges . Needless to say the "repair" was quickly effected using 150cm of the boat's hose pipe, slit with the bread knife!  Pushed onto the "bare" edge of the cover, the problem was solved.

Thought this also, tightened so let’s see on next move. ??

23 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Hi Jen,

not sure, will definitely try the rubber seal under the board. ??

Worry not - as others have suggested, the 'ring' is just the top of the nylon stripped out, just get a new Nyloc nut.

The rattle is unlikely to be caused by that.

Edit to add : a very nice clean engine bay - a credit to you.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Not sure what the white plastic looking disc and the black disc on the prop shaft is for. The coupling is not one that readily allows for engine misalignment and vibration movement.

My advice about feeling the gland will not apply to yours because it is mounted on flexible hose. If the shaft bearings are Cutless rubber ones, that will minimise the effect of engine vibration.

Definitely try the deck board thing. If you have any old carpet, lay that over the deck board area and put the boards back onto that. It should prove if it's the deck boards vibrating on the suports.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Worry not - as others have suggested, the 'ring' is just the top of the nylon stripped out, just get a new Nyloc nut.

The rattle is unlikely to be caused by that.

Edit to add : a very nice clean engine bay - a credit to you.

Thanks Alan,  I do try to Keep it clean.