Gearbox Identification

Featured Posts

Long time forum lurker here, first question I've posted.

Hoping someone can impart some knowledge my way and ID this gearbox? Even better, a link to the manual.

I'm told its a Thamesway however I cant seem to find a match anywhere online.

There is an unreadable serial number embossed on the side, no ID plate anywhere. 

Its attached to a Perkins 4.108 if it helps.

Thank you, Joe

IMG_20210630_115450.png

IMG-20210630-WA0022.jpg

Very similar to a BMC A or B type I think. It may have similarities with a Parsons. What is wrong and I may be able to advise, but I have never seen one remote from the engine though. @RLWP is probably the chap if you want work done on it.

Known as DCA or DCB.

Please note that the Ebay sale that says it's a BMC B Type is NOT a B type, it's a DCC and those are even rarer than B types.

No link to a manual I am afraid.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Thanks Tony. Doesn't need any work doing, just trying to ID so I can get a manual for her and keep it that way. Prevention better than the cure and all that.

Parsons is along the right lines i'd say, images are looking similar. 

6 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Thanks Tony. Doesn't need any work doing, just trying to ID so I can get a manual for her and keep it that way. Prevention better than the cure and all that.

Parsons is along the right lines i'd say, images are looking similar. 

The fact it is a remote one and not bolted directly to the back of the engine leads me towards Parsons as well.

Fo the BMC version EP 80 gear oil I think in the reduction box but can't remember what goes into the gearbox. It may be the same.

On 30/06/2021 at 12:52, Tony Brooks said:

The fact it is a remote one and not bolted directly to the back of the engine leads me towards Parsons as well.

Fo the BMC version EP 80 gear oil I think in the reduction box but can't remember what goes into the gearbox. It may be the same.

Just for interest, seems it may well be a Paragon Box, perhaps once from a Morris car. 

The model still eludes me but I'm getting closer :)

Screenshot_20210702-075948.png

A  car would not have a single forwards and single reverse speed gearbox.

The reduction box on the image you post is very different to yours, yours looks much more like the ones used with the BMC DCB gearbox, as does the conical  body part. If it were not for the fact your box is remote from the engine, I would say it is a BMC DCB or DCA box, It simply that I have never seen one like that and apparently no other members have.

It may have been fitted to a pre BMC Morris marine engine.

You may find a manual at the back of the engine manual  for an Austin/BMC Navigator, Austin/Morris/BMC Vedette, BMC Captain, or BMC Commander  marine engines. It will NOT be in a BMC 1.5, 2.2, 2.5 diesel engine manuals.

There you go, RLWP has replied.

Edited by Tony Brooks

The only book I have found that has that gearbox in it is rather odd. We've got quite a number of Lister/Petter manuals and handbooks from Peter at Uxbridge, many of which are of curiosity value rather than being practical.

In them, from a series produced (probably) under Hawker-Siddeley are a handful of Armstrong Siddeley books for a two cylinder engine, which we had been ignoring

On closer examination, the engine in the books isn't an A~S, it's a Petter PH2/PH2W and it has a parts list for that gearbox. Even more remarkable as I haven't been able to find a Petter book with it in

We've got a few left

Richard

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

A  car would not have a single forwards and single reverse speed gearbox.

The reduction box on the image you post is very different to yours, yours looks much more like the ones used with the BMC DCB gearbox, as does the conical  body part. If it were not for the fact your box is remote from the engine, I would say it is a BMC DCB or DCA box, It simply that I have never seen one like that and apparently no other members have.

It may have been fitted to a pre BMC Morris marine engine.

You may find a manual at the back of the engine manual  for an Austin/BMC Navigator, Austin/Morris/BMC Vedette, BMC Captain, or BMC Commander  marine engines. It will NOT be in a BMC 1.5, 2.2, 2.5 diesel engine manuals.

There you go, RLWP has replied.

Most definitely a red herring Tony. As I've said there's nothing wrong with it, and the adjustments for the gearbox are relatively easy to fathom.

As for the appearance, totally agree that the reduction box looks different however the body is almost identical. 

Hopefully ive understood RLWP properly and he has a manual. Thank you for your help :)

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

The only book I have found that has that gearbox in it is rather odd. We've got quite a number of Lister/Petter manuals and handbooks from Peter at Uxbridge, many of which are of curiosity value rather than being practical.

In them, from a series produced (probably) under Hawker-Siddeley are a handful of Armstrong Siddeley books for a two cylinder engine, which we had been ignoring

On closer examination, the engine in the books isn't an A~S, it's a Petter PH2/PH2W and it has a parts list for that gearbox. Even more remarkable as I haven't been able to find a Petter book with it in

We've got a few left

Richard

Hello Richard. Even if it is more of a curious than practical nature i'd still like to get my hands on one of those books, so long as it somewhat helps me to understand what we have moving our home about!

How would I go about getting one from you? I'm on the Calder & Hebble.

Cheers, Joe

8 minutes ago, JoeF said:

A  car would not have a single forwards and single reverse speed gearbox

It didn't end well for the last person to confuse morris cars and morris marine either...

IMG_20210702_110153.png

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

Hello Richard. Even if it is more of a curious than practical nature i'd still like to get my hands on one of those books, so long as it somewhat helps me to understand what we have moving our home about!

How would I go about getting one from you? I'm on the Calder & Hebble.

Cheers, Joe

Give Sue a ring on 01926 356200. I'll let her know what it is you are looking for

Richard

Something to be aware of if the box is new to you.

The reverse gear brake band is adjusted by the two square head adjusters and "funny" lock nuts. If you imagine a line running between these two adjusters and under the box, I am fairly sure you will find another bolt and locknut under the box. Do not touch this, it is not a drain plug. It supports and locates the  brake band and if the band  falls off it the box stands a good chance of locking up. I think that you will find the drain plug much further forward at the lower end of the conical box case.

A more likely cause of  lock up is when one of the long bolts holding the ahead clutch pack/drum together snaps and starts to come out. It tends to jamb inside the box. I am afraid that in your case you would have to split the box just behind the forward support plate where the box front plate is bolted to the case. I think those bolts are about 6" long and about 5/16" in diameter (don't hold me to that). They may also be high tensile.