ASDA mobile messing about?

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

I have been happy with ASDA mobile pay as you go for years. Now they want me to use a new sim because they are changing provider.

Despite their email saying it has been delivered, I still have not got it.

Trying to phone them is a joke, they are experiencing technical problems!

Should I give up and change over to another company, if so which is best?

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Depends on how much data you need if you run your internet through it, and whether you think you might go abroad(EE are continuing roaming free). 

Strictly phone calls and texts in UK only.

You could go with Smarty = 4GB Data + Unlimited calls & Txts for £6pm (uses 3 network)

or GiffGaff = 500Mb Data + Unlimited calls & Txts for £6pm (uses O2 network)

Those are the cheapest from those two, both have increasingly expensive deals where more data is offered.

Also if someone gives you their link to sign up you both get a fiver or something, so if interested ask and i'm sure someone will share ;) 

32 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

But I don't need any data, just phone/text. Why is everyone intent on selling me data that I don't need? What happened to having no "account" and just topping up a phone?

I think it's like trying to get a landline without taking a broadband package, eg: near impossible.

That's why i chose the lowest possible data SIMs above as i figured you didn't want to use it.

I think your only other alternative would be something like 1pmobile where you only pay for what you use and everything is 1p (1p a minute, 1p a text, 1p per Mb)

40 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

But I don't need any data, just phone/text. Why is everyone intent on selling me data that I don't need? What happened to having no "account" and just topping up a phone?

There is little if any profit in providing such a service. 

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

You could go with Smarty = 4GB Data + Unlimited calls & Txts for £6pm (uses 3 network)

or GiffGaff = 500Mb Data + Unlimited calls & Txts for £6pm (uses O2 network)

Those are the cheapest from those two, both have increasingly expensive deals where more data is offered.

Also if someone gives you their link to sign up you both get a fiver or something, so if interested ask and i'm sure someone will share ;) 

Plusnet are also £6pm (using 3 network) for unlimited calls/texts and 4GB data on a 1 month rolling contract. I use them and have no complaints.

• Greenie 1

I fell out with Three sometime ago concerning Data and the prices. Changed data supply to EE, wife has her own EE supplied phone.

So, wife has owned phone with unlimited everything, plus we have unlimited data on owned dongle.

I have Three supplying unlimited calls and texts with, I think, 12g of data for eight english pounds per month. I did ask for minimum data on my phone but this was the cheapest tariff available.

We don’t pay for either phone or dangling dongle. (Hangs in the window.)

Edited by Nightwatch

45 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I think it's like trying to get a landline without taking a broadband package, eg: near impossible.

That's why i chose the lowest possible data SIMs above as i figured you didn't want to use it.

I think your only other alternative would be something like 1pmobile where you only pay for what you use and everything is 1p (1p a minute, 1p a text, 1p per Mb)

Following may be useful:

I have a spare phone with a 1p mobile sim in it (I can only get a reliable signal with Vodafone where I live), despite there being a requirement to top up with £10 occasionally (every 120 days ISTR) + getting reminders, I haven't topped up for more than 12 months and still have active credit. 

Maybe it's a legal requirement not to actually disconnect?

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

One of Smarty's deals gives you a refund each month for unused data, so calls and texts cost £5/month.

Some payg deals require a regular top up. I think 1p mobile is one of them, it's a while since I looked but I think it was £10 every three months. 

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, IanD said:

Plusnet are also £6pm (using 3 network) for unlimited calls/texts and 4GB data on a 1 month rolling contract. I use them and have no complaints.

I'm with Plusnet and AFAIK they use EE, not 3 network.   If they used 3 network my phone wouldn't work, as I've only got a 2G phone (ie a dumbphone)

But coming back to the OP, Mrs Mac is with ASDA PAYG, and their change from EE to Vodafone means she no longer gets a signal anywhere near the house.  this means we have had to make alternative arrangements for things like online banking codes etc.  They offer no explanation for the change, which will cause disruption to a lot of customers.

12 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I'm with Plusnet and AFAIK they use EE, not 3 network.   If they used 3 network my phone wouldn't work, as I've only got a 2G phone (ie a dumbphone)

But coming back to the OP, Mrs Mac is with ASDA PAYG, and their change from EE to Vodafone means she no longer gets a signal anywhere near the house.  this means we have had to make alternative arrangements for things like online banking codes etc.  They offer no explanation for the change, which will cause disruption to a lot of customers.

My mistake, EE it is for Plusnet-- so that would work for switching from ASDA ?

22 hours ago, alias said:

On 30/06/2021 at 15:41, nb Innisfree said:

Following may be useful:

I have a spare phone with a 1p mobile sim in it (I can only get a reliable signal with Vodafone where I live), despite there being a requirement to top up with £10 occasionally (every 120 days ISTR) + getting reminders, I haven't topped up for more than 12 months and still have active credit. 

Maybe it's a legal requirement not to actually disconnect?

Some payg deals require a regular top up. I think 1p mobile is one of them, it's a while since I looked but I think it was £10 every three months. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

On 30/06/2021 at 12:24, matty40s said:

(EE are continuing roaming free). 

I hate to correct you old bean but EE actually have been the first to announce that actualy they are doing nothing of the sort. They are actually discontinuing free roaming for new customers and upgrades from next year.

O2 have followed it seems.

Edited by The Happy Nomad