Big Changes In Milton Keynes

Parahandy

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

If a boat hasn't moved for a " years" its under enforcement action and there's nothing you can do about it until the court process has reached a conclusion. The whole CRT system is patrolled every ten days by licence and mooring checkers, there are no forgotten about boats mooring for year's in one spot.

But there are some permanently moored boats on the system. No names, I'm not one for whistle blowing, live and let live.

I know of one who is such a nightmare to C&RT that they leave them alone rather than start a war. Moored since 1995 in the same spot! 

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Seeing as how, for everyone except CCers, staying anywhere more than overnight is a concession, I'd wind your neck in if I were you!

Re second point, the vessel isn't abandoned, just unidentified. How do you identify an unidentifiable boat to section 8 it?

It doesn't have to identified, Mr angry. 

If it is unlicenced it can be seized and removed after due process. If you used common sense you would obviously see that there are not hundreds of craft dating back decades littering the waterways that CRT cannot touch because they are " unidentified". 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

They certainly are if they don't move much.

A lot of CCers (real ones, that is, who go places) rent out their houses so they've got somewhere to live when they've had enough of boating. I guess anyone who can afford a 180k widebeam would do the same as I imagine house price inflation, especially darn sarf, exceeds that of the boat.

Seriously Arthur , how far do you expect a Family living on a Boat to move ? Even CRT quote a minimum of 20 or so mile in a Calendar Year . This idea of Continuous Cruising that some on here have is completely defunct and thank God it is .

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes, except that these days what you can get is in greater demand so effectively there's less of it.

Never a truer word said .

People could take another view of boats that rarely move far and everytime they see one give thanks that they are keeping the waterway clear for those that want to get places, if the moaners got their way they would be facing more queues for locks, stopping at bridge holes for oncoming boats and a much busier waterway which they would then moan about as well.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

People could take another view of boats that rarely move far and everytime they see one give thanks that they are keeping the waterway clear for those that want to get places, if the moaners got their way they would be facing more queues for locks, stopping at bridge holes for oncoming boats and a much busier waterway which they would then moan about as well.

Wasting your time in here, the majority share the same brain cell fella. ?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CompairHolman said:

this is true, but equally true is that the people who don’t want to move their boats should perhaps instead consider a caravan. That way the people who do actually want to cruise the system wouldn’t have to spend 50% of their time at tickover on some canals, and in fear of being shouted at by the residents who resent seeing boats moving and resent even more if their own badly tied up boat bobs about ever so slightly.

But I think the earlier point of equitable sharing is the relevant one. Near our Marina there are probably 10 CCing boats that one sees all the time, they never move from the environs of Tamworth. And to be honest I don’t care, they are not doing any harm. Tonight we are moored at Star City (offside pontoon moorings) and towpath side there are 5 boats all in a little community. I asked the chap how long they’d been there and he said “about a year”. Good for you, I said, great to see some boats “taming” the wilds of Birmingham. They are certainly not inconveniencing anyone.

But the problem arises when you multiply that by “a lot” and put them in a desirable area where housing costs are high (eg MK into London) and then you have congestion, nowhere for cruising boats to moor etc etc. Hence the need for mooring restrictions, so that everyone gets a chance to moor, not just those who set their towels out on the sun loungers 10 years ago.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

Truth be known, some of you make it soooooo easy, playing the same old records constantly. 

Exactly what I said about Compair's post. Same old same old that the continuous moorers and overstayers have been trotting out for years. It's a shame they don't ever learn the world has moved on.

13 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Exactly what I said about Compair's post. Same old same old that the continuous moorers and overstayers have been trotting out for years. It's a shame they don't ever learn the world has moved on.

You should try to get out of that comfy chair a bit more often fella, the world has indeedy moved on, but there are a number of you in here that are stuck on the turntable going round and round, hoping there is still someone who will listen to old stuff.

Not happening fella, but it can be entertaining none the less I suppose. Passes the time of day eh?

• Unimpressed 1

16 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

You should try to get out of that comfy chair a bit more often fella, the world has indeedy moved on, but there are a number of you in here that are stuck on the turntable going round and round, hoping there is still someone who will listen to old stuff.

Not happening fella, but it can be entertaining none the less I suppose. Passes the time of day eh?

Is saying "fella" a lot seen as cool in this moved-on world? Just wondering if I need to update my lingo.

• Haha 2

According two CRT a third of CC’ers (2000) currently cruise in a range of less than 20 miles, this includes those with permission to do so. 

the changes to Milton Keynes moorings to 48 hrs ( 4 areas I think) are I understand to encourage more boat movement and therefore mooring availability. It’s a trial and boaters are recommended to email what they think. One of the potential issues is that these changes may cause congestion outside these areas for those seeking to moor for 14 days.

7 hours ago, Tuscan said:

According two CRT a third of CC’ers (2000) currently cruise in a range of less than 20 miles, this includes those with permission to do so. 

the changes to Milton Keynes moorings to 48 hrs ( 4 areas I think) are I understand to encourage more boat movement and therefore mooring availability. It’s a trial and boaters are recommended to email what they think. One of the potential issues is that these changes may cause congestion outside these areas for those seeking to moor for 14 days.

Isn't the usual result just to shift your boat the the far side of the marked moorings? It's years since I've been to MK, so a reminder of what sort of actual length or number of boat spaces these mooring restrictions cover would help. Surely there will still be enough unmarked space for the 14 dayers? Presumably just a bit less convenient. But then, they can go and park for a day to do their shopping should they remember how to move their boat...

58 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Or squat on one of the ever  increasingly fewer banksides where the owners do not charge.

Maybe on the Thames but few and far between out here.  The winter floods make it more difficult, remember it's a sometimes navigable flood control system ?

14 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Thank you for one of your (mercifully rare) insights, yet again based on lazy stereotyping. 

The other half of a pair of socks i suspect. 

20 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Seriously Arthur , how far do you expect a Family living on a Boat to move ? Even CRT quote a minimum of 20 or so mile in a Calendar Year . This idea of Continuous Cruising that some on here have is completely defunct and thank God it is .

20 miles a year for a family living on a boat that moves and doesn’t have a residential mooring is a farce. It a family live on a boat permanently and can’t continuously cruise, should they be living on a boat without residential moorings?

I live on my boat and move. Since the beginning of May I have travelled over 220 miles and navigated some 140 locks. I am back on 14 day mooring where I set off from but will move probably before the 14 day time limit. Can’t guarantee I won’t be back though.

Excellent car hire available here.

5 hours ago, IanD said:

IIRC for CCing CART require that you move over a *range* of at least 20 miles to "satisfy the Board", not that the total distance is 20 miles.

Remember that CCing was introduced to allay the complaints of people who moved around the system and didn't see why they should have to find and pay for a home mooring that they never used -- which was perfectly reasonable.

Now it's being abused by more and more people who want to basically stay in one "place" (e.g. family, kids at school) but don't want to pay for or can't get a home mooring where they want to be.

Nothing to do with an "out-of-date" definition of CCing, it's always been clear what the purpose of allowing a CC license was, the problem is people ignoring/abusing this and then complaining when they get caught.

The risk is that if this continues CART will either tighten the CC rules up further or possibly go back to enforcing the need for a home mooring, though this is unlikely; either way, law-abiding CCers will also suffer due to the rule-benders ?

It's legislation, CRT cannot do what it likes.